News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a unbiased opinion

Started by wayfast1500, November 04, 2009, 01:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

A few summers ago I built my first muscle car, it was a 88 firebird formula ws6.  The car was proven to run a 11.8 with a 150 shot, so it was a decent build but still pretty mild.  I traded the car a little over a year ago and regretted it ever since.  I recently found the car again on craigslist being parted out.  The engine still has 0 miles, which tells me the guy most likely lost interest.  He wants to trade me my charger.  I just started to restore it, but really don't have any cash in it yet.  I have a feeling I won't be able to buy a charger again any time soon, and being only 21 by the time I'd have the cash or time to buy another one who knows how high the prices will go concidering these cars are not getting any more plentiful.  I've been trying to weigh the pros and cons but they seem to balance out (car built ready to go vs. needing to be built, cheap easy to find chevy parts vs. more expensive mopar parts, pricier insurance on the fbody vs. the 225/yr I was quoted on the charger, dime a dozen car vs. a more rare recognized charger).  This was the first car I built like I said so I'm kind of connected to it.  I'm not looking for a charger enthusiests opinion, instead I need more of a car guys opinion.  What would you guys do?

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

68X426

Quote from: wayfast1500 on November 04, 2009, 01:16:19 AMI'm not looking for a charger enthusiests opinion
Yeah but you asked the question on dodgecharger.com, so of course you will get biased answers. :scratchchin:

So, FWIW, the Charger will love you back in ways that a Brand X can not. There is nothing like a Mopar. It will understand you and always be your loyal companion. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

69bronzeT5

80's Firebirds will always be there where Chargers are getting harder and harder to find. I do understand the issue about being attached to the Firebird though, I could never get rid of any of my cars, they have more sentimental value than actual value to me. What I can see possibly happening though is since your Charger needs work, I can see the guy loosing interest with it also and who knows, maybe he'll part that out also. :shruggy: :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

68charger383

I'd say you were done with the firebird project and looking for a new one when you sold it. Although we dream of reliving the past, things are never the same twice, time to move on and stick with the charger project.  :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

The70RT

You should know what most of us are gonna say on here. Sounds like you got your mind made up already. You probably will hear what you wanna hear here - http://www.fbody.com  :slap:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooter

Keep the Charger, Those F-bodies are a dime a dozen...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

first car you built , hmmm yeah i can see what your saying  , why is it being parted ???  who knows whats happened to it in that time !! ,   :icon_smile_blackeye: ....  :popcrn:

whats your charger ??? 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

This is a no brain er. Just don't trade....find a way to buy back as much of your FB as you can but keep the Charger. :yesnod:

tricky lugnuts

I'd stick with the Charger, but of course I'm hanging out on DodgeCharger.com. You nailed it: it's the more unique car, the rarer car, and when done most likely the more valuable car. Easier isn't always better.

First builds are sentimental. I want the Plymouth Barracuda I once built back, but that can't happen. With time second builds can be just as sentimental if not more. Of course, the final decision lies with you and what you want to pursue - an 88 Firebird or an unspecified year Charger. Personally, given a 66-74 Charger, I'd go for the Charger every day of the week.

kidsixpack

If the Formula is being parted out it must be reasonable priced!  Try to scrape up the cash to get the Pontiac.  I must agree witht he majority here though.  The Charger no matter what year will be a keeper.  You can find another Formula down the road.  I did!
KID
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

wayfast1500

That's what I was thinking, the charger is a 73 318 SE, but it doesn't need anything major.  I see atliest 10 fbodys driving a day in the summer, where if I see one mopar a month I'm lucky.  I made up my mind imkeeping the charger thanks guys.

skip68

The two cars are going different directions.  The charger will continue to go up in value and the T/A will go down.   Well, maybe the T/A is at bottom and may start moving slow up in value.    :shruggy:    It will never go near as high as the Charger because they made MILLIONS of the fbody cars.   So, supply and demand will never get close.   That is the way to look at any car is how I was told by a old collector years ago.    Age takes second place to supply and demand on any car.    Example:  Model T's are VERY old but not bringing in big money.    They made MILLIONS of those and they are still easy to find so the demand is not there.   I think this goes for anything and not just cars.   Supply and demand runs the world.   The more rare, the more money it's worth and will be worth is a good rule.     Good luck...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

wayfast1500

Exactly the firebird is a dime a dozen type car, the only advantage to that is there is a million parts readily avalible which cost next to nothing.  The charger is definatly worth keeping, and after thinking about it I would regret getting rid of it, Ive wanted one since I was a kid and I dont know that Id ever get the opportunity to get another one.

Tilar

Quote from: 68charger383 on November 04, 2009, 01:44:15 AM
I'd say you were done with the firebird project and looking for a new one when you sold it. Although we dream of reliving the past, things are never the same twice, time to move on and stick with the charger project.  :Twocents:

I gotta agree with that. I've bought one car twice and the way I see it is it would be like marrying your ex wife all over again. You got rid of it for a reason.

Would you trade your Charger for a different 88 formula instead of the one you built? There is your answer.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

I do know a guy that remarried his ex-wife though, it was the only way he could come up with to get his full pension.

Tilar

I've heard of that happening before. There is a guy just down the road that worked almost 40 years at GM and was in that same situation where his ex was getting half of his pension... Initially he said he was going to work till he died or she died but he finally retired, and by the time she got her half, he ended up losing his house because he couldn't make the payments. And ya know, I feel bad for the guy because I know that women can be ruthless sometimes, but damn I would have thought that he would have put some money back working all those years.

Sorry to get so far off topic.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

greenpigs

Try to buy the rolling chassis...that shouldn't cost much. Don't sell the Charger as Fireturds will continue to drop in price. Sure not the one you owned but is it just because it was your first or do you prefer the more modern ride.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

wayfast1500

It was just because it was the first car I built.  I turned it away I like the charger too much.