News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a Dana???

Started by Charger Aficionado, November 27, 2005, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Hard to believe with ALL the Chargers Trav has had, that he has never had a Dana (This one makes #80 for him)...   I have only had my hands on TWO Dana 60s, and I SNAGGED one for my R/T SE...   I reminded him of this car like 10 mins before it ended...   I told him I thought that housing looked like the back of mine...   Anyone else familiar with them enough to recognise that???   Now if it is...   How many widths are made???

LINK:
EL NUMERO >>80

694spdRT

I saw that auction as well.  It looks like a Dana to me. Due to the poor pics and description of it I thought with my luck it would end up being a truck Dana 60 and I already have about 10 of those laying around. Hope it turns out to be a good one for Travis. 

Here is a pic of the one in my '69.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Big Lebowski

Truck Danas have the spring perches welded on the other side.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

GTX

I know a guy who will sell me a truck Dana 60 with 4:10's for $250.00 but i'm not sure if that's a good price and also not sure what i'll be into for a conversion.

Pretty much everything but the center I guess.

Anyone know?

I guess Troy will be moving this downwards into the the tech area.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: GTX on November 27, 2005, 11:19:52 PM
I know a guy who will sell me a truck Dana 60 with 4:10's for $250.00 but i'm not sure if that's a good price and also not sure what i'll be into for a conversion.
Anyone know?
Dude.  Yeah.  Those damn things go for 1,200 a pop on eBay.  I had a chance to get one locally for 200, but missed it...  Damn it.

Todd Wilson

Truck Dana 60's are a dime a dozen. 1970's Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton trucks had them. You can find them in the heavy vans also. They are a full floating axle setup. About all you could use is the center chunk and then have new axles and tubes put on. I'd say $150-250$ for a Dana 60 truck rear end is the going price.  You cant put a truck Dana into a car! Now Dana 60 front ends are expensive and hard to find!

Todd

69charger2002

well which one does that look like? or can you tell by the crappy pic? i don't want to get up there and not know? anyone know any measurements? or what i should look for to tell?
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Headrope

I wish I could be of better help, but here's the best I can offer - a spotters guide for rear-ends:

Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Charger Aficionado

Yeah it would help to see the rear too... 

Runner

sure looks like a full floater rearend to me.      look at the spindles on the end of the tube ( or at least thats what it looks like to me).      im not positive but cant you cut the truck tubes down and have the correct ends welded on?.      i really dont have any experiance with car danas, just pickups.    another thing is, i dont believe the truck danas have a mounting pad for the pinion snubber either, just the car danas had that.   

you can buy a brand new dan a60 set up with the perchs welded on, new strange ss axles a new suregrip, all new gears all new bearins and ready for your backing plates from strange engineering for under 2k. and it has the snubber provision.   i believe mosier engineering seels them as well and might be cheaper.   not sure what doctor diff or randys ring and pinion sell them for.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

8WHEELER

This was the 69 Dana I sold for $1200.00 3yrs ago, incuding the original shaft that is hard to find,
but you can make one for a price. I wish I still had it but it had a brand new 410 setup and that
was just to steep for my driving these days, so I stuck with my 8-3/4 with 355.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chryco Psycho

usually you do not need new tubes welded into the truck danas , just weld on new housing ends on the existing tubes

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 28, 2005, 03:29:52 AM
usually you do not need new tubes welded into the truck danas , just weld on new housing ends on the existing tubes

:iagree: That's how mine was done. Truck Dana cut down to b-body dimensions and completely rebuilt with new bearings and clutches in the suregrip unit, strange 35 spline axles and green axle bearings. The truck axle tubes are stronger than the passenger car version as well. Mine are 4.10's for the street/strip 68 r/t. A taller tire helps to knock the ratio down a bunch....4.10's with a 29.5in tire is only slightly deeper (3.61) than a 3.55 with a stock dimension tire...it's liveable on the hwy, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CaptMarvel

I was under the impression that most of the 440 cars had a Dana, or at least a sure grip? On my 68 factory R/T, it looks like the 83/4" rearend by the spotters guide. My fender tag is also blank on the rear end area. What gives? did most R/Ts have or not have sure grips in 68?

Blown70

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 27, 2005, 11:51:07 PM
Tr   You cant put a truck Dana into a car!

Todd

I respectfully disagree.  Are they correct no will they work yes if modified to fit...... Also, mine is a trunk DANA,  and has a 4 link set up... ;)

The TRUCK dana does not have a provision for a pinion snubber.

694spdRT

Quote from: CaptMarvel on November 28, 2005, 11:15:59 AM
I was under the impression that most of the 440 cars had a Dana, or at least a sure grip? On my 68 factory R/T, it looks like the 83/4" rearend by the spotters guide. My fender tag is also blank on the rear end area. What gives? did most R/Ts have or not have sure grips in 68?

Only 426 Hemi and 440 4 speed cars came with a Dana 60 as standard equipment. Even a 426 Hemi with an automatic came standard with the 8 3/4" rear. All the other Dana's were optional equipment. The 8 3/4" Sure grip was optional as well.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Chryco Psycho

I feel it is no big deal to lose the pinion snubber , I like the nsubber for mild traction gains but better systems are available also & if you really want a snubber it is not hard to weld in a reverse snubber to the body  & reinforce the floor at the same time

Blown70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 28, 2005, 01:29:16 PM
I feel it is no big deal to lose the pinion snubber , I like the nsubber for mild traction gains but better systems are available also & if you really want a snubber it is not hard to weld in a reverse snubber to the body   & reinforce the floor at the same time
:iagree:

8WHEELER

Quote from: 694spdRT on November 28, 2005, 12:40:52 PM
Quote from: CaptMarvel on November 28, 2005, 11:15:59 AM

Only 426 Hemi and 440 4 speed cars came with a Dana 60 as standard equipment. Even a 426 Hemi with an automatic came standard with the 8 3/4" rear. All the other Dana's were optional equipment. The 8 3/4" Sure grip was optional as well.

Yep, I didn't know this myself until about 14yrs ago. I have known a 68 RT Hemi Charger thats been in my area
and I have known the owners of the car for 25yrs. His is a Hemi auto with 8-3/4 with standard 323 suregrip, just
like in two of my all stock 68 RT Chargers with auto's. Every 68 RT 4sp car I have seen came with a Dana, there is
probably a couple out there that don't have a Dana but that would be rare.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

firefighter3931

Quote from: GTX on November 27, 2005, 11:19:52 PM

Anyone know?

If it's a 4.10 "suregrip" i'd say it's worth grabbing. All you need to do is cut off the ends and have mopar axle flanges welded on. Rebuild the centersection with new bearings/clutches and get some good axles. Strange sells them (axles) in a number of different spline counts and can supply a correct replacement depending on which side gears are in yours. Some early dana's cam with 23 spline...the later ones were 30 spline.

You can even use 83/4 axles in a dana 60 with a few modifications. The dana uses 2 different length axles because the centersection is offset. That means, in simple terms....that one axle is slightly longer than the other. A stock 83/4 b-body axle will fit the shorter side while a stock c-body 83/4 axle will fit the longer side....but it needs to be trimmed a bit.

I had the stock 83/4 axle option when mine was being built but decided to upgrade the sidegears and axles to 35 spline due to the punishment this car will be seeing. It's a piece of mind thing and once it's built properly you'll never have to mess with it again.

For those running superstock springs, the pinion snubber is a non issue. The body rise and spring seperation make it non functional. If you upgrade to caltracs, ladder bar/coilover or 4-link....no need for snubber.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70kracken

RELEASE THE KRACKEN

CaptMarvel

Yep, I didn't know this myself until about 14yrs ago. I have known a 68 RT Hemi Charger thats been in my area
and I have known the owners of the car for 25yrs. His is a Hemi auto with 8-3/4 with standard 323 suregrip, just
like in two of my all stock 68 RT Chargers with auto's. Every 68 RT 4sp car I have seen came with a Dana, there is

So, dumb question, but since I know it is an 83/4" how can I tell if it is a sure grip (without jacking up the car to spin the wheels) did the sure grip-83/4" option always show up on the fender tag? are there other ways to tell just by looking at something? My fender tag is just blank in the rear end section.

cudaken

There is a person in St Louis that cuts down the Truck rear end's and sell them with new gears for around $600 ready to bolt in.

Cuda Ken
I am back

694spdRT

Quote from: CaptMarvel on November 28, 2005, 07:07:50 PM

So, dumb question, but since I know it is an 83/4" how can I tell if it is a sure grip (without jacking up the car to spin the wheels) did the sure grip-83/4" option always show up on the fender tag? are there other ways to tell just by looking at something? My fender tag is just blank in the rear end section.

I am not a '68 tag expert but, for a factory sure grip there should be something noted under the "X" in the AX code. For example my '68 Tag has this

AX

It had 2.71 gears and no sure grip...now it is 3.55 Sure grip though.  :)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: cudaken on November 28, 2005, 08:18:55 PM
There is a person in St Louis that cuts down the Truck rear end's and sell them with new gears for around $600 ready to bolt in.

Cuda Ken

He works cheap Ken   :o .   It costs me $500 labor plus parts to have a truck dana cut down over here.    "New"  Dana gears are $300+.   The new Moser axles are over $300+ a set too plus new ends, bearing kits, perches. etc.     

You should go have him make up a bunch and resell if that's what he's doing. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.