News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding stock 440 need opinions bad.

Started by raull, November 27, 2005, 10:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Hello I am rebuilding a 440 stock engine. Need help in determining what all I can change withought getting too technicle. Planning to rebuild this engine a 1978 440 (4006630 440-1) still attached is the original 727 tranny that came with that engine. Currently in the vehicle is 383 with 1 3/4" Tubes and 3" Collector headers, edelbrock intake dont fit the 440. I am limited on the money I have.

What I have so far is this, 
1. 650 cfm (I think) HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER SPREADBORE CARBURATOR (R84016).
2. 1 3/4" Tubes and 3" Collector (unknown brand bought new from ebay)(already in the car).
3. Holley street dominator intake for 440.

Planning on buying this Federal Mogul CSMHP817-311 BBM 440 Engine Rebuild Kit
1974-78 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymount 7.2L/440 BBM RB Engine, from summit racing (price $589.95 Plus $8.95 S&H). Unless I can get a better deal with a decent kit. Sugestion very welcome.
Whats all included is:
Features:
Assembly Lubricant Included    Yes
Cam Bearings Included    Yes
Freeze Plugs Included    Yes
Gaskets Included    Yes
Main Bearing Undersize (in)    0.010 in.
Main Bearing Undersize (mm)    0.25mm
Main Bearings Included    Yes
Notes    Approximate compression ratio 9.37:1 with a 88cc head.
Oil Pump Drive Shaft Included    No
Oil Pump Included    Yes
Oil Pump Volume    High volume
Piston and Ring Oversize (in)    0.030 in.
Piston and Ring Oversize (mm)    0.75mm
Piston Material    Forged aluminum
Piston Rings Included    Yes
Piston Style    Flat
Pistons Included    Yes
Plastigauge Included    Yes
Quantity    Sold as a kit.
Rod Bearing Undersize (in)    0.010 in.
Rod Bearing Undersize (mm)    0.25mm
Rod Bearings Included    Yes

I am copying pasting from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Federal-Mogul-CSMHP817-311-BBM-440-Engine-Rebuild-Kit_W0QQitemZ7989968942QQcategoryZ33620QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What am I missing to rebuild this engine? I am not going to assemble this engine my dad will, I will be his aid.  :icon_smile:
I think the timing chain 3 piece is not included, nor the Camshaft nor lifters. I would like to get the most Torque/HP of course but limited with cash. The saying goes you get what you pay for.

The transmission 727 still attached to the engine will be cleaned up and sent to a transmission mechanic. I was quoted it will cost me $200 to rebuild it. I am not sure what he will do to it, other than he said it was going to be rebuild.

Please suggest anything to help me rebuild this engine to get the a decent engine that doesnt cost me a bundle.
Transmission any experts out there? What should I insure gets done to the transmission for the rebuild engine?

cudaken

I would go with a Holley 3310 750 my self. Double pumpers are fine for a stick but can cause the car to boge of the line. Tight budget, see if you can find a used edelbrock CH4 off E-bay after I find one. I will tell you when youcan look ;D

Buy a new harden oil pump drive and fue pump drive rod just to be safe.

Make sure the 440 deck height is blued printed, Mopar could get reall sloppy and can make the 440 a dog.

MP windage tray, P4120998 worth 5 HP

You do know the 78 440 is a cast crank engine and you must use a cast crank blancer and converter right? Just trying to save you a head ache.

Did not see anything about the cam, or did I over look it?

Cuda Ken
I am back

raull

I see you quickly responded, Ive also send you a PM.
Yes I know its a cast crank, that sucks but hey got to use what I have. no cam was in there.

cudaken

Cast crank are fine to 450 real HP. Just want to make sure you know about the blances issues.

Timing chain, I like the MP P5249268

On the cam, did not tell what you are looking for? If you want a nices running easy to drive Charger with 3.23 to 2.76 gears you can't go wrong with the stock 383/440 HP cam.

Cuda Ken
I am back

raull

I would like this car to be an everyday user.

Chryco Psycho

hte cam is probably the  most critical decision , it can make or break the combo

get a good quality true roller timing cahin , I am not a fan of the Mopar chains , get a get a cloyes or Jp chain
I use mostly Mopar or Engle hyd cams
a 650 CFM carb will starve the engine , even a 750 is too small for a 440 

Runner

on the converter, you can order the weights and weld them on to correct the balance.   on the tranny.   unless the tranny guy is a good friend and is diong the work for cheap,   he wont be doing much at all for you for 200 bucks.   the parts alone should be about 75 bucks.    alot of these guys pull the tranny down and only replace what has to be replace and then put a seal kit in it ( about 30 bucks worth of parts).   they will reuse bands, steels, and clutches ect.   id highly recomend you ask what your getting for 200 bucks.

the street dominator is a very versital intake and should work nicly. if your on a tight budget the big summit cam would work well also for some added power with out having to change anything else.

i agree on the timing set, cheap ones are ust that.... cheap

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

cudaken

Neil, what wrong with the single bolt MP chain? I have 62,000 miles on one and had 2 degress deflaction when I used it on the 42sick mess?

DFS68 and I used the cloyes on his 383, it blew chunks. Need to be Indiana Jones to read there hydrographic's on the gears. Took us 11 hours to get it right, well more than likely the cam 2 did not help either.

Raull, sent me is compression figuers. Has a 15 pound spread, I would love to have that 383. Main reason he was thinking he need a new engine is it smokes on start up. Told him that 95% sure it was seals and could be replaced with out yanking the heads.

From the PM's he seems to have his head on straight. None of the BS about wanting 500 HP.

If he does want more power, there is still alot to be found in the 383 he has. 66 383 with 516 heads and guessing it was a 2 barrel 383 from the figuers.

Cuda Ken
I am back

raull

Cuda Ken

sorry did not read this post before I sent you the PM. But Ya I am trying to be realistic.  :icon_smile: I am poor. But I do understand the saying you get what you paid for.  ;D

Chryco Psycho

the Mopar chains I have used have stretched very quickly
the valve seals or guides could be the problem either is an easy fix 

firefighter3931

A good basic rebuild with forged pistons and 9.5:1 compression is all you need to make a strong reliable driver. A little headwork in the form of a 3 angle valvejob helps a lot. I'll agree with the 750cfm carb recommendation. Better throttle response than an 850 and easier tunability. Vegas Mike's engine made 530hp with a demon 750.   ;) Matching the cam to the rest of the combo is critical as Chryco said....you need to know stall speed and rear end gearing before making that decision.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs