News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help quick, Charger is stumbling.

Started by Khyron, October 27, 2009, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

well, to make a long story quick, I took my charger out a few weeks ago and realized quite fast the car has developed a "stumble" of sorts.

When I start it, I'll get a hard crank every now and then, then she'll start up and idle well. When driving it, It starts to stumble.

Basically, on acceleration she seems fine. When I'm cruising, the car seems to studder back and forth, almost like it's starving for gas. But if I floor it, it stammers again and then while coming down from speed, it backfired.... through the muffler, not the carb.

I tested all wires and they seem to ohm right, it's a MSD6al ignition system, electronic Mopar Distributor, it's got a Holley 750 vac secondaries. Eddie heads and beefy rotating assembly.

I borrowed a Eddie 750 from a friend and figured, maybe a carb swap is in order, i figured the carb could have crapped out and I cant stress how much I need the Charger this weekend. I can't seem to get this eddie carb to run... car doesn't even like to idle.

I took a plug reading, then are a light toasty brown. NO gas on the plugs, plugs aren't fouled out.

here is the weird part, when I took the Holley off, i kept if fairly level, and it seems to leak into the main area. U think the 10% ethanol kille dthe carb gaskets? asy Ideas... need me to test something? is there a way to test the MSD to see if I'm not getting enough spark?

tell me what to do, please :-(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

RECHRGD

FWIW I had similar syptoms and it turned out to be a bad coil.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Khyron

hmm, really, never even thought about the coil...

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Cooter

When you say "Hard crank", you refering to the "Too much timing" "Hard Crank"?

Check to make sure your Vaccum Advance isn't pulling your timing even further out of whack when you are at cruis speed....You wouldn't believe how many I've seen set up incorrectly.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Khyron

The Distributor is mechanical. No vacuum advance on it. hmmm, maybe the weights are out?

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Cooter

Well, unless you set the "base" timing at something rediculous like 19 Degrees or something, I'd say the timing isn't it..Only way to tell would be to put a timing light on it that is adjustable and rev the engine to around 3000 RPM then, watch to see just how far and when the weights for total timing come in..I'd keep it around 36 degrees TOTAL...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Khyron

she is at 36 degrees total... but jumping. i believe the distributer crapped the bed.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.