News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ebay seller advice wanted

Started by 41husk, October 13, 2009, 06:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

My first ever Ebay selling experiance is ending in a short 3 hours and it appears I won't meet my reserve.  My 68 that I set the reserve at 20k is only at $16,200.  I have had 3 bids and 5 questions answered, most am I interested in a trade.  I thought at that reserve this turn key nice example would be gone at the end of auction.  My question is, if it does not meet the reserve (and that is the very lowest I would sell it for) Is it worth relisting and should I lower the reserve when I WOULD NOT let it leave my garage for less than the reserve on it now?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69bronzeT5

I'd relist it or maybe consider lowering the price a bit.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mauve66

hard economy for cars right now, you didnt leave a link for anyone to look at the car, alot of serious money people just wait till the last 5 mins to bid
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

41husk

I have some pics on the cars for sale on here, and I am not real good with the posting things from other sites, but the item # is 330366110919 if that helps at all.  I won't lower the price!  I have more in the car than what the reserve is.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

mauve66

Quote from: 41husk on October 13, 2009, 06:40:53 PM
I have some pics on the cars for sale on here, and I am not real good with the posting things from other sites, but the item # is 330366110919 if that helps at all.  I won't lower the price!  I have more in the car than what the reserve is.

nothing personal, but most of us do
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

charger_fan_4ever

If it does not sell and $20k is the bare minimum I'd relist with starting bid of $20k with no reserve and mark no reserve in the heading. You could also add a buy it now price.
Starting bid 20k and a buy it now 25k.

squeakfinder

There's still a couple hours, then the sniper's will come out. It could still go up another 1 or 2 thousand.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

41husk

I know! I know I have three I have done from projects and as we all know, if we truly sat down and added up all the money and didn't even consider our time, we would all probably be in deep depression :brickwall: This is my first time selling on ebay, and have seen cars I did not think were near my car get bidded higher.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Nacho-RT74

just wait untill get what you want, simply like that

you can relist. Maybe the right person will begin the search of his dreamed car next week  :scope:

:icon_smile_big:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

41husk

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on October 13, 2009, 06:49:44 PM
If it does not sell and $20k is the bare minimum I'd relist with starting bid of $20k with no reserve and mark no reserve in the heading. You could also add a buy it now price.
Starting bid 20k and a buy it now 25k.

Yes thats my car, thanks charger_fan_4erever, That sounds like good advice.  What does it cost to relist?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

charger_fan_4ever

I've only bought and sold parts on ebag. Its my last resort for selling or buying. Cost will be about the same to relist as your initial listing.

I wonder what E-bag's cut would be on $25k :S
When you listed did it tell you what the selling fees would be ?

captnsim

20k calls for better pic's in the listing. Poor shot (should be shot's) of the interior, engine bay, and no underside shots. Some pic's are a bit out of focus, fingers in the frame. Good Pic's will sell your car.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

From my observation experience (I've only bought/sold parts on eBay as well), selling a vehicle on eBay is a risky situation. There's only a 10-day window, and sometimes buyers are leery making a big time purchase sight-unseen. It might sell, it might not.
The best selling point in an auction, IMHO, is good, clear photos! 3 out of your only 10 photos are from like 20 feet away, and your finger is partially blocking another. As a potential buyer, I'd want to see MORE close ups of the car. I cannot tell from your photos what the gauges look like, the undercarriage, the suspension, the fuel tank, etc. There are no close-ups of the grille, and no photos of the trunk area or trunk floor.
Does any documentation come with the car? What does the fender tag read?

Please don't take my reply as nit-picking, but these are little things that mean a lot in an auction. Especially if you want it to reach $20K. If it doesn't sell, you can try re-listing it with more/better photos and additional info to improve on your auction.

Another tip: Get the word out! Don't rely just on eBay. MCG offers free ads to subscribers. Try Hemmings, Moparts, here at DC.com, or any other Mopar related website you can get your hands on. It may not be overnight, it takes patience nowadays to sell a classic car sometimes.
Good luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger RT

That was wild looking at the auction. first thing I caught was your charger was built the same day as mine at the same plant. Yours was built first my vin ends in 902.

The others are right better pictures more description more history if you know more the car is 41 years old. I have never sold a car on ebay I bought one once and have sold quite a few parts. Some times just a week can make a big differance on sale price. I once had a carb up for a week at 14.99 with no bidders. I was moving so it was everything must go and relisted it at 9.99 and it sold for 30 some dollars. go figure any of the bidders could have had it a week earlier for 14.99. if it doesn't sell tonight go look at others listings and see how the pictures are done and how they are written and copy the format of the good ones.
Tim

chargerboy69

I have been a member of E-Bay since 1999.  I have sold hundreds of items on E-Bay, including cars.  I have a camper on there now.  Here are the things working against you.  First, you have zero feedback.  People are not sure they can trust someone that is new.  Second, are your pictures.  You are allowed twenty-four pictures, use them.  And to be honest, the pictures you have are not all that good.  Take all new pictures and super-size them through E-Bay. Third, you mention the Buy It Now price is $25,000.00.  That might be high at this time in the car market.  Run the car again without a reserve.  Sometime near the end of the auction have friends or family bid on the car for you (hell yes I do that).  That way you make sure you get what you want.  I do not know why (and E-Bay has the stats to back it up) no reserve auctions usually bring more money.

Here is my auction.  Look at the difference.  I have good quality pictures a potential buyer can super size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360197482319&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

I know I am harsh, but changing your ad completely might help you sell the car.  If you want further advise or need help trying to make a better ad just PM me and I will help you.  But then again, it may sell this time and prove me all wrong.

Good luck with your sale.

Tim
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

41husk

I don't think any one is harsh.  I appreciate any advice.  I will not post a no reserve auction and have people place false bids.  I think that is much what is wrong with our hobby.  I will probably repost and have some one who can use a camera take Pics of every thing.  Thanks all for all the advise.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparsons

Shill bidding is wrong.Not only morally, but probably leagally as well.

Charger440RDN

Quote from: chargerboy69 on October 13, 2009, 07:38:21 PM
 Sometime near the end of the auction have friends or family bid on the car for you (hell yes I do that).  

So shill bidding really happens on Ebay?? NO!!  :lol:

I have sold cars on Ebay before and you should be prepared to not get paid when the auction is won. You have too many people that like to play on the computer and run the bidding up with no intentions of paying. This happened to me several times.  Have you ever watched an auction won on Ebay and then see it relisted  a week later? Some of the same cars have been on ebay for months because winners don't pay up.

Quote from: 41husk on October 13, 2009, 06:51:45 PM
This is my first time selling on ebay, and have seen cars I did not think were near my car get bidded higher.

Believe me most of those cars you saw bidded high were not paid for either  :rotz:

41husk

Thanks I guess I assume the best in people.  I did not want to use Ebay and was advised on here to do so for nothing more than advertisement.  I have a car I love, that no one could build for 20k, so maybe I should relist once and then look at another way to get the Daytona clone :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Charger440RDN

Oh I'm sure there are some good buyers on ebay, just seems like more bad than good. I guess I'm just bitter toward ebay now.  :lol: Hopefully you will have better luck than me.

41husk

Thanks, I hope some thing good comes of the auction.  I have some one coming down to look at my 73.  I don't believe the 73 is close to the car my 68 is :shruggy:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Blown70

Quote from: 41husk on October 13, 2009, 08:08:43 PM
Thanks I guess I assume the best in people.  I did not want to use Ebay and was advised on here to do so for nothing more than advertisement.  I have a car I love, that no one could build for 20k, so maybe I should relist once and then look at another way to get the Daytona clone :2thumbs:

Allan, I know I suggested that you used ebay if nothing else to get the word out/advertisement.... I think you did that.  Personally I would use a few more pictures, Underside esp. and maybe a few inside the trunk....and offer to email more if needed.  The no feedback can hurst some, but again not everything.

I may also say this..... how important is the Clone to you.  What I mean by the retorical question is this..... I got rid of 2-70 Challengers for less than what I paid, why?  I wanted a 69 that was down the road from me......so I was willing to take a slight loss to get what I wanted... I am NOT suggesting you do this, however, I know if I could even get close to selling something to get hotrod98 (larrys) 71 Red Cuda, I would lose some money in a heartbeat, becasue I want that car BADLY...

Just my thoughts, I REALLY hope that works out for both of you.

Tom

charger_fan_4ever

Sometime near the end of the auction have friends or family bid on the car for you (hell yes I do that).  That way you make sure you get what you want.

This is why when there is something i want to bid on, I only bid once and that is in the last 20 seconds. I set a max amount I'm willing to pay and place that bid when there are seconds left. Threw years of buying I realized early on the early you bid and more often you bid the amount just gets bid up(usually by shell bidding)

oldcarnut

[
 Sometime near the end of the auction have friends or family bid on the car for you (hell yes I do that).  

Something I like to do when looking at bidding on something is to check the current bidders.  You can see what kind of percentage that individual bidders bid with a particular person to see if that's whats going on.

For another suggestion, my best results have been when you should time your listing to end the auction on Sunday or Saturday night.  I try to list that way because more people are likely to be at home and can watch or bid when otherwise you lose people that may be at work etc. during the week and can't get access to up their bids.  I know our workplace and some others have ebay and similar site access denied even if you have a computer.  If you start it on the right day depending on how many days you list for, you can cover 2 weekends for more exposure.  Just my experience that works for me.  I listed a 31 Ford Roadster twice and never made reserve and had it half the price of similar.  It did get the car noticed enough for someone to trade a 70 Chally and cash for it which was more than what I was trying to sell it for.   Then there is always Craigslist.  It costs nothing but your time to filter through all the scam artists.