News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which mini starter should i get

Started by charger2fast4u, November 13, 2009, 04:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

hey i'm about to buy a mini starter for my 440. but theres alot of brands to go with.  my question is who makes the best quality mini starter for our cars? i don't want to have to buy another one months down the line because i got some cheaply made one thanks for the input.

bull

Khyron

buddy is just running a Dodge Dakota Starter in his pro street with some crazy compression. seems to work great for him, it replaced a $300 high torque one hehehe

he was pissed, but it cost him $60.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

charger2fast4u

anybody running the powermaster mini starters and did you have any trouble with them?  i have headers so it will have to clear them also.

werner

Have a  power master from Summit in my 528 hemi works great. 1 bolt tuff to get at to mount to block because of the 2 1/8 headers. Little grinding and bending of a cheap wrench and got it mounted. Some of the small starters are indexable but they are in the $300 range. This allows you to mount staretr in various positions if you have clearance issues. I think I bought mine for around $120.
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

bordin34

I bought one from DB electric, it cranked over my engine fine but didn't clear my headers. So make sure it will fit before you order one, now I have a useless starter sitting in my garage.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Back N Black

Quote from: bordin34 on November 24, 2009, 08:03:13 PM
I bought one from DB electric, it cranked over my engine fine but didn't clear my headers. So make sure it will fit before you order one, now I have a useless starter sitting in my garage.

What type of headers do you have on you car? I used the DB electric starter with no issues at all. (TTI Headers)

bordin34

I have a 400 with some no name headers, I think the low deck motor was my problem.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Cooter

I have CPPA Underchassis 2" Primary Headers on My Dart with 505 Big Block and a Junkyard $30.00 Dodge Truck 318 Magnum Starter has been cranking it fine for over 6 years...I'd go with a bunch of junkyard starters from different Dodge Trucks (RWD vehicles ONLY, as the FWD starter LOOKS the same, but is different) and see which one works then, if you decide to go with a new one, you will know which one to buy.. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger2fast4u

i ordered a DB electric mini starter. i have hooker comp headers and a mini starter not sure what manufacturer it is no name or numbers on it. so a DB starter should fit no problem. anyone running with headers i would suggest to get a starter blanket or header wrap both would be ideal. my hooker comp headers heat soaked my starter and it finally gave out on me.