News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Meet Valerie - Supercharged Riot's car - Update 12/13/2012

Started by Supercharged Riot, September 26, 2009, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercharged Riot

Alright. Its been a while, but my professor let me back into class and Im at it again.
This semester is all about the upper end.
So with that in mind, I started to work on my cylinder heads.

I continued to disassemble the heads (valve springs, valves, keepers, etc.)

I used a small hole gauge to get the valve guide diameter measurements (top, middle, and bottom)

A set of micrometers will help me find out the actual dimensions after I used the small hole gauge.

Lets measure it.....and record my readings

Ok. No picture, but the heads are in the hot tank. See ya next week.

1974dodgecharger

cool update bro... :2thumbs:

I saw this video abouth 6 to 8 months and noticed it was blue, then looked at the rear tires and then the blower and it looks identical to yours.  Is this yours or the person you bought it from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7coLvQzy5A

JB400

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 24, 2012, 12:54:24 AM

I saw this video abouth 6 to 8 months and noticed it was blue, then looked at the rear tires and then the blower and it looks identical to yours.  Is this yours or the person you bought it from?

Yes, it's the exact same car.  Check out the chrome trim around the blower, the small diameter steering wheel, and the carpeted dash pad cover.  Cool thread by the way.   When are we going to see some shiny new aluminum heads? :icon_smile_wink:

Supercharged Riot

I saw this video abouth 6 to 8 months and noticed it was blue, then looked at the rear tires and then the blower and it looks identical to yours.  Is this yours or the person you bought it from?

Its me lol
It was the first and last time I drove the car when I brought it back to California from New Mexico
I just fixed the shift linkage that was jammed and I got all happy about it I wanted to finally drive it around my neighborhood.

After that, I had a couple years where it just sat around while I was trying to finish college.

Supercharged Riot

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 24, 2012, 01:47:23 AM

I saw this video abouth 6 to 8 months and noticed it was blue, then looked at the rear tires and then the blower and it looks identical to yours.  Is this yours or the person you bought it from?

Yes, it's the exact same car.  Check out the chrome trim around the blower, the small diameter steering wheel, and the carpeted dash pad cover.  Cool thread by the way.   When are we going to see some shiny new aluminum heads? :icon_smile_wink:

I'm going to buy Aluminum Heads, but it will be for a 400 or 440 I will build on a later occasion  :2thumbs:

Supercharged Riot

Alright its been a couple weeks and I've been lazy on updates.
Last week I messed up and listened to another student and threw my heads in the Murietic (I dunno how its spelled) acid tank. Big mistake.
I got yelled at by my professor and even worse, My heads were covered in rust after lunch time   :brickwall:

Well, I decided to clean off some of my valve-train parts the whole time

I had to take my heads home to make up for the stupid mistake of listening to another bone-headed student.
Well that makes 2 because I listened to him
I decided to buy a BUNCH of wire brushes and scrub the hell out of my heads and do most of the cleaning up at home

Supercharged Riot

Well guess what.
This week I was able to catch up for the most part.
I cleaned up my heads pretty good. But Im not done yet.
This last Friday, I was drilling down the top of my valve guides.
(Remember how they were all cracked?)

I drilled them down and it looks much nicer now.

Yes I took my heads home again.
I gotta stay on task!

Ghoste

Wow, nice work and clearly no shortcuts being taken.  :2thumbs:

67440chrg

Supercharged Riot

Update.

This week I finished off some boring stuff and captured some final measurements of my valve guides on my passenger side cylinder heads
I also had the time to drill out my old guides and install bronze inserts.

Ghoste

Cool.  And good to see you are done listening to other students.  You are done with that right? (the bonehead ones anyway)

Supercharged Riot

Quote from: Ghoste on October 20, 2012, 07:35:14 PM
Cool.  And good to see you are done listening to other students.  You are done with that right? (the bonehead ones anyway)

OMG you bet my friend.
Hell. I dont know better. I still get suggestions here & there, but I still double check with the professor
SOmetimes he yells at me like a coach for small reasons. wierd.

But im learning a lot so far  :yesnod:

Ghoste

The best auto instructors in many ways really are coaches.  :icon_smile_wink:

jb666

This is great!!

I have to admit though, some of those video comments were infuriating... People can be so ignorant..  Keep up the great work  :2thumbs:

Supercharged Riot

Not much to update, as I had a bit of a slow down with cleaning the engine this past week.
Apparently every corner of my intake runners is covered in carbon deposits.
Plus there were other students using the drilling machine I needed to use.
Also...the parts store didnt have new seats for my intake valves in stock.

No worries, Ill jus take care of it all in one shot next week and install all of my seats and be ready by then.

ANyone care to see that installed brass inserts look like on the 906 heads?
Well here ya go.
This is the result of last weeks work.

I also didnt know what specs my purple cam was, so I used a pair of "v-blocks" and a magnetic dial indicator to determine the lift of the cam

With my new seats for my exhausts, I have to measure the exact diameter of the seats
I will be drilling a new hole where the as-cast seats are that will be slightly smaller in diameter (0.002" smaller) so that I can have an interference fit.
Dry ice will be needed in order to shrink the seats and fit them into place next week.

This week was all cleaning and some minor porting. And Im still not done.
My die grinder at home is too cheap so I cannot work on anything at home right now until I get a higher quality tool for this job.
The one I bought from Harbor Freight is crap and keeps jamming on me no matter how much oil I put into it.

Supercharged Riot

Random post.

Anyone care to know how much a cast iron water pump weighs? lol

about 14-15lbs

JB400

Keeps getting better and better.  Keep up the good work. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

DrHemi

Enjoying reading this as I'm about to do the same thing to my engine. One question though. You said the car was originally a 6 cylinder with a 3 on the tree. I thought the 6 wasn't available until 1969? Not trying to be an ass or anything just curious.
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Troy

Quote from: DrHemi on October 29, 2012, 11:53:21 PM
Enjoying reading this as I'm about to do the same thing to my engine. One question though. You said the car was originally a 6 cylinder with a 3 on the tree. I thought the 6 wasn't available until 1969? Not trying to be an ass or anything just curious.
You would be incorrect. They didn't make many but they were available in 68.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.