News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Meet Valerie - Supercharged Riot's car - Update 12/13/2012

Started by Supercharged Riot, September 26, 2009, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autodynamics

Supercharged Riot

autodynamics.

I want my car has long term goals to follow the same footsteps as as your car (and Mr. Angry, and rolling thunder's) one day.

Supercharged Riot

Ok. I guess I'll be using this thread to follow-up on my progress on my car.
I'll be posting up more pictures as I go along.

I am currently rebuilding my 383
I actually decided to keep it (instead of getting a different engine) and see how far this engine will take me.
Since the engine is out of the car, I'm seriously thinking about working on other areas of the car for the time being.

Here's a link to my small mission removing the engine.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89244.0.html

My engine is now in class, so I'm learning as I go.
After a few phone calls to local engine rebuilders, I decided it was not worth paying someone to rebuild it, I'd rather spend the money experiencing the work myself.
Plus I dont know what the heck is in my engine or what it has been through.
You guys can follow me as I go along.
I'm very sure I'll get great tips from some of you experts  :2thumbs:

Here's a couple pics from the last couple weeks.
The engine is being disassembled right now.
I'm going pretty slow because I've never done this before and documenting this project is a hassle.

1974dodgecharger

subscribed due to the blower hahahhaa......

-is this your first time breaking into the engine?
-was the engine stock with that blower?

autodynamics

Supercharged Riot

As I open up the engine more, I'm starting to find out some interesting stuff.  Good & bad.

Bad news:
If you see one of my pictures shows some kind of water (coolant) leak on the side
It must have blown a head gasket or something.  I dont know, I havent examined the gaskets yet.
The last journal towards the rear of my crankshaft had scratches (pics forthcoming)
My teacher told me something got out and stratched the crankshaft
So I'll have to send it off to get repaired.
We dont have the equipment to fix it.

Not so bad news:
I dont think the engine was really built for a blower.
I havent pulled out the cam yet, but I at least know it some kind of Mopar Performance cam (purple cam), so its not exactly stock.
The pistons dont look exactly like low compression pistons (you guys tell me)

Next week I should be able to get the crankshaft out and put the block into a hot tank, clean my parts, measure my engine & everything else.
I'll try to take as much pictures to show you guys, but I also have to make progress in class as well.
Once I do my measurements, its shopping time (for parts)

@1974dodgecharger:  This is the first time I am opening the engine. It's a great experience and I am having a lot of fun!

SG1022

I must have missed it. Are you not keeping the blower?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: SG1022 on March 24, 2012, 03:29:29 PM

good question you gonna rebuild it with blower specs?

Hmmm....interesting it does go to show you the stock engine (somewhat) can handle a blower.

How much boost was it running do you know?

Rolling_Thunder

You'd be surprised on the compression - the pistons don't look at all near 0-deck so if they are down .030-.040" in the hole with a 88cc head - the compression wouldnt be near as high as you'd think.   

Definitely see a head gasket leak OR a leaking exhaust stud / core plug as those go into water as well. 

:D
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rattlehead_74

Hey Supercharged....I was talking to you at one point .about your ride..as mine is set up very similar ..as far as rear suspension rear suspension goes..i was wondering if while your working on your car would you mind snapping some pics of your tubs..and bracing etc for your rearend?...also was that dana narrowed? or do you have big off sets on your wheels? thank you in advance! :cheers:

Supercharged Riot

Oh yeah for sure man. I'll take pics of whatever i can  :cheers:
Dont expect anything spectacular as these other cars on this forum. There's some crazy/shoddy work done in some areas.

I was told my rear end was NOT shortened, but then again i have nothing to compare it to.
Judging from what i can see on my rear wheels, it looks like i just got some wheels wide enough to stuff my mini tubbed rear wheel wells
Ill measure the dimension length of my dana 60. Then hopefully you guys can tell me what i really got.

Supercharged Riot

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on March 24, 2012, 06:28:19 PM

good question you gonna rebuild it with blower specs?

Hmmm....interesting it does go to show you the stock engine (somewhat) can handle a blower.

How much boost was it running do you know?

I honestly didnt know how much boost it was supposted to be pushing. Sorry! I wasnt given much detail about the car in terms of performance other than "it's gotta blower, but its slow."

Oher than the obvious. Thats all i really know about the cars past history unfortunately

Supercharged Riot

To answer your question. No  :'(

At least right now. No

Dont get me wrong. I love having the blower on her.
It was like having a girlfriend with breast enhancement. EVERYONE WAS LOOKIN AT HER
Lots of fun and attention

Im weighing out my options still
I kinda wanted to make it something more streetable for almost everyday-ish driving
id rather see the blower sit on a 440. Which is likely going to be a differebt project later down the road
Sorry if i got any of your hopes up who knows. I might change my mind

My biggest plan or concern right now is about the suspension setup.

That will not be a debate for sure.
I want my charger to have coilover suspensions and also have 4 wheel 4-6 piston caliper setup.

I want to do the coilover conversion and make it a pro touring charger (with a blower maybe hahaha....)
I kinda wanna do something outrageous of that nature

After that, then ill think about putting a blower back on.

1974dodgecharger

ahhhh...dude you now have all our hopes down  :rotz: we all wanted to see a blower even with low boost.

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on March 25, 2012, 12:17:44 AM

To answer your question. No  :'(

At least right now. No

Dont get me wrong. I love having the blower on her.
It was like having a girlfriend with breast enhancement. EVERYONE WAS LOOKIN AT HER
Lots of fun and attention

Im weighing out my options still
I kinda wanted to make it something more streetable for almost everyday-ish driving
id rather see the blower sit on a 440. Which is likely going to be a differebt project later down the road
Sorry if i got any of your hopes up who knows. I might change my mind

My biggest plan or concern right now is about the suspension setup.

That will not be a debate for sure.
I want my charger to have coilover suspensions and also have 4 wheel 4-6 piston caliper setup.

I want to do the coilover conversion and make it a pro touring charger (with a blower maybe hahaha....)
I kinda wanna do something outrageous of that nature

After that, then ill think about putting a blower back on.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 24, 2012, 07:28:03 PM
You'd be surprised on the compression - the pistons don't look at all near 0-deck so if they are down .030-.040" in the hole with a 88cc head - the compression wouldnt be near as high as you'd think.   

:D

Then perhaps the motor was built for a blower?

rattlehead_74

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on March 24, 2012, 10:48:14 PM
Dont expect anything spectacular as these other cars on this forum. There's some crazy/shoddy work done in some areas.

I was told my rear end was NOT shortened, but then again i have nothing to compare it to.
Judging from what i can see on my rear wheels, it looks like i just got some wheels wide enough to stuff my mini tubbed rear wheel wells
Ill measure the dimension length of my dana 60. Then hopefully you guys can tell me what i really got.

Thanks alot man i appreciate it...mine has some questionable work also ...hoping to get some ideas from yours !

Rolling_Thunder

what is it with tubbed cars having shoddy work on them?  I worked on a 1969 Charger that was mini-tubbed and it had the WORST wheel wells ever - made of sheet metal screws, metal flashing, and some wire...      completely hack job.     How hard is it to do something the right way? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

greenpigs

I see the oil pickup has some of the blue silicon they used for the oil pan. :slap:

Why not build the 383 with a correct cam for the supercharger?

You have all the pricey parts & with the exception of pistons, which you may have to replace anyways it shouldn't cost anymore than going to a carburetor.

A deep sump oil pan with the threaded pickup converted to 1/2(HEMI) wouldn't hurt.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Supercharged Riot

Quote from: rattlehead_74 on March 25, 2012, 04:09:50 PM
Quote from: Supercharged Riot on March 24, 2012, 10:48:14 PM

I'm overdue on these pics I said I would upload.
THey are old pics, but that how my car is sitting right now...

Thanks alot man i appreciate it...mine has some questionable work also ...hoping to get some ideas from yours !

Supercharged Riot

Bonus pic.

I bought a new Hurst shifter just before I had to remove the engine.
Here's how it looked when I installed it.
***Dont hassle me about the hacked up sheet metal. the previous owners did it!!!!!!   :flame:

kokxville

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on March 29, 2012, 02:59:22 AM
Bonus pic.

I bought a new Hurst shifter just before I had to remove the engine.
Here's how it looked when I installed it.
***Dont hassle me about the hacked up sheet metal. the previous owners did it!!!!!!   :flame:

Nice  :2thumbs:
You can order a new 4 speed hump @ AMD and weld it into it's place like a real 4 speed car. because you are working on you car anyway,i would weld in a new hump. :yesnod:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

472 R/T SE

Wow, I can't believe someone wasted a perfectly good PEPSI sign.   ;)