News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small Block Non A/C Belt configuration?

Started by Beer, November 27, 2005, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

Decided to remove the A/c on my stroker motor, Got the bracket issues resolved with the Alternator (had to custom fab A/C brasckets), Mancini had a bolt on bracket kit that worked as advertised for non A/C cars.

Now I am trying to insure that my pully configuration is correct for a non A/C car.

Is there an idler pully for non A/C cars?

From looking at what I got, The Alternator Belt can be one belt to the Crank (but is close and routed under the waterpump), the A/C version of the WP pully has a belt going from the Water pump, then Powers Steering, then Crank.

From looking at what I got for Non- AC
The Water Pump pully for non A/C cars looks like it may be Alt, Waterpump crank, as one belt; leaving a little belt for the Power steering to crank.

Pics or descriptions of Non A/C Small Block belt configurations would be greatly appreaciated.

Cheers
Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Chryco Psycho

there is no idler on non A/C cars
the alt crank & water pump are all one belt , can`t remember which way the power steering routed though

ScottW

I'm not sure if this will work but I'm going to give it a try:

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

ScottW

Well what d'ya know - it works. Next time I'll post them in a smaller version.

I agree with Chryco - non A/C = no idler. I hope the parts manual page helps.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

Chryco Psycho

that is what is needed .. some good illustrations !!

Beer

Thanks !
Going with Figure 2, without the compressor.
Off tomorrow to get the new pully on the alt (switching the double for a single).
Should have pics in a day or two.

Figure 7 is closest to what I started with.

Looks way better without the unsightly compressor.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Chryco Psycho

the double groove alt pulley should work fine without changing it out

NichIowa

a small block belt config is one belt crank, water pump alternator on inside groove and powersteering crank on outside groove.

Beer

Thanks Niche, thats how I am gonna set it up, should have pics tommorrow.
Mancini Racing sent me the right stuff :)

charger_72_318

Hi beer, i see that you decided to take out the a/c, once me and a buddies installed my first set of headers on my vw bug, when i asked about the heating in my car after the installation, one of them said: the mister wants a fast car, plus heating !! followed of   :smilielol: ,well after reading this post i think he was right....   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: you just cant have it all .......
Let's see those pictures

72 Charger hardtop tranny, carb and intake swap
92 Spirit DOHC Gone

Beer

Ok here are the Pics. Having trouble getting the belts, seems the book is not picking what works, anyways will measure out what I need and finish off the belts today.

Changed out the Double alternator pulley for a single pulley, purchased from Mancini Racing. Cost $8 to have the double pulley pressed off and the single pulley pressed in at a local shop.

Here is the Mancini alternater Bracket. No issues at all (perfect fit) Part #MREPN-795$39.95 http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/albrac1970up.html
I did get confused on the instructions. I wanted to put the alternator holding tab behind the bracket, naturally that did not work, I eventually looked at the instructions for the other part number (the written instructions for the 795 had a scemetic of the brackets, but did not show the alternator in at at all) and saw a drawing showing the correct installation and figured out the alternator tab goes in front of the bracket as pictured.

The waterpump pully for the A/C is lined up on the front pulley on the crank and is smaller in Dia than the non A/C waterpump pulley.

The waterpump pully for the non-A/C is lined up on the second crank pulley and is larger than the A/C waterpump pulley.

The crank pulley for the A/C is a three pulley (same size pulleys)
The crank pulley for a non-A/C is two pulley's with the second one being slightly smaller than the front one.

Cheers
Beer