News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

should I use Stabil in the gas year round?

Started by Charger72SE, October 23, 2009, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

I'm putting low miles on my Charger the last couple years (2-3 tanks of gas during driving season).  And I've been getting some knocking which I think is due to the gas.  Wisconsin seems to have ethynol in all gas, even though I'm driving out of the counties where it is mandated to fill up.

I'm thinking that adding Stabil will make sure the gas doesn't deteriorate since I'm not driving the Charger a lot.

will using Stabil all the time have any bad effects on the engine/carb?

I know, I know - I should be driving it more!!

thanks much

Charger RT

I live in Florida and have been doing that to my charger for about 4 years. I usually only drive the car in the winter but gas seems to go bad down here quick. I treat all my gas cans in the garage too. I have had gas go bad in the lawn mowers sitting in the garage during the very short winters we get. As far as the carb on the car I have seen no issues. With the mowers treating the fuel has prevented a carb rebuild or 2. I started doing it to them because the gas went bad in the rider and push mower the same year and I had to rebuild both to get them running right in the spring. Before that insident I use to try to treat the car before parking it and the gas cans near the end of summer but that year the cans got treated but some how enough of that gas didn't make it into the mowers. So now I just treat all the cans all the time and I treat the car everytime I put gas in unless I fill it and am going to use most of it that day or weekend. I will then treat what ever is left when I park it.
Tim

Charger72SE

thanks, Tim

I've been doing the same for storage of all motors, but wasn't sure of any effect on the Mopar engines

69bronzeT5

Thought I'd add onto this Stabil thread instead of making a new one (hope that's alright?). I will be parking my Duster for the winter (well most of it) and I heard the best thing to put into the tank is Stabil. Now, I'm thinking about driving it on nice winter days but nothing with snow or whatever. Will the Stabil be fine to run/burn off with the gas?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger-Bodie

Id use 110 octane race gas instead of stabil. Im not a huge fan of that product.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dstryr

I've used Stabil and not used Stabil, had 1/2 or 1/4 tanks of gas for 2-3 or more years and not run a car more than 1-2 times in that time frame and have never had a fuel issue either way.  Over one winter I don't see a problem with keeping the tank topped off if you are driving the car and starting it once or twice while the weather is bad and you're not driving it.  It seems like the worst thing on these cars with carbs is that condensation gets inside more easily than with fuel injection when the air is moist and the temps are fluctating rapidly.   To answer your question, it won't hurt to drive it with the stuff in the fuel.   :Twocents:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 27, 2009, 04:08:03 PM
Id use 110 octane race gas instead of stabil. Im not a huge fan of that product.

Can you tell us why you are not a fan :shruggy:

Bremer

I've heard if you use aviation fuel it wont go bad.  Guys use it in anything that doesn't get used much or over the winter.  Now getting your hands on some could be a problem.  Aviation fuel comes with a high cost but so do repairs.  Peace of mind.  Whats that worth? Put it in and park it for the winter.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on October 27, 2009, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 27, 2009, 04:08:03 PM

Can you tell us why you are not a fan :shruggy:

Well the trouble ive had with it has been with small engines ielawnmower weedeater type stuff.

It makes things very hard to start in spring and can fowl plugs.

Its just way easier to put some race fuel in....In the spring you just start it up and burn it.....Race gas has a very very long shelf life.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

B5charger

Go ahead and use Stabil.  I've used it in all my toys and never had a problem

Sublime/Sixpack

Here's some input based on my experiences,

-I keep reading that todays gasoline can go bad in just 60 days, but I haven't experienced that problem in any my cars that I don't drive much in the winter.  I don't use Sta-bil in said cars, and by the time Spring rolls around the gasoline is roughly five to six months old. :shruggy: Granted I do fire up each one and let them reach operating temperture (I actually drive the cars with multiple carbs to flush the outboards), once a month or every two months.

-On dirt bikes, mowers, trimmers, etc. I run them dry then store them for the winter.

-I do use Sta-bil in the street bike because I don't drain its carbs. or store it for winter. The bike is 25 years old, has four carbs, runs great and the carbs have never been off or serviced.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak