News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A very strange substance

Started by TylerCharger69, October 02, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Looking for ideas on what this could be...or what may have caused this.
A friend of mine has a 2002 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl dual overhead cam engine.  This substance in the oil pan is hard to describe.  However it has managed to clog up the oil pump, pick up tube, and leave a film of this stuff all over the internals of the engine.  It's almost like Jello.  It doesn't stick to your fingers, and you can sort of "peel" it out of the oil pan and what not so it's not like it has "cooked" itself to anything.  Remember the stuff we used to play with as kids called "Slime?"   Well...it has the exact same properties and density as that does.  There was 4 quarts worth of this stuff in the oil pan like I had said.  My first thought was perhaps him putting a full synthetic oil in after running conventional may have caused this, but I've seen those results before, and things were still a liquid, not to mention it's only been a week.  I also need to mention that spraying brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner on it....well...it doesn't even penetrate it.  I have a small sample of it in a plastic container, and it doesn't even adhere to the sides of it!!  This isn't even a liquid anymore, and when he pulled the plug to drain it, nothing came out, hence why the oil pan was pulled.  I suggested to him to drop the pick up screen and tube, and to clean out the oil pump.  Now for a follow up question.....what can he use to safely flush this engine out?  And....has anyone experienced this???  I really want to know what this is.   Anybody????

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bull

The substance appears to be an account inactive notification from Photo Bucket.

Silver R/T

You sure it was oil not something else they might've put in the engine. Maybe do engine flush after you take rest of that gunk out.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bordin34

Try putting this on the bob is the oil guy forums. What happens if you put a torch to it?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TylerCharger69

If i put a torch to it...it just singes and doesn't ignite....it singes and sorta melts away....like rubber in a way...engine flush wont even budge this stuff....like i said  diesel fuel, brake cleaner, or carb cleaner don't even begin to break it down....just sort of runs off without dissolving it.  Dishwashing detergent  BEGINS to try to break it down....but that's it.  I'm thinking somebody put something in the crankcase.....sabotage maybe???

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TylerCharger69

It's kinda the color of slightly used oil....with like a dark orange hue if you hold it up to the light and look through it...if you stretch it thin enough  it has some transparency

Tilar

Sounds like someone put sodium silicate in it. Liquid glass. People used to use it years ago to seal up a cracked block. It is also what the democrats used to ruin the engines during the cash for clunkers fiasco.
Dave  

bordin34

Where did he get his oil changed last? If it was at a dealer maybe they put some liquid glass junk in an oil bottle for storage and forgot then put it in the car.

Mahwah,NJ

TylerCharger69

He had actually changed it himself a few days prior to this happening.  But  the liquid glass theory makes sense to me.  I'm thinking someone sabotaged him.   I ve never seen this before!!!  Any other theories are welcome!!!

Tilar

People used to put sodium silicate (Liquid Glass) in the cooling system to seal up a cracked block and it worked really good as long as people only used water or water and a light anti freeze mixture for the cooling system, But ethylene glycol which is the older green antifreeze will change liquid glass from a solid back into a soluble form.
Dave  

John_Kunkel

The "Jello" could be caused by a coolant leak into the engine, has the coolant level gone down significantly?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

I did a repair years ago on a motor that had only been run on Quaker State. The valve covers, valley and bottom of the pan were full of jellied paraffin from years of build up. It acted and fit what you describe fairly close and clean up was a pain in the butt. The stuff was so gooey it held the valve covers to the heads after cutting the gaskets all the way around. Have you pulled a valve cover yet? It reminded me of the movie "The Blob"  :eek2:

Tilar

Quaker State.  :eek2:  You couldn't run fast enough to get me to put that crap in my engines.
Dave  

TylerCharger69

Yeah....lmao....I wouldn't use Pennzoil either!!!

BigBlackDodge

Ecotoplasm.

I've seen it happen before. :o

Has he been messing around with an Ouija board?

BBD

Tilar

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 04, 2009, 12:15:51 PM
Yeah....lmao....I wouldn't use Pennzoil either!!!

I've run pennzoil in almost everything I've driven since I bought my first vehicle back in 72. I changed the valve cover gaskets on my soon to be 190,000 mile suburban this summer and it is as clean as it was when it was new. I didn't buy it new but the original owner ran pennzoil so I'm sticking with it.

I'll probably use something a little better in the Charger though.   :drive:
Dave  

Magnumcharger

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 04, 2009, 09:36:55 PM
Ecotoplasm.

I've seen it happen before. :o

Has he been messing around with an Ouija board?

BBD

Funniest lines in Dodgecharger.com history!!! :cheers:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TylerCharger69

No.....no coolant loss....and there is no "chocolate milk" substance with this.....it's very weird.  It's like all of the oil dried up and turned to this.....gooey stuff......I'm not sure how else to explain it.

71ChallengeHer

Jello ? There's always room for Jello  :rofl: :rofl:

TylerCharger69

LMAO...Yeah!!!   that's what it resembles.....except it doesn't quite have the liquid like properties that Jello does....It's a bit stiffer actually   Looks a lot like ballistics gel!!!!   I dunno.........I'm stumped.   No other mechanic  has ever seen this before!!!   At least none that I've talked to anyway.

bordin34

Mahwah,NJ

TylerCharger69

Ya know?....That's a good question...but I'm not gonna try it.    HEY!!!  LET'S GET MIKEY!!! :smilielol:

oldcarnut

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 03, 2009, 04:26:31 PM
He had actually changed it himself a few days prior to this happening.  But  the liquid glass theory makes sense to me.  I'm thinking someone sabotaged him.   I ve never seen this before!!!  Any other theories are welcome!!!
I tried to find some pictures of a tore down engine after it had liquid glass in it for curiosity but wasn't able to.  I have been in autostores before when someone started to buy an oil product and noticed the cap seal was broken.  Some dimwit had put used oil back in the container and returned it for credit.  Guess the clerk didn't pay attention when he took it back.  Maybe someone did something similar only with an additive to purposely screw up another persons car engine.  Hope that wasn't the case but that's why I always check the tops on car products as well as food before buying them.