News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Considering taking on a 68 R/T

Started by OscarTheGrouch, October 01, 2009, 09:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OscarTheGrouch

My father is the original owner of a 68 Charter R/T  440 4bbl Automatic.  The time is coming near for me to take over on the car.  It is in fabulous condition- was fully resto'd about 15yrs ago, and has been garage kept since. 

Before taking the car on I am doing my due dilligence because the last thing I want to do is keep the car sitting in a garage or worse yet, biting off more than I can chew and having to sell the vehicle.  The car currently sits in a garage-  It has been maintained, but nothing is done with it- its just there- which to me is just a waste.  I'm not saying I'm going to drive it every day, but it is in beautiful condition and it needs to be enjoyed- cruise ins, shows, parades etc. 

I do have a garage to keep it in and also a cover, so the storage of the car is taken care of. 

I have a few questions to begin with. 

1.  I need a good insurance company. I've gotten a quote from American Collectors Insurance.  They were referred to me from my normal car insurance company, and I got what I feel was a reasonable quote.  Is this a good company?  Are there others I should get a quote from? Should I avoid this company at all costs?

2. The only major change I am considering, and have ever considered is the stereo system.  It currently has the original 1968 "better" AM radio (2 speakers instead of one).  How much would replacing the stereo system effect the value and showability of the car?  Should it be avoided if I ever plan to show the car?

I really look forward to some input, and advice on this, and any other things I should consider before making a final decision.

Thanks!

Brock Samson

DO IT! hide an aftermarket stereo worth it to spend a grand or so to do it right,.. meaning don't cut anything, and yes american is a fine company,..
here's an earlier thread on the subject of collector car insurance.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30316.msg331525/topicseen.html#msg331525

here's one on aftermarket stereos, though there are many on that subject...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38199.0.html

Oscar you sound like a level headed and logical type... Pleased to see you here! you wouldn't happen to have any pics or the numbers off the fender tag located on the inner fender behind the battery would you?..

Ghoste

And you will be amazed at how quickly you become addicted to all of this.

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on October 01, 2009, 11:39:26 AM
And you will be amazed at how quickly you become addicted to all of this.

Truth. Run away quickly or be forever hooked. This place will put a hold on you that is surreal....  :o

Dan

Oh, and GET THE CAR!!!!

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

OscarTheGrouch

Brock, unfortunately I do not have that information, nor any pics, but believe me, the day I take posession, I'm driving it directly to somewhere I can get some good shots.   Thanks for the links regarding the radio- a conversion would be great actually, though initially, that falls to the bottom of the list.  I'm sure there are a few minor things that need to be done to the car before I worry about a radio- like I said it has been ~15 years since the restoration was done, and since then it's resided in a climate controlled garage very rarely taken out, but knowing my father, the car has been started regularly and the oil has been changed on schedule.

Ghoste, I've been addicted to all of this for years, and a MOPAR fan forever. The first car I bought on my own was a 2001 Sebring LXi, and I currently own an 02 Intrepid ES.  I've wanted to own this car since I was 16yrs old.

68X426

:iagree: What Brock said.

:iagree: with Ghoste.

I'm with American Collectors, best rate for my location and car, had 2 different agents recommend AC and they don't even sell it. Third agent sold it. Reputation is excellent, but I've not had to make a claim.

Did your Dad have it insured? There may be a longevity discount available to you, thru his current company, that may make it competitive with AC. Make a call for their quote too.

Please keep the radio and everything original. If you would rather hear music instead of the sound of the motor :eek2:, then invest in hiding away a unit for the tunes.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Brock Samson

well, seems you found your new home..  :icon_smile_wink:
what options does it have,.. colors?.. Vynal Top?..
details grouch details!  :popcrn:

RE: the stereo:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22806.0.html

tan top

hello & welcome   :wave:   :cheers:

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 01, 2009, 11:55:26 AM
well, seems you found your new home..  :icon_smile_wink:
what options does it have,.. colors?.. Vynal Top?..
details grouch details!  :popcrn:

yep need info dude  :icon_smile_wink:   :popcrn:  .......... :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

OscarTheGrouch

British Racing Green- no stripe  (Old man did not believe in flashy, and deleted it when he ordered it.)  Black Top.  Car is nearly original, and the only thing power on the car is the engine- no A/C, or anything else. The only option was the second speaker for the nice AM radio.  Runs on a 440 4bbl, with an auto transmission. I dont remember the rear end, but I know this is not a significantly modified car- he wanted to restore it as close to possible to original.  I believe he still has the original build sheet as well as most of the paperwork on the car.  Cost about 3500 brand new in 68 if I remember the stories right.  He didn't get the HEMI cause he couldn't afford the insurance.

Also, I am quite dumbfounded by being told it was expensive to insure it, I got a quote for 260 a year, and that strikes me as completely reasonable.

Brock Samson

very cool... thanks,  :scratchchin: so it's nothing special then...  :lol:

collectors car insurance is quite low indeed.  :2thumbs:

OscarTheGrouch

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 01, 2009, 12:23:30 PM
very cool... thanks,  :scratchchin: so it's nothing special then...  :lol:

collectors car insurance is quite low indeed.  :2thumbs:

i'm quite positive the only one the car is extraordinary to is myself, and that is quite alright :lol:.  I look forward to driving it some with my kids and wife, and showing the car off (even if it isn't perfect).  I just do not want it to reside in a garage anymore not on the road where it was meant to be.

Ghoste

Brock may have been a little facetious when he said it's nothing special, he sometimes does that (then again he may really feel that way :shruggy:) but I think you'll soon find that just about everyone on this site will think the car is extraordinary in one way or another. :cheers:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: oh, come on,.. alitte!?... ya' think?..  :slap:

Troy

When you say "better" AM radio with a second speaker do you mean you have two in the dash or one in front and one in back? If you have "stereo" speakers (ie one on each side of the dash) then you likely have am AM 8 track which is pretty rare. I wouldn't be messing with it or the wiring in that case. There are ways to hide a modern stereo without harming anything original. It sounds like a really cool car (much like my 440 auto R/T) and, honestly, the radios don't work in any of my old cars and I have no complaints.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

OscarTheGrouch

Quote from: Ghoste on October 01, 2009, 01:32:39 PM
Brock may have been a little facetious when he said it's nothing special, he sometimes does that (then again he may really feel that way :shruggy:) but I think you'll soon find that just about everyone on this site will think the car is extraordinary in one way or another. :cheers:

it's all good, While a little biased, I think the 66's and the 68's were the best looking of all the Chargers made :) (no disrespect to those of us not cool enough to have one like Brock  I have some great memories of the car, and some not so great ones- like it sitting out in the back yard from 84 until about 92-93 when it was restored.. or when it broke down one night in the middle of nowhere.. but regardless, even before I could drive I wanted this car :)   I'll be around cause I'm sure I'll need some pointers on any work that needs to be done to it, and i'll definitely be posting pics of it in all it's glory :)

After this,I have to work on the old man about his 95 Trans Am...

OscarTheGrouch

Quote from: Troy on October 01, 2009, 01:47:23 PM
When you say "better" AM radio with a second speaker do you mean you have two in the dash or one in front and one in back? If you have "stereo" speakers (ie one on each side of the dash) then you likely have am AM 8 track which is pretty rare. I wouldn't be messing with it or the wiring in that case. There are ways to hide a modern stereo without harming anything original. It sounds like a really cool car (much like my 440 auto R/T) and, honestly, the radios don't work in any of my old cars and I have no complaints.

Troy

One speaker up front, one in the back...

Yeah, a radio is far down the list, it was just one thing I have always considered.  I don't want to harm the "originality" of the car.

I think (and my memory isnt what it used to be) that the only thing not original on the interior are the shoulder harneses (its the OE style, but the car wasnt ordered with them) and a "tick toc tach"  - not 100% on the tach but I remember discussions about it and i think we went with it.

twodko

Hello and welcome Oscar!

Check out Hagerty Insurance, we had it on a resto'd Chevelle and now on our Charger.

$137/year for a 69 Charger 440 R/T NM. Good luck.

Tom

PICTURES PLEASE>
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

62dodge

Try grundy (http://www.grundy.com/) it cost me 140/yr 14,000.00 value, full comp. and coll. no deductable

Silver R/T

I'd be getting car first and asking questions later. You're one lucky fellow, wish my dad would give me a restored Charger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

OscarTheGrouch

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 02, 2009, 06:58:39 PM
I'd be getting car first and asking questions later. You're one lucky fellow, wish my dad would give me a restored Charger

LOL, funny you should mention that.  Of course now that I have told him that I want it etc, comes the caveats, restrictions, and negotiations of him giving it to me.  I think I would be better off just buying one from someone...

Unfortunately with 3 kids a wife and me being the sole bread winner, the only dodge charger I can afford is a 1:64 scale matchbox one for now.

Anyone want to donate one?  I can do work on them, and would be willing to sell/lease/rent 2 of the children for labor

jeryst

I agree with what everyone has said.

As for insurance, I used my regular State Farm insurance. for any classic I ever had. We would just agree on the value, and that was it. Very inexpensive too.

As for the music, if you have an old Charger, you dont want music. You want to enjoy the sound of the car every chance you get.
If you want music, drive your SUV, mini-van, or whatever.
Or, better yet, just get an MP3 player for $25.

OscarTheGrouch

Quote from: jeryst on October 11, 2009, 01:21:57 PM
I agree with what everyone has said.

As for insurance, I used my regular State Farm insurance. for any classic I ever had. We would just agree on the value, and that was it. Very inexpensive too.

As for the music, if you have an old Charger, you dont want music. You want to enjoy the sound of the car every chance you get.
If you want music, drive your SUV, mini-van, or whatever.
Or, better yet, just get an MP3 player for $25.

i dunno.. there is something to be said for cruising down the road listening to some oldies on the radio ;)

jeryst

Quote from: OscarTheGrouch on October 14, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
i dunno.. there is something to be said for cruising down the road listening to some oldies on the radio ;)

Lol - To each his own, I guess. I could drive for hours just listening to the exhaust. Not something you hear any more.

375instroke

Quote from: OscarTheGrouch on October 14, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
You can put anything you want on an MP3 player, right.  I drive my Charger every day, and don't listen to a radio.  Original AM still in the dash.  Maybe I'll add an amp and speakers, but would still use an iPod as the source.  It sounds like you won't drive the car that much, and that the car's already restored.  What are your concerns about taking the car?

Charger440RDN

I like to listen to my NFL films CD the power and the glory. :yesnod: