News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best sparkplugs?

Started by 72charger440, November 30, 2009, 12:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72charger440

what would be the best spark plug for a 440 be i have autolites 85 in it now but they seem to be getting fouled . i need something with a little more hotter spark  to burn all the fuel then these things. thanks :2thumbs:
72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

moparguy01

the 2 best plugs I've found for most all of my old mopars regardless of engine is either the cheapy champion plugs, or ngks. and they really seem to not like the platinum multi prong plugs. Those actually made my truck run worse and lose about 2 mpg with the platinum 4 prong plugs.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

72charger440

thanks guys. so the ngk xr5 have a hotter spark then my autolites?
mopar or no car!!!!

greenpigs

NGK XR4 are hotter than the 5's and were recomended for low CR motors. I run the 4's in my stock CR 72 440.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Quote from: 72charger440 on November 30, 2009, 10:15:45 PM
thanks guys. so the ngk xr5 have a hotter spark then my autolites?

Yep, the XR5 is slightly hotter than the 85. These plugs are awesome and resist fouling better than anything out there that i've found. Only NGK in my stuff !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

histoy

Are the XR5 resistor type plugs that will prevent radio interference?

b5blue

Yea XR, R= resister. Pick up some Firecore wires from Ron also...what a difference they make!  :2thumbs:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

72charger440

sweet sounds like thats what im pickin up tommarow. thanks
mopar or no car!!!!

Sweet T

If Ron puts NGK's in his motors than that will be what I put in mine next year.  I'm running AC Delco's right now....sounds kind on bowtie but they got me through another year.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

bull

The best kind are the ones that don't blow apart inside the chamber. :D

71charger_fan

I've sworn by Autolites for a very long time. However, the last set I bought from RockAuto came marked "Made in China." Time for a new brand. I think I'll try the NGKs.

Ghoste

I've had good luck with Champions forever personally but I seem to hear of others not liking them more and more. :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Quote from: Sweet T on December 03, 2009, 12:43:09 AM
If Ron puts NGK's in his motors than that will be what I put in mine next year. 

+1
Pretty simple math  Ron says it, i'm running it. Firecore wires too.  :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

c00nhunterjoe

what ngk number would you reccomend in an 11:1 motor running iron heads?

RD

just run a 400 2bbl champion spark plug.. its a hotter plug and I have never had an issue with them.  but.. to each his own.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander