News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help identify piston??

Started by 69charger440, October 21, 2009, 08:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger440

It is a ross piston! the numbers on the top of the piston are 99896. Or, upside down they read 96866. underneath the piston it says "ROSS" and the numbers 437RB. Trying to find the specs! I bought this motor a while ago the guy who i bought it from told me it was a 500 STROKER. the rods are 6.760.
Just trying to figure out the compression ratio, and CC's and so on!! The numbers are really clear it is a new motor, has not been started yet. But it from a druggy who was trying to open a medical marijuana store. That is the reason I want to double check everything!!! Thanks!! Any help would be great.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

maxwellwedge

Here is a link to their price sheet.   http://www.rosspistons.com/2009_RACER_Pricesheet.pdf  Maybe you can work backwards from there.

69charger440

No, I don't see any of the part number on that sheet! I will probably have to give ross a call in the morning!!

firefighter3931

That pn is not showing up on the Ross website. Is this a flattop or dome piston ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69charger440

It is a dished piston. I also looked on the website couldn't find anything!! So I will give Ross a call in a couple hours.

69charger440

well just called ross!!  Here is what they are::

Bore- 4.350
Comp Height- 1.865
Dished at 32CC

Thanks to All,  :2thumbs:I will be asking a lot more questions when I start building this motor.

firefighter3931

That piston is for a 493ci build based on the compession height (1.865) but has a huge dish (32cc)  :o

What are your plans for this engine ? You will need a small chamber head to bring the static compression up to a reasonable level, inmo  :Twocents:

** i just calculated the static compression using some popular heads :

Edelbrock 84cc RPM's = 9.03 CR
Indy 75cc EZ's = 9.65 CR

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69charger440

Yeah, I just did the same thing. Came up with 8.90 compression ratio!!!   Well I got this motor for $1500. Everything is brand new. Came with edelbrock 84cc heads. So I am thinking I will have to make this a supercharged engine!! 

Or maybe you (RON) will have some other ideas????

Challenger340

You could mill the hell outa various Heads to bump it up CR wise, but not a real good way to get the pressure up, with that big of a dish in the Piston ?

Mill some INDY EZ Heads .050(or more), & correct the Intake faces, get yourself up around 10:1 or better ?

You are still tuning that BIG Dish though ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

firefighter3931

I guess the big question is what are you looking for out of this engine ? How much power do you want to make ? Any plans to race it or just a cruiser ?

Even with the low compression it will still make lots of power 500+Hp and 550+Tq with the right parts. Pump gas will be no problem !  ;)

Ron

69charger440

Well my father (idahogrumpybear) helped built a pretty nice 470 stroker. And that thing put out 620 HP. I was wanting something around there!! You know father like son. But it will be mostly a street cruiser, taken to the track every couple months!! I guess I am going to have to figure out what heads to get and milling the heck out of them!! :brickwall: But it might be cheaper to just change the pistons. I still might need to get indy heads anyhow. How well do edelbrock 84cc heads flow after port work? Anyone have flow numbers. If i could open up the eddys enough them maybe save some cash there!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on October 22, 2009, 12:51:14 PM
Well my father (idahogrumpybear) helped built a pretty nice 470 stroker. And that thing put out 620 HP. I was wanting something around there!! You know father like son. But it will be mostly a street cruiser, taken to the track every couple months!! I guess I am going to have to figure out what heads to get and milling the heck out of them!! :brickwall: But it might be cheaper to just change the pistons. I still might need to get indy heads anyhow. How well do edelbrock 84cc heads flow after port work? Anyone have flow numbers. If i could open up the eddys enough them maybe save some cash there!

To make over 600 "real world" horsepower with Edelbrock heads requires a descent port job, solid roller cam, single plane intake, 850cfm carb and 11:1 compression. Sure it can be done but not without modifications to the current configuration.  :Twocents:

Ron

69charger440

Yeah, that is what I need to know! Solid cam is no problem. I have a single plane intake, and and can always get another. I am not sure if the heads will flow for that much power! Around, how much CFM would I have to get out of the eddy head to get there? I planned on getting a bigger carb, all I have is a 750 Holley at the moment! Do you think if I could get my compression up to 10:1 it might work with the edelbrock heads? I need to see I should just save the money and get the pistons changed or shave the eddy's. Or just save ALOT of money and get the Indy heads with new pistons?

Steve P.

An 871 BDS blower sounds about right to me....    :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69charger440

I talked to a machinist. He told me it would cost $1000 to port the heads and valve job and shave the heads. Does this sound like a good price? Never dealt with it before.

Challenger340

Quote from: 69charger440 on October 24, 2009, 12:12:53 AM
I talked to a machinist. He told me it would cost $1000 to port the heads and valve job and shave the heads. Does this sound like a good price? Never dealt with it before.

That depends HOW MUCH, or to WHAT LEVEL of each JOB he is going to ?

Around the $1,000 mark including  Porting, Comp Valve Grind & Milling, that WILL support 600 hp on EDDY's, this is "about" what you should expect, review here;

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2769;sa=showPosts;start=580
Only wimps wear Bowties !

69charger440

Well I just measured the clearance of the piston to the head. It turns out to be .010 before gasket! So using a .039 gasket that puts me at almost .050 for quench. I know I would rather be close to zero as possible, but would this still put out some good HP numbers.

I keep going back and forth on::   :scratchchin: SUPER CHARGER  :scratchchin:-or-  :scratchchin:SHAVING HEADS & PORTING :scratchchin: to build up compression. I really dont want to change out the pistons!

How difficult is it to setup and tune a roots blower?

Also, what do I have to do to put in a roller cam? Line Bore the camshaft journals?! Never put one in!

Thanks to all. I always have questions, maybe one day I will run out!!

b5blue

Blown motors don't want high compression do they?  :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on November 17, 2009, 03:13:41 PM
Well I just measured the clearance of the piston to the head. It turns out to be .010 before gasket! So using a .039 gasket that puts me at almost .050 for quench. I know I would rather be close to zero as possible, but would this still put out some good HP numbers.

I keep going back and forth on::   :scratchchin: SUPER CHARGER  :scratchchin:-or-  :scratchchin:SHAVING HEADS & PORTING :scratchchin: to build up compression. I really dont want to change out the pistons!

How difficult is it to setup and tune a roots blower?

Also, what do I have to do to put in a roller cam? Line Bore the camshaft journals?! Never put one in!

Thanks to all. I always have questions, maybe one day I will run out!!

Blowers are nice but by the time it's all said and done you will have 5k into it.  :P

My suggestion ; send the heads to Bob and let him port them for you. He has Lots of experience with the E-Heads and does outstanding work. Bob is also out west so shipping won't be too expensive. Have him spec out a custom street roller for the build as well. I'm sure he can come up with a 600hp recipe ...no problem  :apimp:

Ron

69charger440

i am sorry but i am not sure who BOB is. I know i will fill dumb when you tell me. But i will definetly give him a message. I am hoping to get over 625 horse power, if at all possible. Would it be better to achieve this with a full roller camshaft. Not to educated about roller cams but eager to learn.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on November 17, 2009, 09:38:25 PM
i am sorry but i am not sure who BOB is. I know i will fill dumb when you tell me. But i will definetly give him a message. I am hoping to get over 625 horse power, if at all possible. Would it be better to achieve this with a full roller camshaft. Not to educated about roller cams but eager to learn.

Bob is member Challenger340 who posted earlier on this thread. Look at some of his earlier posts on cylinder head porting....he does top shelf work and is a Mopar guy with 30 years experience.  :2thumbs:

Roller cam is the best way to go for those power levels using an Edelbrock head.  :yesnod:

Ron

69charger440

Thanks for your patience and your insight, ron. What do i have to do to the engine block to use a roller cam? Hopefully you are going to MATS. I owe you a few beers! Would enjoy meeting you.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on November 17, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
Thanks for your patience and your insight, ron. What do i have to do to the engine block to use a roller cam? Hopefully you are going to MATS. I owe you a few beers! Would enjoy meeting you.

No worries, your questions are all good.  ;)  The only way to learn is to ask  :2thumbs:

No mods required to the stock block to run a roller cam. There are a few items that are roller cam specific ; bronze distributor drive, thrust button and that's pretty much it. You do need to run an electric fuel pump which isn't a bad idea anyway if you're looking to make 600+ hp  :yesnod: You will need a good quality rocker arm setup to make it live sucessfully on the street. Harland Sharp's are fine in this application...that's what i run.

Hoping to go to the MATS this year....hopefully they don't change the date again because i've allready booked my vacation time.  :icon_smile_big: You coming down with your Dad ? It would be nice to meet you guys and toss back a few cold  :cheers:

Ron

69charger440

Well i go to MATS every year. My father has been twice. Last year it waz tough getting him out there. He is a busy guy with work and building cars. But i will be there for sure, just got my buddies 69 superbee running good so we will cruise that up.

Yea i was thinking about the harland sharp 1.6 kit. But got to do one thing at a time. Just bought a house so i cant dump all my money into the charger anymore. Plus, gotta wife too.