News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 Engine & Keisler Auto/OD Trans Install: MORE PICS ADDED!

Started by bill440rt, October 20, 2009, 07:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Whew!
Spent all day yesterday getting everything ready to install the engine/trans in the car. Everything went in sometime around mid-afternoon. We took our time, no major headaches.
A few minor snafus with the Keisler trans install:
1) The shifter selector sensor now does not come pre-installed. This prevented me from installing a few other items, as the sensor must be installed a certain way. The instruction sheet had also been superceded since I bought my setup, I had the incorrect one. One quick call to Keisler...  :whistling:
2) The trans mount had interference with the tail shaft bolts and a speedo sensor connector, there was basically no room. Another quick call to Keisler...  :whistling: ...    Had to remove two tabs off the mount, a quick lop with the hacksaw took care of it.
3) Got the engine in & the trans under the car, turns out I did not dimple the floor enough.  :brickwall: Removed the trans, a few whacks with the sledge, back in it went.

Otherwise, it was a real nice installation.

I took off from work this entire week just to work on the car. If anyone wants to lend a hand, I have a fridge full of beer to make it a little more worthwhile.  ;) :cheers:

I do not have pics during installation, there just wasn't enough hands to go around. I WILL post pics later of the post-installation.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Veeery cool Bill!  look forward to the pics & further progress! :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Man, it's been a busy week. Finally, here are some pictures.

Here it is first installed, and a few of the trans installed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

A few more of the trans.
The hard trans cooler lines need to be routed yet. Keisler supplies some generic looking pre-bent hard lines. They need to be tweaked, especially to clear the headers. The get routed to the radiator, then out to the Keisler trans cooler, then back to the trans.

A few wires still need to be tucked up & routed away from the headers. Still have to connect & adjust the shifter cable, too.

bill440rt

Here are some more after today.
I have the rad in place, mocked up to check for fan clearance. It's good!!  :ricky:

There's still a lot of wiring to do. I also need to install the throttle position sensor for the trans. LOTS of little things.
I also started installing the rest of the exhaust. The TTI headers fit awesome. And Ron, you were right, installing the plugs is a breeze with those angled Eddy heads!!  :2thumbs:

I'm hoping by early next week to have the trans lines sorted out and the rest of the exhaust installed. Then I can finish up the wiring, hoses, radiator, fan, etc etc etc etc etc.....     :faint:

tan top

good stuff going on ,   been thinking of their auto box my self ,  
    good lot of pictures  , be intrested  hearing about on the road performance  !!
what rear gears you running ??
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

Hi tan top,
It's got 3:91's out back. You have to give Keisler info like your gears, tire size, etc.

I also sent in the measurement for the driveshaft, I should have it by next week.

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

tan top

Quote from: bill440rt on October 23, 2009, 02:45:11 PM
Hi tan top,
It's got 3:91's out back. You have to give Keisler info like your gears, tire size, etc.

I also sent in the measurement for the driveshaft, I should have it by next week.

:cheers:  thanks for the info  :2thumbs:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Bill, your work is up to it's usual standards....what more is there to say but AWESOME !  :2thumbs:

I told ya those TTI's were worth it !  :icon_smile_big:

Lots of work in just a short period of time....keep at it man ! Looking forward to seeing this car someday !  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 24, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
I expect to see it by the MANats :cheers:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Haven't had soda come out my nose in a while, thanks Chris!

Finished up the TTI exhaust today. Some trimming was needed off the "X" pipe just before the mufflers. About 4-5" per side was needed. Same out back right before their tips to get them to line up properly. Exhaust is tucked up real nice. I went with the Dynomax Ultra Flows. It was a small cost upgrade with the TTI system. The "X" pipe clears the trans beautifully, which I guess is one benefit over the GV overdrive box. I think I'm missing one small harness for the shifter selector, it's nowhere to be found. Gotta call Keisler again....  :whistling:
I hope to do some more on the rest of the wiring tomorrow. My machinist is coming over this week with his tube bender to help me finish off the tranny lines, then I can finish final-installing the rad, fan shroud etc.
I'll post more progress pics during the week.

bull

bill440rt

Got some more stuff buttoned up on the engine. STILL lots more to do. So many little things that add up to a lot.
I've got some hoses routed, most of the wiring is done (still need to do more & neaten things up), battery tray, MSD is wired, alternator, etc. Trans lines are now fitted, too.
Got the driveshaft from Keisler the other day, gotta install that too.
Here are some more pics. These show the serpentine kit completed, trans lines bent to fit, and fuel line routing. Disregard the hoses & loose wiring, some of them need to be finished.

bill440rt

I installed a Painless fuse block on the firewall for the 100-amp alternator.
Also started is the A/C stuff. Yeah, I polished up the aluminum lines, too. I couldn't leave them alone.
I also installed the dipstick tube, finally. That was a project in itself. It came from 440 Source, chrome plated tube, made in China billet dipstick. Tube was waaay too big for the opening in the block. Filing... fitting... filing... fitting... filing... fitting. 2 hours later, dipstick was in.  :flame:

I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

b5blue

WOW! BEE-YOU-TEA-FULL BILL!  :2thumbs: What aircleaner are you using?

bill440rt

Hey, Neal!  :wave:

I using a regular repro 6-pack air cleaner. I smoothed out the base, most of these have terrible stamping waves. I sprayed it with PPG black base/clear.
Lid is a chrome repro, no decals. Just chrome. I also have these cool little billet thingies for the air cleaner, you'll just have to wait & see!  ;)  :popcrn:

b5blue

Looks nice Bill but the black MSD box on the firewall looks close! I was just working on my car and there's not much room by the voltage regulator.

bill440rt

Yeah, Neal. I know what you mean. I was sweating bullets it wouldn't clear.
The air cleaner actually sits a little higher than the MSD. Omitting the rubber mounting "feet" from the MSD helped. MSD said it was OK, that the feet weren't necessary.
I had to tweak the drain tube on the air cleaner base a little also. A little tight, but it fits.

b5blue

Sweet deal and you don't need a regulator for your 100 amp alt. ether!  :cheers: I can't wait to see how this all looks when your done....The green is Mean!  :D