News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TTI Header Install Procedure

Started by 36 Dodge Brothers, September 23, 2009, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 Dodge Brothers

Just purchased a set of TTI ceramic coated headers for my 68 R/T and I keep reading that you need to run your stock manifolds or set of old headers during your engine break-in, after breaking in the motor you can install the ceramic coated headers. So, my question to you guys that have installed them is,did you fallow the instructions or did you just install them before breaking in your engine? If you did install them before breaking in your engine did you have any problems with the coating? Just don't want to damage them but it seems like a headache to fallow the instructions to the letter.

Regards,
Marco
Pacifica, CA
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

PocketThunder

Why would heating them up after or before a break in have any difference?  They will get hot either way wont they?

Oh and please post pics of your '36 Dodge..   :yesnod:  My Dad has a '37 2 door sedan and Grandpa has a '37 Truck.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

I've heard the same thing - the heat during break in is much higher than normal operating temperatures so many people recommend cast iron manifolds for break in. Regular headers will "blue" but I have no idea what the ceramic coated ones will do. What does TTi say about it? I plan to run all of my engines on a test stand before they ever get installed in a car so that's one way around it.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68chargerboy

if u do ur break in on the tti headers ceramic coated u will void the warranty.

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: Troy on September 23, 2009, 03:43:23 PM
I've heard the same thing - the heat during break in is much higher than normal operating temperatures so many people recommend cast iron manifolds for break in. Regular headers will "blue" but I have no idea what the ceramic coated ones will do. What does TTi say about it? I plan to run all of my engines on a test stand before they ever get installed in a car so that's one way around it.

Troy

From TTI

Warning:  First Engine Runs

TTI strongly suggests that you use an old set of headers or set of cast iron manifolds for your first engine run / cam break-in.  This will insure that you will not damage the coating and void the warranty of your new headers.  Header coating damage usually occurs during the first engine run / break-in when the exhaust temperatures exceed 1200ºF.  Excess exhaust temperatures are normally caused by excessively rich or lean air / fuel mixtures and / or incorrect ignition timing.
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 23, 2009, 03:26:29 PM
Why would heating them up after or before a break in have any difference?  They will get hot either way wont they?

Oh and please post pics of your '36 Dodge..   :yesnod:  My Dad has a '37 2 door sedan and Grandpa has a '37 Truck.

I only have a few pics that I scanned. The car is completely disassembled now hopefully I can have it all together in the next two years.

Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Bossman963

1 little trick that helps on the break in procedure as I had to due since I could only use the TTI headers with the edelbrock prefornmer heads as nothing else fits but TTI, so go get black hi temp paint ( like BBQ)paint coat the inside of the headers- coat several times.
I did this with there chrome headers and just the top of headers  turned just a little bit, not really bad @ all.
me 2 cts :)
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS