News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Reassembly (Beers Third gen)

Started by Beer, October 25, 2009, 12:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Nice progress Jim....keep at it !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Beer

OK, new front Suspension parts going in (car is at my favorite Mechanics house)...sorry no pics yet.  Basically the Mancini racing B-Body front suspension kit i.e. new tie rods, Ball joints etc...plus new calipers and roters, wheel bearings etc...

Jim
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

SG1022

Beer

The Black Steering column is in, motor is back in but have issues with the oil pan clearing. It seemed to bearly clear ok with the origional suspension parts in.  Put in the Mancini Racing Chassis rebuild kit and it seems the oil pan hits now.  Rear Brakes are being plumbed, the rear brake line kit needs to be reworked to match the Disk Brake Calipers. 

Pics when able. But progess is being made.  Still need to buy Torque convertor and Tranny.

Pics of the oil pan the first test fit years ago !

Just checkin...this position on the block right for the SB mount?

I think we changed this on and put it back behind the tabs...
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Beer

Here is the latest Update,  Car is still at my mechanics house, he has an awesome shop, and works with me very nicely. 

Here is the car yesterday...

Here is the problem (below) we are tring to overcome...tight oil pan clearance...has to go back for a lil mo fabbing...

This is what we found when we took the oilpan off.  Engine had a couple dyno runs on it a few years ago...any ideas of what the crud is??

Have the dash ready to go, not sure which cluster I am gonna use, have a nice 150 MPH Rally cluster I got from Bob, but the wiring is currently set up for for non rally...plus I may send the 150 cluster for resto.  Once the dash is back in the windshield will go in.  have the rear uppers I need recovered, I have to check on a new upholstery shop.  Got the torque convertor coming, and talking to a local tranny shop to build me a 727.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on June 14, 2011, 07:47:19 AM
This is what we found when we took the oilpan off.  Engine had a couple dyno runs on it a few years ago...any ideas of what the crud is??

Jim, that is the moly lube/paste you used on your lifters/cam lobes for the break-in  :yesnod:

A buddy had to put a notch in his k-member for the Milodon low profile pan to clear up front....no problems with the steering crosslink. I'm wondering if your engine is in the correct location ; it migt be set back a hair  :scratchchin:

Nice progress....keep it up  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bajaherbie

Wow! nice build thread! i may have a few questions for you....

Beer

Update!  I have Brakes now! Windshield is in. Motor and Headers are in.  Instead of notching the K Frame we modified the oil pan.

Here is the latest round of pics.  Even being garaged, its already getting rusty  :-\

FLG

Its coming along  :cheers: :cheers:

But man, wheres all that rust coming from?? Might want to take care of it before it gets worse  :-\

The70RT

Quote from: FLG on July 18, 2011, 12:16:31 AM
Its coming along  :cheers: :cheers:

But man, wheres all that rust coming from?? Might want to take care of it before it gets worse  :-\

Must be a lot of humidity in the garage?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beer

Updated pics from today.

Windshield and rear glass trim in place, and some overall pics.  Qill be bringing it home this week.  Tranny, and final interior work to follow.

Beer

It see's DAYLIGHT!

Got it home today.

Still needs tranny, gonna work on wiring harnesses and wutnut next couple o weeks.

SG1022

I NEED those wheels and tires!!  :drool5:

jaak

Beer

Thanks guys.

Some before it was on the trailer pics at the shop...

Found the front top bumper spacer  :icon_smile_big:  Gotta pull em off and paint em Black

Beer

A year later, the Charger (my going on 7 year restoration effort) survived my Divorce (the Charger was my Ex-Wifes Grandfather's car...he was the origional owner)...The Charger is legally mine...

Meetin up with NH Charger this weekend to pick up a SB 727...pretty much the last major piece to the project...2013 it should be back on the road as it turns 40 years old (sure dont look 40 years old!).

Will post progress sorry I been away a bit, but thats life! 

Cheers

Jim

ODZKing

Good to see that it ended in the posession of someone who truly appreciates it.
I have had friends who in a similar situation one partner got it and couldn't care lees.  Either drove it into a wreck or sold it dirt cheap to someone who only needed wheels.
Good for you and good luck.  It's looking GREAT!   :2thumbs:

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

The70RT

Sorry to hear that, glad you retained the Charger It's good hear your getting back to normal now. I was wondering what was going on with the car since you posted on here last.  :wave:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beer

The remaining worklist and additions to this thread is pretty much:

Tranny buy, rebuild, install. This is in work starting next Saturday, thanks to NH Charger  :2thumbs:.

Gonna need a shorter driveshaft I think (was a 904 switching to 727)...I have two that I think a shop can shorten need to find a shop that does that in New England.

Install wiring harnesses (all of em)

Install carpet and headliner (need to buy headliner)

Install misc body and interior trim

Buy Exhaust and install

Fire it up!

Wicked72

would be some good info on the driveshaft I have one thats from a 904 and im going to a 727 big block
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on January 09, 2013, 12:06:13 PM
The remaining worklist and additions to this thread is pretty much:

Tranny buy, rebuild, install. This is in work starting next Saturday, thanks to NH Charger  :2thumbs:.

Gonna need a shorter driveshaft I think (was a 904 switching to 727)...I have two that I think a shop can shorten need to find a shop that does that in New England.

Install wiring harnesses (all of em)

Install carpet and headliner (need to buy headliner)

Install misc body and interior trim

Buy Exhaust and install

Fire it up!

Won't be long now Jimmy !  :icon_smile_big:

Glad to hear you've still got the car despite some personal setbacks  :2thumbs:

Ron

Beer

Progress!   

Tranny is in (thanks NH Charger for running a SB 727 down for me  :cheers:), car turns over using the key (fuel line not connected yet, no fluids in tranny yet either)...have 3" TTi X pipe Header back exhaust system enroute...having driveshaft fabbed...

I just may be able to drive it soon :)

I will have pics in a few weeks on the rig will post em when home :2thumbs:

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"