News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you check compression/leakdown with the engine out of the car?

Started by bull, November 28, 2005, 04:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

My 383 doesn't run at the moment. I believe it has a fuel problem such as a bad carb or fuel pump but the larger problem is a vibration at anything over an idle. I never messed with the engine much because I just assumed I'd have it rebuilt while the car is being painted. So now it's time to have the car taken to the body shop and I need to pull the engine but I'd still like to use this opportunity to check a few things out while the car is gone. Can I check the compression and do a leakdown test with the engine out of the car? If so how should I do it? And will a good leakdown test and compression check rule out any and all internal problems? Also, could you guys give me some possible clues as to what could be causing the vibration? I ruled out a bad fan but I still need to check all the usual suspects such as flywheel, balancer, etc.

Chryco Psycho

while it is not the best way to do a compression test you can do it out of the car , there is no way to warm up the engine so the numbers could read low but will still indicate a problem , obviously you will need the trans attached so you can hook up a starter

Chryco Psycho

where is the vibration , engine idling, engine running at rpm but car not moving , or at a given speed while driving ???

bull

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 28, 2005, 01:25:15 PM
where is the vibration , engine idling, engine running at rpm but car not moving , or at a given speed while driving ???

It vibrates at about 1000+ RPM so idling at about 700 it's ok. This was with the clutch disengaged (peddle up) and car not moving. I should have tried it with the clutch engaged to see if it was a clutch-related problem.

Quote from: Ranger Max on November 28, 2005, 04:29:27 PM
I had a similar problem.
Anything over idle and the motor would shudder and die.
Replaced fuel pump and gas filter ...no joy.
I the rebuilt the 2 barrel and took it to a buddy to check just to make sure I wasnt doing something wrong.
With the problem persisting I dropped the fuel tank and found my sending unit was 95% clogged and alot of crap in the fuel line itself.
After that she smoked up a storm then cleared up and ran great.
Check your gas lines and sending unit.
(hope that helps)

I blew out the gas lines a while back and I just got a new fuel sender today but the car is going to the paint shop in a week or two so I won't know if that would have been the fix. This doesn't really act like a fuel problem. It seems like a balance problem but I could be wrong.

Chryco Psycho

the clutch would still be turning but it would have eliminated the tranny at least
clutch plates should be balanced some are not so that could be a problem or you could have the wrong flywheel on the engine