News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ENGINE INSTALLL . over top or underneath ? what the best way ?

Started by rav440, September 24, 2009, 07:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

this is going to be down the road but im looking for opinions now . i saw on here long ago some body installed thier engine already mounted on the K frame and put it in from under the car . i like the idea . but is that the best way ?
i have the K frame out so this is most likely the way im going to install the motor .

how is this done ?

do you lower the car on to the K frame or do you pull the K frame and motor upto the car ?

pics of install would be great .

thanks RANDY  :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Charger-Bodie

if you have the equipment to go from underneath, that's the easiest, cleanest way.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

westcoastdodge

i had the engine,transmission bolted together,also mounted on the k member on a trolley then got some big lads to lift the front of the car and i slid the engine and trans from underneath,did not touch the firewall or inner fenders once  :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

jaak

Im sure that going in from underneath would be the easiest fastest method....that being said I don't have the equipment to do so, I always put 'em in from the top.

Jason

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: jaak on September 24, 2009, 04:48:36 PM
Im sure that going in from underneath would be the easiest fastest method....that being said I don't have the equipment to do so, I always put 'em in from the top.

Jason

Everyone has the equipment to do so...     if not you're talking a small amount of money    (heavy 4 caster cart, two large "C" Clamps, and 4 jack stands)     It can be done in your driveway in a day...        What you have to do is locate the cars "pivot point" and at the point - lifting the nose of the car is a one man job...    have another friend manuver the cart holding the engine, K member, and trans as you lower it back down...
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rav440

my plan is , i have the front up on jack stands about 2 foot at the firewall the rear is on stands about 1 foot . i want to get the front up little higher mount the motor & trans on the K frame that wiil be on dolly wheels just high enough for the oil pan to clear the floor .
roll the evreything under the car into position , hook up the engine hoist to the motor and raise the whole ting upto the frame , once it is close i will unbolt the dolly wheels from the K frame hoist the K frame up and mount it to the frame rails then lower the car down to the floor later after all of the lines are hooked up and torsion bars are put in .

so do you think this is a good idea ?  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

bull

Here's my plan. I currently have the car on four jack stands with the front at 26" off the floor at the bottom of the radiator core support (the lowest point at the front of the car). When the engine, trans and K-frame are ready to install I'll place the engine and trans on a 1,000 lb. furniture mover, slide them under the car, raise them up about 15 inches with a cherry picker, slide the assembled K-frame under the engine/trans (on another furniture mover) and then lower them onto the K-frame to be attached. Once the engine/trans is attached to the K-frame beneath the engine compartment I will then jack the whole assembly into place and install the four K-frame mounting bolts. I think it will work but I'll probably find out for sure in about a month.

Anyway, it's my opinion that going up from the bottom is a better way to do it. That's the way they did it at the factory and I think it's a good way to do it during a restoration so that you don't endanger your nice new paint.

Rolling_Thunder

Use two tires in the trunk to counterweight the car - mount the rear jack stands forward of the front spring hangers and mount large C-clamps just forward of the jack stand location...   - the front of the car is now slightly weighted and can be lifted single handedly...       lift - slide in the cart....    and then just lower her down nice and slow...            In the photo i used some metal poles to support the weight just for the photo - - -   The situation is easy and I have done it about 40 times in the driveway of numerous people's homes -  the key is moving the jack stands so they are at the fulcrum of the car...       - then making sure the C clamps are tight - otherwise the car has the potential of sliding down and the rear panel can get screwed up...          :2thumbs:

bull

Supercharged Riot

Rolling Thunder. dude!  I just got done looking at your build.  Ur way ahead of me on a 6.1 swap man  :2thumbs:

wish I bought your 440 4 speed if I had known ahead of time.

great progress.  I hope you post more pictures because I might want to install a 6.1 Hemi some day.

great job man

Rolling_Thunder

thanks a lot - If you ever need a hand or have any questions feel free to ask    :2thumbs: