News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a crack in my K-frame today

Started by bull, September 19, 2009, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just a heads up for you guys to keep an eye on your frames for damage. I pulled mine off yesterday and cleaned it off today and found a good-sized crack in the drivers side front. I had plans to trade it in on a rebuilt frame from Firm Feel anyway so I won't have to deal with it but thought it was worth mentioning here.

CB

Bull, you pulled the K-frame with the strut rods still on?
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Hemidoug

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

bull

Quote from: CB on September 19, 2009, 06:14:59 PM
Bull, you pulled the K-frame with the strut rods still on?

Yes. I put the car up on jack stands, released the tension on the LCAs, pulled the brakes/rotors off and detached the UCAs from the spindles, pulled the torsion bars, hooked the K-frame up to the cherry picker, removed the four big mounting bolts and lowered it to the floor. Why? Did I do something wrong?

maxwellwedge

375instroke

Cracks can happen anywhere.  I parted out a Dart, and found an upper control arm mount was cracked at the weld.

Jon Smith

It was that jump you did in your avatar :icon_smile_big:

jeryst

Wheelies can do that too, y'know - lol.

bull

Quote from: jeryst on January 14, 2010, 11:16:43 PM
Wheelies can do that too, y'know - lol.

Not the wheelie itself, only the landing. Seriously though, this car underwent plenty of abuse before I got it. But I abused my old 70 enough to make up for it.

Mike DC

I keep telling ya Bull, you shouldn't do this stuff to your cars.  Chrysler's a bitch about paying out warranty claims already.

Chatt69chgr

The pictures on the firm feel web site show how they reinforce and reweld a 68-69 K-frame:

http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_b.htm

This info might be of value to you.