News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is an IBM card ?

Started by rav440, September 15, 2009, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

i was watching one othe the AUCTIONs on cable the other night and the was a blue 71 SUPER BEE up for auction i think it ended up selling a $37K . anyway they stated it had the original IBM card with it witch is very rare .

what is an IBM card is it the same as a CERTICARD ? how long did they do this IBM card . i know the CERTICARD was gone by 1973 . i have the metal WARRANTY card for my runner from the original owner . would the IBM card still exist in 1973 ? anyone have a pic of an IBM card ?

thanks RANDY  :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

68X426

I understood the IBM card to have gone away in August 68, with the first builds of the 69 models. That's why the 68 fender tag system is completely different from the 69 fender tag system. Or maybe not, since the 71 you saw would blow that idea up.  :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

dodgecharger-fan

It's a computer punch card used by Chrysler to track order information.

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/IBM029/

Brock Samson

it was a series of small holes punched in a fender when put through an optical scanner it read the history of the individual vehicle and was used by Chrysler Corporate...

Ghoste

I don't know what year it would have disappeared, but in essence, it was the computer punch card that was used to generate broadcast sheets at least until 67 (and of course beginning with whatever year Chrysler began to become computerized).  The only reason I can verify this much is because prior to the 68 model year, if you have the VIN Chrysler Historical will usually have the punch card information still on file and from that you can determine everything that was printed onto the broadcast sheet.
I have never heard of them for anything past 67 but that doesn't mean they didn't still use them.  IBM punch cards were still around well into the 70's.

Alaskan_TA

Some were inserted into card readers that generated the broadcast sheets to be printed.

Others were for inspection information.

Another type went with the car to the dealership, when the car sold it was returned to Chryler with the ownership info to validate the warranty.

I have one here somewhere from 1973, so they were used until then at least.

maxwellwedge

I found this under the carpet in a 70 'Cuda.
Not like the earlier ones but it still had punch holes in it.

mauve66

the ones from Chrysler Historical are now on microfiche and you can't really read them
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment