News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood insulation pads

Started by hemi68charger, October 20, 2009, 06:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Were Daytonas supposed to have the hood insulation pad? It looks nice and all, but I'm tired of the dang thing already. It rubs the top of my air cleaner and I bet adds to the heat "insulation" in the engine compartment.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

There's no rhyme or reason on the hood insulation pads.  Cars that were coded for J55 quite often didn't get them, and more than a few cars that were NOT coded for J55 somehow ended up with the hood pads (and no undercoating, of course).

If the car was supposed to receive that treatment, the "regular" '69 Charger hood probably had the insulation pad installed on it, along with the undercoating.  Once that hood came off, all bets were also off as to whether an insulation pad went back on the new hood.

What's that mean?  If you don't like the hood insulation pad, take 'er off.  There's no way to prove that it either was or was not there when the car rolled away from C.I. apart from Day 1 pictures.

:Twocents:

hemi68charger

Thanks Geno..
My only fear is the paint doesn't look as good as the rest and also, those clips probably chipped the paint on the inner diameter of the holes. But, so what.. I have touch up paint. Sure beats having to replace the air cleaner lid every time I want to show it. It would the paint off my other six pack lid. Off it's going........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

johntpr

Problem is that the repros made by REM are all too thick. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: johntpr on October 21, 2009, 08:00:48 AM
Problem is that the repros made by REM are all too thick. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that would explain it....
Troy

hergfest

I had the thick one also and I just took it off because I had the same problem with it scraping up the air cleaner.  I need to get one of the thin ones but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rolling_Thunder

I have thought about adding a hood pad to my Charger just for the sake of doing something - is there any where that has the thinner (correct) style ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

FJ5WING

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 21, 2009, 03:35:46 PM
I have thought about adding a hood pad to my Charger just for the sake of doing something - is there any where that has the thinner (correct) style ?

not yet!

If there was we would be all over it. I just added a new molded pad from REM and also noticed its rubbing on the air cleaner top....... :brickwall: I figured it was due to the intake and would need to modify the air cleaner to provide clearence.
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 21, 2009, 06:56:49 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 21, 2009, 03:35:46 PM

not yet!

If there was we would be all over it. I just added a new molded pad from REM and also noticed its rubbing on the air cleaner top....... :brickwall: I figured it was due to the intake and would need to modify the air cleaner to provide clearence.

Nope.. With it on, I use my black non-painted six pack air cleaner lid and change it out when I get to the show destination. But, that's becoming a pain....

Troy
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

I finally beat that rubbing issue by using a drop base on my unsilenced air cleaner
Chris' '69 Charger R/T