News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 sputter

Started by charger72, November 28, 2005, 03:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger72

I  have a 74 pickup with a 69 318 2bbl. It has been running fine, but when I went to take off last night when i was cranking it it ackted like it was too advanced so i adjusted it and noticed some rain water on top of the cap it started and seemed to run fine after a bit. But this morning it did the same thing and it seemed to lack alot of power(it will still downshift if you floor it) and the motor rattles alot. It always rattled some but not this much. There isnt any smoke or anything and the oil is fine. The cap,rotor, etc all looks fine. Could the timing chain maybe going out? as of right now, it will start back up though after I shut it off.

BigBlackDodge

Timing chains on 318's are notorious for going out...............have you checked the timing? The rattles could be the valve train.........lifters etc.

BBD

cudaken

Check the chain for deflection! OK, worn out. ;D Bring to to TDC by hand and pull the cap. Then watch the rotor and turn it backwards. When the rotor moves stop and look at the timing mark. If it has moved 6 degress it time for a new chain. I think that is the number, been a while.

Cuda Ken
I am back