News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dixie Horns...which is best??

Started by Lizey, November 27, 2009, 12:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

going to buy a dixie horn for my car this week(end) need to know which one is overall the BEST possible any and all opinions welcome
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

kikgas01

Mike, I have a old wolo with the oil hole. That is correct as well right?

mikepmcs

I actually don't know to tell you the truth, but if it's an oldie I would imagine it is correct.  They outsourced and had 2 different ones made.  I believe the one from italy #430 is the correct one.

They also made a #003 which is definitely the wrong one. You can listen to them here and on the link I posted above.
http://www.hazzardretreat.com/buildageneral.asp
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Lizey

2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

A383Wing

jb666

Quote from: kikgas01 on November 27, 2009, 05:37:09 PM
Mike, I have a old wolo with the oil hole. That is correct as well right?

Yes. Mine requires oil every couple of months or it REALLY starts to slow down.

Next order of business is to install a REAL horn in my car... I am so tired of blowing this stupid horn when I actually want someone to MOVE. Everyone thinks it's a joke if they get  beeped at... Which it is.  :lol:

Lizey

i do have a question...

i live in the upper peninsula of michigan...it gets COLD up here...do i need to worry about using the horn in the cold? should i take the horn in for the winter? etc. if anyone else has had to do any of these things
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

jb666

I would think, like any other mechanical item with moving parts, that severe cold would effect it. It would probably get very sluggish in sub-freezing temps

MoparManJim

Quote from: jb666 on November 28, 2009, 08:22:09 PM
I would think, like any other mechanical item with moving parts, that severe cold would effect it. It would probably get very sluggish in sub-freezing temps

The one I have that my cousin is useing right now well was useing (not sure if he is yet or not), I had it for like 9 years, It would be in a car in the mid of winter and you could leave the car set for a month with weather at times -10 and you would think it would not work or play right. You hit the horn button and the thing was just find as the could ness didn't even effected it at all and I didn't even oil it either. 

But it depends on what kind of wire you use to install it with though, small wire it will drag, bigger wire it will run very good and I might mention loud  :smilielol: 

The loudness depends on the size of wire you use. 

But do not I repeat do not have your ear close to one of the dixie horn trumpets and have a friend inside the car  :RantExplode:

Lizey

Quote from: MoparManJim on November 28, 2009, 08:34:31 PM

The one I have that my cousin is useing right now well was useing (not sure if he is yet or not), I had it for like 9 years, It would be in a car in the mid of winter and you could leave the car set for a month with weather at times -10 and you would think it would not work or play right. You hit the horn button and the thing was just find as the could ness didn't even effected it at all and I didn't even oil it either. 

But it depends on what kind of wire you use to install it with though, small wire it will drag, bigger wire it will run very good and I might mention loud  :smilielol: 

But do not I repeat do not have your ear close to one of the dixie horn trumpets and have a friend inside the car  :RantExplode:

what guage wire do you/your cousin use that makes it work so good?? 14 or so?
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

MoparManJim

We used two different size wires, I know one was 16 but I think the other was 14 but not sure. I'll see if I can get ahold of him in the next few days and find out. We used the same relay that came with the horn when I first got it back in around 2000. But I'll half to think which wire we place on what termanil of the relay though. 

The horn when he was useing it ( the last I knew of) was very loud.

Quote from: Lizey on November 28, 2009, 08:46:34 PM

Lizey

Quote from: MoparManJim on November 28, 2009, 09:06:46 PM
We used two different size wires, I know one was 16 but I think the other was 14 but not sure. I'll see if I can get ahold of him in the next few days and find out. We used the same relay that came with the horn when I first got it back in around 2000. But I'll half to think which wire we place on what termanil of the relay though. 

if i hook it up to the original horn button do i need to rewire than whole thing with the heavier wire then?
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

MoparManJim

If your going to use your stock horn button, the wire from that button out the relay that comes with the trumpets is okay. But to add the new reply, I say if you want the horn loud, then yes run new wires.Also install a in line fuse. Also in the info sheet there is two diagrams, use the forn diagram when installing the horn. I could never get the other one to work for me.  

Also check where your going to be installing the trumpets at and see if there is room in that area.  

Quote from: Lizey on November 28, 2009, 09:43:00 PM

But it depends on what kind of wire you use to install it with though, small wire it will drag, bigger wire it will run very good and I might mention loud  :smilielol:  

But do not I repeat do not have your ear close to one of the dixie horn trumpets and have a friend inside the car  :RantExplode:

if i hook it up to the original horn button do i need to rewire than whole thing with the heavier wire then?

Lizey

Quote from: MoparManJim on November 28, 2009, 09:49:08 PM
If your going to use your stock horn button, the wire from that button out the relay that comes with the trumpets is okay. But to add the new reply, I say if you want the horn loud, then yes run new wires.Also install a in line fuse. Also in the info sheet there is two diagrams, use the forn diagram when installing the horn. I could never get the other one to work for me.  

Also check where your going to be installing the trumpets at and see if there is room in that area.  

Quote from: Lizey on November 28, 2009, 09:43:00 PM

But it depends on what kind of wire you use to install it with though, small wire it will drag, bigger wire it will run very good and I might mention loud  :smilielol:  

But do not I repeat do not have your ear close to one of the dixie horn trumpets and have a friend inside the car  :RantExplode:

where would you put it in a 92 Plymouth Acclaim?? im thinking in front of the radiator??
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

MoparManJim

Um not sure, each car or vehicle is alittle different from each other. But the trumpets are from around 6inches to 12 inches though. plus the air compressor is like a pop can size with a bigger top end on though. All these things will have to be mounted some where close by each other though.

Nacho-RT74

I remember on the TV series about half tone higher than the 430
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html