News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Colerain twp tried to take my charger

Started by riggs626, September 11, 2009, 04:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

I live in cincinnati ohio And in their I live in Colerain township well they tried to tow my charger away because to them it is a junk vehicle (never mind the fact that its being restored and sits under a car cover when not being worked on) They told me to put it in my garage but I handed them the tape measure and told them to measure first the car then the garage, They then saw the dilema the car is two feet too long. And since they refuse to let me build a garage in my back yard I have nowhere else to put it. I wish I could afford a small garage thats for rent but Everyone wants 700.00 and over for a garage rental. Sorry had to vent

aone415

WTH???? Is the car on the street or something? Or did they walk up in your driveway?

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

ChgrSteve67

Sounds like you were lucky to be there.

The city my uncle lives in has tried to get him to get rid of the cars and boats in his back yard several times because they are visable from the street. The closest car to the street is more than 50 yards away.

tan top

:fireangry:   thats out of order , never new stuff like that went on  :RantExplode:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Troy

Is the car on your property or in the street? You're very close to me by the way (I live just off Colerain Ave). I wasn't aware of any laws that would allow them to remove a vehicle from your property - at least not without some sort of warning. Some neighborhoods/townships have have their own rules though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

In some communities,  "junk vehicle" means unregistered whether or not you are working on it, what it's worth, etc. etc. blah blah blah.   In general,  stuff is safer in the back yard out of sight rather than in the front driveway.
These rules are put forth (usually) by some old fart local politicians worried about beautifying the community and such.
I had the cops called on me a couple times by my neighbors... of course the cops didn't mention names but the date coincided with the day they returned from Florida   ::)   They called it operating a junkyard as I was parting out some Shelby Z Daytonas.  Yeah I had to send them off to the crusher within 30 days.   
Your local laws vary.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

tricky lugnuts

There's all kinds of BS rules and regulations that can be out there... If it wasn't on the street, so much for private property rights. If you're trying to figure out the laws or codified ordinances or administrative policies, think state, county, township, city, neighborhood...

When I was younger, living with my folks (in Sylvania/Toledo, Ohio), we had the Charger parked in the driveway, right up in front of the garage, under a car cover one winter. It was a running, driving vehicle, but apparently at least one of the uppity neighbors didn't like it and thought it was an eye sore and the "neighborhood trustees" apparently had the ability to do something -can't remember what exactly - but we had to make room and move it into the garage if it wasn't going to be driven. And it wasn't some stupid private homeowner's association we belonged to or anything like that as far as I know...

Hell, my aunt had to go to court against others in her neighborhood to put up a fence in her backyard for her dog, also in Ohio. This state is quickly becoming quite the &$@*hole, costing more than it's worth!!!  :flame: Got to love that they want it out of sight and the same dumbasses won't let you build a garage in your backyard. Land of the free!!!

Blown70

Wow,  Well I have 10 cars two semi trailers and a pay loader in the lot next to me, guess we are not to uppity.... No bother to be, I live in the country :2thumbs:

elacruze

My old town, Van Buren Twp. Michigan-

Definitions;
"Junk automobiles  means any motor vehicle which is not licensed for use on the highways of the state for a period in excess of 60 days and shall also include, whether licensed or not, any motor vehicle which is inoperative for any reason for a period in excess of 60 days. "
(Ord. No. 12-28-71, § 2(A)--(C), eff. 2-4-72; Ord. No. 2-18-92(4), §§ 48.050, 48.051, eff. 3-12-92)

Down in the boilerplate, it makes room for race cars etc, but specifies that you have to keep them out of sight if you have a garage. That means your $1000 Saturday night short track special is in the house while your new Kompressor (or Charger) is out in the weather. It also means, to the letter, that I can't leave my battery disconnected or absent for more than 2 months or it's legally "Junk".

Nevermind another that says if I'm sanding somebody else's car, that I may be asked for a mathematical impossibility (proving a negative) that I'm not sanding it for profit, which has its own separate ordinance. These are pretty representative of many communities, and VBT is only just becoming suburban. Plenty of farms and open space still nearby, only a couple Homeowner Association communities.

The worst part of this specific Twp. and ordinance is that it was enacted in 1971, and has gone unenforced since then until recently. Everybody went Ape Doody when they started enforcement, most people not even having lived there when it was enacted.
Do yourself a favor, wherever you live, and read all your ordinances.

I'm really glad I left, now I live in Unincorporated Martin County, FL where I can have a rusty pickup and a boat on a trailer without anyone saying I can't.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

mauve66

they call it beautification and all but its really another way to make money by sending it to the scrapper
sometimes energy companies that work in a particular region will send people out looking for such vehicles that are violating the ordinance to turn in, that way the energy company gets an "energy credit" towards their own polluting factories, even if the car isn't "polluting" since its not running
as stated before, so much for individual property rights or private property
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger440RDN

The twin city I used to live in Champaign-Urbana, IL just passed an ordinance not too long ago, that says no vehicles can be parked in the grass anywhere. So people that had old cars parked in their yard for years ended up having them towed without warning.  :rotz:

Mike DC

This particular case in the thread may be bullshit, but the principle of junker laws is understandable.  

Like it or not, project cars DO tend to hurt property values.  For every person who appreciates the difference between a crap pile and a project there are hundreds of others who don't.  

Most neighborhoods seem to collectively decide whether this is allowed or not.  Sort of like at a concert when the audience collectively decides whether to sit or stand the whole show.  If you're the odd man out then you have to expect trouble.  

riggs626

The car is on my property in my driveway always covered up ( here is a picture of it pushed forward to clean the drive and it uncovered)

riggs626

What really bothers me is the asshole came on my property and lifted the car cover up. just makes me want to file tresspassing and criminal damaging charges on him, may not stick but will give him just a big headache.  I forgot to add that I would have it tagged and titled except when missouri wrote the vin down in the inspection they wrote a C down instead of G and an 8 instead of a B so now the title is all screwed and missouri says I have to go take the car to them  :brickwall: So im just filling a mechanics lien and getting an abandon vehicle title

TylerCharger69

Well....if it was covered....they had no business doing what they did.  It's not like it's an eyesore or anything.   I imagine an asshole neighbor decided to complain about it.  If it was on the street....well different story.   I'm willing to wager he was going to haul it off by using the fact that he's a city official....and grab it for himself or one of his friends......sorry to hear about that

TylerCharger69

Besides.....they are supposed to give you a certain time frame to either garage the vehicle.....cover it, or whatever the city says, or get it tagged, or haul it to a storage facility somewhere....They aren't supposed to just come and take your car with out a grace period stating: "You have...so many days....to take care of the problem"   Here....it's 10 days.     After that....then they write you a citation to go to court and pay fines.    After that....then they haul it off....at your expenses!!!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: riggs626 on September 11, 2009, 09:16:53 PM
The car is on my property in my driveway always covered up ( here is a picture of it pushed forward to clean the drive and it uncovered)

Well there's your problem... :scope:

You'll have to take things into your own hands on this one.

I'd start by slashing all four tires on the Prius parked across the street.  :hack:

mauve66

and start a sign up for all the non-conforming mailboxes on the street that are bringing down the property values, i mean damn, 3 different colors of mailboxes on the same block, oh the horrors
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mike DC

Go over there some afternoon, open up his front door, and walk away.  You were just taking a peek. 

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 12, 2009, 12:30:27 AM
Go over there some afternoon, open up his front door, and walk away.  You were just taking a peek. 

That made me  :smilielol: :rofl:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

I'd move from a town like that if I could.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

beware the sleeper

yeah, code enforcement circled like four times when i brought my coronet home, but i had it liscence plate to the house, kept eyeballing it like every morning, so I ended up having to take out a post and 2 panels, and driving it into my back yard, funny thing is that both my immediate neighbors knew about the car, and it was all cool, the house on the corner is empty, and then the......shall we say difficult, people two houses down asked me about it, next day, code enforcement starts eyeing the house.  They have to find a violation to warrant coming on the property and then they can write up the car......snakey ass bastards, but legally they cant remove a car cover without a warrant, thats an illegal search of the premises. 

LeadfootBob

This whole thread reminds me of an old saying:
"It's only a democracy when you're in the majority".
Thank god they don't pull stupid shit like this over here!
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

aone415

Crap like this happens when you have assholes for neighbors.  I've had the town @ my house because of my "barking dog"... ummm yea my dog only barks at the garbage men when she's INDOORS... neighbors file bogus complaints to get the 'authorities' to your place at that point a fine is being written up.  Like the one I received for having dog crap on my lawn for a f**ker that didn't curb his dog.

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

ipstrategies

I am lucky that I am in a township and have had my parts charger sitting next to my garage for 2-3 years. I am sure some neighbors do not like it but I am in the rules of this allotment. 

Our country is supposed to be a republic not the  democracy they teach and talk about. They want us to think it is a democracy because that gives the majority rules mentality. This way as long as they can get more people to agree then not they make it law, even if the law is unjust.

Your neighbors should feel lucky to have such a nice car in their neighborhood, I am sure it is cooler then anything else sitting out on any given day.

I told my wife If the neighbors started anything about my parts car (which I will be glad when it is gone as this means my 71 is done) that I would make it a permanent lawn ornament/animal shelter for the unfortunate critters that have lost their homes due to new construction.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS