News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt on Blue Ray for $9.99

Started by 68charger383, September 23, 2009, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

I wonder how much improved the Bullitt Blu-Ray is compared to the DVD.   

I got a new Vanishing Point (1971 version) copy on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago.  The picture quality was not very much better than image in the DVD version.  It looks like they tried to make a decent product on the new disc but the original 35mm source material is just shite.  At least the Blu-Ray did have a few additional extras over the DVD cut though.

Chatt69chgr

I looked on the Bullitt blue ray box and it said that some of the video was the higher res and some was not.  So you can figure that any added "extra" stuff is the higher res.  The original film is the same.  Based on this, I don't see the reason to buy the blue ray version if you already have the other.  I did notice the blue ray version at Target for $9.99.  I think I paid something like $16 for the DVD when it came out a few months ago.  I'm sure the SOB's planned it this way.  You buy something and 6 months later they have an "improved" version which, of course, they had all along.  But I'm glad they put Bullitt out on DVD since I had about worn out my VHS tape of it.  I bet I've watched that chase scene a 100 times.

Brock Samson

I watched again (the chase) last week and noticed for the first time they go right by my friends' house on Francisco St. , but in 1968 the tree in front of her house is only knee high while today it's about 20 feet tall..  :lol:
funny but I allways see something new no matter how many times i watch it... I told her about it and to my suprise she knew all about having been home the day of filming.

Mike DC

The Bullitt DVD has been out for at least a couple years already. 

runningman

I picked up the blu-ray version last year.  It looked pretty good to me compared to the regular dvd version but I am kind of a blu-ray snob.

dodgecharger-fan

If they haven't done much to improve the picture quality, then I'll just stick with the DVD version. A DVD played in a Blu-Ray player is pretty darned good looking.

My wife was on my case about the Blu-Ray player - because I am a certified gadget junky and she though this was just another gadget - until she saw the Cars DVD. She instantly commented on how much better the picture is. Funny thing though, pop in a Blu-Ray disc and she can't see much of an improvement.  :P

runningman

I have to add that I am watching this on a 100" front projector in 720p so I can notice even small improvements in picture quality.  I have not watched these on my 1080 56" so I am not sure if you would notice the improvements on a smaller screen.

Mike DC

Yeah, that's the difference.  The larger your TV screen, the better your image quality has to be in order to just not look worse.  

That's why huge movie theater screens can run 35mm or even 70mm film and still not look especially crisp.