News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing stripes...with lots of pictures

Started by AKcharger, September 13, 2009, 07:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Yup, this ain't a Charger but process is the same. I watched a pal install my '70 stripe, I did all my '72 stripes and I can tell you, it's easy, no need to spend $$ at a specialty shop. Here's what ya do:
Clean area with degreaser or alcohol, if new paint wait a few days for the paint to "off gas"

AKcharger

Make sure you know where and how the tape/stripe is to be installed! once the backing is off you do not want to be messing with it!

AKcharger

Next mix up some soapy water and wet down the area real good! I used "applicating gel" on my '72 and soapy water on the lil' truck here...I like the gel better

AKcharger

OK, here's where you have some time to do small mid-course corrections. Go slow, don't rush it and make sure it's EXACTLY where you want it, 'cause when you squeege it it's done!

AKcharger

Once satisfied with placement squeegie soapy water/gel out. Start from the center and work out. Make one light pass to get big bubbles out then comeback and use more pressure to get all the smaller bubbles out

AKcharger

After it's all squeegied out (is that a word?) let it sit and dry. I've seen some people suggest over night, a few hours...on this one I wated an hour and was good.

AKcharger

CAREFULLY remove backing. if it pulls up the stripe, wait a bit.

AKcharger

Ohhhh behold stripes. not counting waiting time took me about 45 mins to do front/rear and hood stripes

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 13, 2009, 08:25:55 PM
great tutorial.

Ditto. Also liked your thread on wetsanding. Thanks for taking the time to post these threads.

Jason

AKcharger

No Sweat Sir, I remember whn I first got to the board I was cluelss, I was always grateful for the "how-to posts people made and just wanted to return the favor  :icon_smile_big: