News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

kph speedometer for 68 charger

Started by charger9, October 27, 2009, 02:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger9

Is there somebody in this great forum who has a kph speedometer for 68 charger :icon_smile_question:
I know this is a rare part but I am exitet if anyone have one and if there is any response.
I will pay whatever it takes to get it :drool5: :popcrn:

ChargerST

Refacing a mph gauge wouldn't work for you? Hmm, try the Swiss (mopars.ch) or the Dutch Mopar Forums (mopar.nl) - Chrysler had plants in these countries and the cars that were built there had kph speedos. Chances are higher to find one in Switzland or the Netherlands.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ChargerST on October 27, 2009, 02:58:09 PM
Refacing a mph gauge wouldn't work for you?

I'm on same deal. We don't have restrictions down here in Venezuela to use miles or Kilo ( even we use metric system in all our history, only SOME Comonwealth countries beside USA still drive Miles ), but will be great to have one.

decal ? will work to the speedo itself but not for the counter
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

UFO

Keep looking they are out there.You have three models years to choose from(68-69-70).
A quick way to tell if you have a original kph speedo is the odometer numbers roll the opposite direction than the mph ones.(At least on mine they do)

maxwellwedge

Refacing a mph gauge wouldn't work for you? Hmm, try the Swiss (mopars.ch) or the Dutch Mopar Forums (mopar.nl) - Chrysler had plants in these countries and the cars that were built there had kph speedos. Chances are higher to find one in Switzland or the Netherlands.

None of our cars were built there - They were all built in North America and shipped there with the appropriate gauge's etc. That being said you are right about some cars and parts being out there with the KPH speedo's.

ChargerST

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 29, 2009, 08:36:19 PM

None of our cars were built there - They were all built in North America and shipped there with the appropriate gauge's etc. That being said you are right about some cars and parts being out there with the KPH speedo's.

They were assembled there - there was a plant in Rotterdam and Schinznach (Switzerland) - I think a few models in France as well. They also received different VINs and additional tags. But as far as I remember not all models were built there..mainly A bodies (Darts and Valiants). http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/rotterdam.html

Back to the topic: I don't know which speedometers these cars had but a European Dart GTS 340 should have a 240 kph (150 mph) gauge, right?

charger9

Okay so swiss mopar sites is the best place to get a kph speed?
I have never seen them on ebay. There is one man I can buy a mph with kph face on ebay, so maybe
I will go for that until I find the original one.
Do you have more than one of this speedo UFO? What about selling one to me :eyes:
Hope some of you can give me a hint if you see one on the net for sale :'(
Thanks for all replys :2thumbs:

UFO

Quote from: charger9 on October 30, 2009, 03:23:35 PM

Do you have more than one of this speedo UFO? What about selling one to me :eyes:

No I don't have more than one.This is only the second one I seen for sale in a long time and did not make the mistake again of not buying it.

charger9

I understand that you not will sell if they are so rare.
I will buy a mph speedo with a kph face on it until I get the original one.
Hope I will find one some day  ;)

bull

Canadian Chargers didn't have kph in '70? Did Canadian cars start getting kph speedos when the nation switched over or was it later?

Ghoste

Canada switched over later in the 70's and it wasn't until then that we began to get the speedo's rated that way.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2009, 07:44:17 AM
Canada switched over later in the 70's and it wasn't until then that we began to get the speedo's rated that way.

I read somewhere that it was 1970 when they switched.

Troy

I lived in Canada in the late 70s and I remember my dad buying stickers to put on the speedometer face for the conversion.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

The legislation requiring it may have been as early as 1970 but I can tell you for sure the change for distance and speedometers measured in kilometers didn't occur until about 1977.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Troy on November 06, 2009, 04:07:43 PM
I lived in Canada in the late 70s and I remember my dad buying stickers to put on the speedometer face for the conversion.

Troy

10+ years too late to be a draft dodger..... :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2009, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Troy on November 06, 2009, 04:07:43 PM

Troy

10+ years too late to be a draft dodger..... :icon_smile_big:
I was 8. Most all of my cars are older than me. ;) I may have missed the 60s but I remember having to wear those hideous 70s clothes (mostly plaid pants and button up shirts with GIANT collars). We moved back to the US in '81 - just in time for parachute pants, huge shoe laces, and Madonna/Cindi Lauper (with all their neon and lace sporting fans).

Troy

maxwellwedge

Are you saying I should stop wearing that stuff?  :hah:

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2009, 08:26:02 PM

what would all the guys down at Tim Horton's think if you did?

Ghoste

As long as you know all your hockey stats, no one at Tim's cares much what you look like. :icon_smile_wink:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pettybird on November 06, 2009, 11:04:37 PM

what would all the guys down at Tim Horton's think if you did?

Good point - Thanks!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2009, 11:07:18 PM
As long as you know all your hockey stats, no one at Tim's cares much what you look like. :icon_smile_wink:

And....That is easy if you are a Leaf fan - Zero wins!  :lol:

maxwellwedge

What topic was this again?

Has anyone seen my dog?

Troy

No! You have to match your cars... ;)

Troy

bull

I know road trips back in the '70s were pretty relaxed. How many of you guys remember taking naps on the shelf of the back window while dad drove down the freeway at 80 mph? Or playing with your toy cars in the back of the station wagon while going cross-country? You couldn't buy a car seat let alone find the seatbelts in anything back then. I never heard of bicycle helmets until the mid-80s or so.

troy.70R/T

How about the plastic seat covers that burned your legs in the summer when you were wearing shorts. I remember we had them on a black 74 pontiac with black interior. :o