News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Possibility!!!!

Started by Lizey, October 03, 2009, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

never thought the 360 was a smallblock (ive allways used 350 as the border)
ya learn something new everyday
the 2.76 isnt a posi is it?
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

elacruze

With any taller gears than 3.55 that 360 won't need posi anyway. Spend the money on gas if you stay with gas mileage gears.

Like most people, I'm projecting what I would have wanted at your age onto you now. Choose your own path, it's much healthier for your driver's licence, cash flow and love life to stay with the hiway gears.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Lizey

yeah im just looking for something i can afford to drive, looks/runs beautifully, and can leave a cloud of smoke whenever i feel the urge  :rofl: :rofl:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

moparguy01

Quote from: elacruze on October 04, 2009, 08:52:57 PM
With any taller gears than 3.55 that 360 won't need posi anyway. Spend the money on gas if you stay with gas mileage gears.

Like most people, I'm projecting what I would have wanted at your age onto you now. Choose your own path, it's much healthier for your driver's licence, cash flow and love life to stay with the hiway gears.

You see I must disagree with this last statement. I had highway gears in a 64 polara I had back in high school. and well needless to say the state of North Dakota somewhat frowns upon doubling the speed limit. This act kills cash flow in its entirety for some time, and the state then determines they should cancel said drivers license. All of these are not good for someone in High school.

Just I guess all i can say is wether you go with highway gears or the drag gears, just don't be a dumbass and you won't get in trouble. :lol:

Lizey

haha noted
and im not to much of an idiot driving (with a 2.2 Plymouth Acclaim how can i? the bloody thing wont even do the speed limit let alone excede it) so thats not too much of a concern

id like to know what it would take so i could get this running long enough to get it home though.. i mentioned earlier what my uncle said to do but what would you guys do?
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

Purple440

Quote from: Lizey on October 04, 2009, 08:54:38 PM
yeah im just looking for something i can afford to drive, looks/runs beautifully, and can leave a cloud of smoke whenever i feel the urge  :rofl: :rofl:

That cloud of smoke is going to cost you some $$.  A 360 in that big Charger isn't going to be very quick.  Should still be fun to drive once you tune it up.

Lizey

i hope to mildly rebuild it.. new intake/carb w/ headers... maybe a slightly more agressive cam idk enough to give it some punch
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

moparguy01

how far of a drive does it need to make?

Lizey

Quote from: moparguy01 on October 04, 2009, 09:07:51 PM
how far of a drive does it need to make?

less than ten miles... just to our farm then ill really begin to work on it
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

elacruze

Well if it's been sitting for six years without being started or properly pickled, you're going to have gas problems. Whatever was in the tank isn't gasoline anymore, it may not even be liquid enough to recognize. At worst you'll have to pull the tank and clean it or replace it if rusty. Next, you'll probably have to rebuild the carburetor because all the gaskets and rubber have dried up. That goes for fuel lines and possibly the fuel pump too, if it's a CA car it probably had ethanol in the gas which eats rubber. If you're lucky, whatever is in there will still burn well enough to move the car.
So, Check underhood for Raccoon nests, get the Rat kibble out of the air filter housing, check the coolant and trans fluid, change the oil, put in a new battery and hit the key!

Oh yeah have a fire extinguisher at hand. No kidding.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Lizey

allright so a lot of work just to get that hulk moving eh?
now the big question..
whats all that gonna cost me? haha
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

elacruze

Fortunately time is on your side.
If you're lucky, you may get away with some fuel line and a carb rebuild. Over the long haul, you'll certainly fine-tune it, new tires and brake pads (yes they deteriorate while standing still) shocks, etc. In the near term, you're looking at probably $500 worth of exhaust, carb, brakes etc. Tires...well they may look ok but I'm no fan of ten year old rubber. Pay as you go, and welcome to the wonderful world of Universal Entropy.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

moparguy01

well if its been out on a farm you could have some other potential issues. Rodents love mopar wiring. It's like crack to them. so there is a chance it might need some wiring repairs. Honestly how I would go about it would be to bring a gas can with fresh gas, and about 10 feet worth of new fuel line. hook it straight up to the carb making sure to keep the tubing out of any harms way there, and run it off that. I've brought quite a few cars home that way. Next, and imo the most important thing about a car, make sure the brakes work. Check to see if there are any brake system leaks. getting going is pointless unless you can stop. Not stopping is why cars get wrecked. haha. also, dont be afraid of mice, if you get a field car or one stored on a farm there is a good chance you will wake something up while driving and it will run out and around the car like its on fire. if you do drive it then make sure your followed closely by a tow vehicle with some extra tools.

A better option imo would be to flat tow it back with whatever vehicles you or your folks have. That way you wouldnt have to worry about it, as long as it has brakes. and if it doesnt have brakes then get 3 or 4 used tires for next to nothing, and lash them between the tow vehicle and your car and just keep it tied tight so the vehicles stay connected that way. it'll work for short distances.

when i was in HS i would have put that fuel can in like i said and drove the thing home. but I have since gotten smarter.

Purple440

Quote from: Lizey on October 04, 2009, 09:06:20 PM
i hope to mildly rebuild it.. new intake/carb w/ headers... maybe a slightly more agressive cam idk enough to give it some punch

Or start a 440 bank savings account and put your money there.  When I got my Charger with a 318, I put a new Eddy intake and carb on it and the only thing that changed was the weight of my wallet.  If you change the cam, you will have to change other things, so it's not just a cam change...other things must match.  Don't worry about headers at this point.

I feel your enthusiasm and remember my own at your age.  Tune it up and have fun till you get a decent income.  Then build a big block and drop it in.  :Twocents:

- Doug

FLG

Congrats!!

About the gas thing. When i bought my first car it was sitting for 10 years!! Yes, 10 years.

Put it on the trailer, bought it to my friends yard. Changed the wires (or rather put them on since there was none!), put a battery in it, changed the fuel filter and started cranking.

Yes it did start and run on 10 year old gas.

Since it was sitting so long the valve seals were dry and it smoked like hell. After a week of adding new gas and oil additives it stopped smoking and ran just fine.

Wound up getting rid of the thing anyways for a mopar  :2thumbs:

Charger440RDN

My aunt had a royal blue/white top 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, same body as the charger. That car had some long heavy doors and I remember that it always sat low to the ground in the back.  :lol: Good luck on the purchase.  :2thumbs:

Lizey

Quote from: FLG on October 04, 2009, 11:46:44 PM
Congrats!!

About the gas thing. When i bought my first car it was sitting for 10 years!! Yes, 10 years.

Put it on the trailer, bought it to my friends yard. Changed the wires (or rather put them on since there was none!), put a battery in it, changed the fuel filter and started cranking.

Yes it did start and run on 10 year old gas.

Since it was sitting so long the valve seals were dry and it smoked like hell. After a week of adding new gas and oil additives it stopped smoking and ran just fine.

Wound up getting rid of the thing anyways for a mopar  :2thumbs:

what wires would i be looking at replacing?
just the ones from the sparkplugs to the destributor or all of it??
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

rt green

i.d tow it. get it home safely. get the paperwork and lic plates figured out. then get it running.  i would price out a tow truck or something like that, that way nothing bad will happen.
third string oil changer

b5blue

I think he means spark plug wires. Remember brakes are important...towing it to where you can work on it is a great idea.

Lizey

yeah thinking about it today towing it made way more sense and we have a car dolly so im set
if i hook up jumpers and nothing happens when i turn the key am i screwed?
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

moparguy01

no, it just means there is a electrical issue somewhere. it could be as simple as a bad battery cable. so many places to start with that question....

Lizey

i talked to a close family friend whos a mechanic and he said hed go over everything with me
hes looked over it before and he said as of last winter everything electrical was working (engine wise) so hes coming over when i bring it home and he said we'll have it street legal in a weekend  :2thumbs:

im finally one of you guys haha!  :cheers:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

moparguy01

Quote from: Lizey on October 06, 2009, 04:49:46 PM

im finally one of you guys haha!  :cheers:

i wouldnt go saying that too loud. someone will probably get you committed. :lol:

Lizey

hahaha
whats it cost to get one of these professionally painted?
and i want to save the vinyl top... but i want a black one.. whats that gonna set me back?
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Lizey on October 05, 2009, 05:48:14 PM
if i hook up jumpers and nothing happens when i turn the key am i screwed?

I run into that a lot with my Duster. I'm thinking there is a loose ground or something somewhere. The original problem was the starter and starter relay were both hooped!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic