News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so what should be on my list...

Started by Foreman72, November 28, 2009, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

so i'm trying to assemble a list of reasonably priced tools that i should buy in order to be in the best shape to begin myresto...what should be on my list and how much might it cost?  thanks :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

resq302

First and foremost, you need a decent quality tool set.  Something like Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, SK, etc. 
Secondly, I would get a decent torque wrench so you know the things are tightned to the propper torque.
If you already don't have one, get yourself a factory service manual..... they are worth their weight in gold!
Get a buddy to help and have plenty of beer on hand.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Foreman72

Quote from: resq302 on November 28, 2009, 04:14:31 PM
First and foremost, you need a decent quality tool set.  Something like Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, SK, etc. 
Secondly, I would get a decent torque wrench so you know the things are tightned to the propper torque.
If you already don't have one, get yourself a factory service manual..... they are worth their weight in gold!
Get a buddy to help and have plenty of beer on hand.

solid craftsman set...check
factory body/service manuals...check...
torque wrench...possible...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

A383Wing

G-man

resq302

I've done plenty a job properly with some beer around.  Besides, it made it less painful if I smashed my knuckles into something. :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rolling_Thunder

- Complete Wrench Set (2 sets sometimes needed)
- Complete ratchet and socket set
- Complete Allen wrench set (I perfer T handle set)
- Screwdriver set (flat and philips)
- Torque Wrench
- Drill Motor & bits
- Small pick set

It really depends on what kind of build you are doing - but these are about what you need for basic rebuilding and work on your car.

- MultiMeter!!!!
- Soldering Iron and Solder
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

vancamp

welder, plasma cutter, a good D.A., inline sander,spray gun,body hammers, wrenches,ratchet wrenches,ratchet,sockets,philips screwdriver,flat screw driver, alan head sockets, die grinder,torch and bottles,pliers,vise grips, panel clamps, body dollys, a rotisserie,torque wrench, blasting cabinet, parts washer, wiggle sockets,duct tape and BEER

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

carolina charger

I'd like to add to the list- a very good high CFM air compressor, and a sand blaster of some sorts.

mauve66

a flexible long reach magnet to get back the parts you dropped from being slightly inebriated ............................
a section of panty hose to find the metal slivers that will get stuck in your skin
i can' believe no one said safety glasses and small magnetic dish to hold small parts so you can keep the mganet in the package and maybe return it
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

A good jack and creeper...surprised nobody has said it yet?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

john.v

:scratchchin: what about a Camara and a note book to record everything you going to remove
:popcrn: and dont forget to post some of them photo's :popcrn:

mauve66

and some baggies to keep things seperated after you take them apart
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

jb666

Preparation H.

:cheers:

Hey, what can I say, it's what I needed for the past year, from my car.

miller time

torque wrench is like $40 shipped from jegs, got a case and like 10-150lbs its in the back buy the tires
gasket goop, a trunk load of rags, brake cleaner (cleans anything almost), the racheting wrenches (the ones with closed and open ends) they make so much stuff easier

NHCharger

Quote from: mauve66 on November 28, 2009, 06:39:36 PM

a section of panty hose

I've had to much beer. I thought you said " a selection of pantyhose". I'm thinking, WTH are you doing out in your garage :lol:

Eric, it depends on how much you plan on doing yourself. For instance if your doing your own bodywork your going to need one of them big compressors to keep up with the air tools. The cheap ones run around $500.00 and your looking at another 500-1,000 in air tools depending on quantity and quality. Doesn't take long to have 5k in tools and still not have what you need.  
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Grim Jhaixus

I'm new to Mopar, but have been a long time fan. I've done restos and mods and regular repairs and I promise you the best tools I've had the whole time have been a pair of separator forks, one for ball joints and one for tie-rods, $10 each at any part store. They have been the most useful things in my toolbox since before I had a toolbox. They help with leverage, tend to fit places a decent pry bar cannot, and they can separate almost anything. A bell housing is most recent in my mind.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

FLG

IMO...go to sears and get Craftsman.

When you break a tool...like ehem putting a 3ft bar on a 1/4 drive set because its the only one that fit and still managed to work even though it broke. You can go to sears with the tool and you get a new one.

Grim Jhaixus

Definitely Craftsman. It's a classic car, you will be using your tools in ways that will cause them to brake. Expect to go through ratchets. Craftsman is not the highest quality tool you can buy, but you can take back the mangled remains for shiny new tools at any Sears and I think Kmart now too. It seems like it's $25 every time I need a set of deep-well sockets or a pack of wrenches. I say buy the tools as you need them. The big 115 piece "mechanic"s tool set" looks like a good deal but I've yet to find a use for 1/4 inch drive anything or all the weird little hex bits they give you for the very terrible screwdriver. buy a six-pack of good old fashioned solid non-interchangeable screwdrivers, prolly $20, Stanley brand from Wal-Mart will do you fine, but stay away from Black and Decker power tools.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

68X426

Lighting, lighting, and more lighting. Do not go low or cheap on lighting.

Get a really good overhead shop light set up. Then two flexible clamp lights.

Then get the smallest brightest head lamp light you can find. They are worth their weight in gold. An example: http://www.rei.com/product/791312

Finally, lots of Guinness. :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

resq302

Now THATS something I wouldn't mind around my car OR garage! :drool5:
Brian

mauve66

Quote from: resq302 on November 29, 2009, 07:15:12 AM
Now THATS something I wouldn't mind around my car OR garage! :drool5:

YEAH, LOTS OF........................... did he say there was beer in that pic......................?
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

miller time

da-umn
Get the big black set of tools from Husky in Home Depot, I got mine a year or so ago and the 1/2 socket doubles as my hammer :D, untill I hit it on my truck's frame, and lost the switch for R/L but it still worked!, ook it back andgot a new one free, they weren't happy they had to cut open a brand new $150 (give or take) box for a single wrench, and I didn't have the recipte, :coolgleamA:

Foreman72

Quote from: NHCharger on November 28, 2009, 09:26:07 PM

Eric, it depends on how much you plan on doing yourself. For instance if your doing your own bodywork your going to need one of them big compressors to keep up with the air tools. The cheap ones run around $500.00 and your looking at another 500-1,000 in air tools depending on quantity and quality. Doesn't take long to have 5k in tools and still not have what you need. 

exactly...hence the list...i mean you've seen the car and you know better than i do what its going to take to start tearing it down :lol: i'm actually basing some of this list off the stuff you brought with you...

thanks for the input everyone...let me put a few more caps on this list...this is my $100 and cheaper tool list...thinks i should get ahold of so that i can begin tear down...i already have a beefy socket set...i was thinking like a floor jack, torch etc...

i was also thinking torque wrench...and of course the cheap stuff like magnet trays and baggies, notebook etc...those are all gonna be needed...

Eric "Foreman"