News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the dumbest or silliest thing anyone ever said about your Charger?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, September 10, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

404NOTFOUND

A woman once asked me,"What year is that, is that brand new"? I told her it was a 2011, they just started making them again.

My car has original 1969 plates on it. Two of the digits on the plate are "83". Twice now I have been asked if my Charger was a "1983 model".
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Stretch

This one was my brothers jeep TJ. and it funny. His jeep is a '97. It was about 8 years old when this happened. It had been hit in the read quarter by a front end loader on a job sight. We pushed it out with a porta power and he had painted it army green. He had made flat fenders for it like a willys has. This was also befor he had gon through it. At the gas pump the guy next to us says "Wow! That old jeep is in really nice shape! What year is it?" My brother says "a '97." The guys says "WOW! That jeep is really F$#KED up!" We all laughed!
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Wicked72

Ive decided to tell people that my car is a 1955 chevy belair from now on. they are the same thing right?  :smilielol:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

jb666

Heard my all time dumbest comment today... A guy at work, trying to make small talk, says "Is the Camaro away for the winter?".

You freakin' tool.  Yeah.. Yeah.. It is...

Kern Dog

Personally, I enjoy making these very comments to classic car owners, just to see a reaction. The guys with what I consider "good senses of humor" stop , stare  and laugh. The pompous, stuffy types get pissed. Either way, I bust a gut laughing.

jwramc

As my member name suggests, I'm an AMC fan first, but my next love is the Mopars...with Larry's Charger being my #1 Mopar. Sadly, I haven't the means to build nor acquire one.

Still, I know the feeling that inspired this thread very well. As you can imagine, for every nitwit that knows diddly about a Charger, ten know less about a Javelin.

My first AMC was a slightly-modded '73 Javelin I bought around 1982...
http://javelinamx.com/javhome/jwr/73javbr1.jpg

During the first week of driving it to work, I was arriving for second shift as another guy was heading home for the night. He spotted me exiting my car, waved me over and asked "Who installed the 'vette flares on your 'cuda?". I smiled wide and promptly corrected him.

Over the next few years it was called a Mustang or a Camaro, but most often, it got mistaken for a Barracuda. And in 1987, with the stroke of a pen, it indeed became a "Mopar-by-marriage".

But the dumb things I heard more than anything else over the years have been the moronically-simplistic assumptions of people who think if the displacement is the same as (or nearly the same as) another engine, it must be that engine. "304? That's the Ford 302. AMC bought their motors from everyone else" and "360. Nice, Mopar, dude!" (yea, with the hi-po FRONT distributor option!). My 390s were Fords, my 401 just a Mopar 400. It didn't matter to them that the only passenger car from AMC that could ever be had with a non-AMC engine was the Audi-then-Pontiac-powered 4-cylinder Gremlins of 1977 and 1978. Yes, transmissions, carbs, distributors were often out-sourced, but NEVER a V8 engine. Some days the stupidity was funny. Others, I wanted to choke the life out of them so they wouldn't breed.  :flame:
John

madmike

I had a new custom dual exhaust installed yesterday underneath my '68 Charger.  One of the kids (in his 20's) working on it said that he's maybe only done 3 of these exhausts on these old Challengers!

Since my car is still not quite street legal, it hasn't had much exposure yet.  I'm looking forward to more goofy comments!

jb666

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on January 25, 2012, 12:49:49 AM
Personally, I enjoy making these very comments to classic car owners, just to see a reaction. The guys with what I consider "good senses of humor" stop , stare  and laugh. The pompous, stuffy types get pissed. Either way, I bust a gut laughing.

No one here gets pissed at the stupidity displayed on a daily basis. It's comical. But, to those that can't tell the difference (and aren't joking) between a Camaro and a Charger deserve to be dope slapped..

Me and my buddies make cracks like you're talking about all the time.. The thing is, the people we say things like "Nice Camero" to KNOW we are kidding... My buddy picked up a mint '72 Grand Prix last spring.. We called it a Grand Pricks all summer.. Everyone that would hear us would constantly correct us with "It's Grand Preeeeeeee"  :brickwall:

Stretch

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on January 25, 2012, 12:49:49 AM

My buddy and I do that too. He has a '73 cuda, I have my '73 charger. He always asks me "What year torino is that?" And I respond with "Same year as your camaro!"

When chrysler was owned by Daimler Benz, it gave me great pleasure to tell the guys with their Mercedes. "Nice Dodge!" when we were at car shows. All of them! ALL OF THEM! Would roll their eyes and turn their back to me. If they ever commented it was 'It's a Mercedes!" as they turned. (said in a very belittling manor) I always said it with a smile. Get a sence of humor. You are at a car show, one would think you are "a car guy" Life is way to short to roll through it thinking your better than anyone else.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

jwramc

Quote from: Stretch on January 26, 2012, 11:26:59 AM
Life is way to short to roll through it thinking your better than anyone else.

...unless the other guy really does own a Camaro.  :rofl:

I worked for state auto inspection around 2000 and owned an AMC Eagle 4WD sedan. As I finished up a mercedes and was applying the sticker, I said 'Sharp Mercedes. I've got an older one myself.' and motioned toward the employee parking area. He looked around, saw no Mercedes and said "I'm not seeing one." I said "The Eagle, right there." He said "I don't understand" and I said "That's okay. Have a good day" and headed for the next car to inspect. If you have to explain the joke, it's just no fun anymore.  :rotz:
John

Cooter

Quote from: jwramc on January 26, 2012, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: Stretch on January 26, 2012, 11:26:59 AM
Life is way to short to roll through it thinking your better than anyone else.

If you have to explain the joke, it's just no fun anymore.  :rotz:

This is how I personally handle the mentally challenged "Experts" that call my cars different makes at car shows.
I simply look at 'em funny, then ask "I don't see that car. Where is ti again?"
They usually walk away and I don't have to piss them off by reacting "Better" than them...Even if I am.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cowboy4x4n

Since mine is a gl clone its.  Hey nice General Lee man do you jump it like in the show.  Or are the doors welded like in the show.  Why can't I just Lock the doors and pull the knobs off jackass

Brock Lee

I had one of them, It was a 69 RT SE LE with the Hemi shifter.

I bet that car is worth atleast $5K.

Remember they did those in that General Lee package?

Or I was standing beside a real General Lee and some hick-jack is grinning, mouth looking like a vandalized graveyard "That is close, but not quite. Real ones had the doors welded shut and the door handles shaved."

Cooter

I got another one in "Christine" tonight....

Pull in to get gas. Got my gas, was in line to pay. A woman was in front of me asking EVERBODY BUT THE OWNER who she plainly SAW filling the car with fuel what it was. Two (How do I put this without pissing these types off) "kids, with tattoo's and hats on backwards with pants around their ankles", decided to answer her with a resounding "Yeah, it's a 1960's Chevy classic"....
Uh, I'm standing right behind her listening idiot...I reply "It's a Plymouth"...kids reply: "Well, you know, I just figured, you know, that is was ...um, You know, a Chevy you know"...

I said, "That's ok, it's been a Cadillac, a Ford Fairlane, and a 1957 Chevy too. It's really hard to tell from those video games, the different types of cars"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Hey man... nice car.... Whats it worth?  I really do NOT know.  The values seem to be all over the map lately. It doesn't matter though.
I have no intention of selling it. It could be worth $10 or $100,000. Its mine and I'm keeping it.

Tjader

Last year this guy comes up to me while I'm talking to a friend, with my 69 Charger on idle next to us. I sense that he really don't  have a clue what model or make it is, so I kindly tell him it's a Dodge. He replies: "I knew that! A GTO. right?".... I replied "Yeah, welll, gotta go now. Good bye."  ::)

This could have been fun if the guy was ironic, but trust me he wasn't.

myk

It'd be worth changing the color of the car just so I don't have to listen to all of the General Lee s**t anymore.  "When am I going to paint the door, flags, numbers, etc, etc, etc?"   HOW ABOUT GODDAMN NEVER....
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

GOTWING

Our Superbird has been called 9 times out of 10 a SUPERBEE. You can correct the people you work with and they will still insist on calling it a superbee. :shruggy:

irish_in_ny

"What kind of Chevy is that?"   :flame:  :eek2:

I can understand if someone has no knowledge about cars in general, but just don't name any car company that comes to your head!  :brickwall:

Topher

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Indygenerallee

Gotwing, I had a guy in the shop the other day looking at my 69 Charger and I was telling him I was going to make a Daytona clone and expressing that it was the one with the nose and wing and he says "Oh yeah just like the Superbees!" I said NO your thinking of a SUPERBIRD and he says "no a buddy of mine had one and it was a superbee!!!" WTF!! Some people, When I had my 71 Challenger I had so many dumbass people say "nice 69 Camaro!" Uh yeah......
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bill440rt

Stopped to get gas one afternoon.

Q: "Hey, how much money do you have in that?"
A: "Why, are you keeping a tab?"  :slap:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: myk on April 01, 2012, 04:46:08 AM
It'd be worth changing the color of the car just so I don't have to listen to all of the General Lee s**t anymore.  "When am I going to paint the door, flags, numbers, etc, etc, etc?"   HOW ABOUT GODDAMN NEVER....

Well, let's see...You have what appears(If the car in your sig. is yours) to be albeit incorrect wheels, but similar to the Vector wheels of the General Lee and it's an orange '69 Dodge Charger...
Wow, I never woulda figured you'd get the GL sh*t....

myk

Quote from: Cooter on April 02, 2012, 01:11:14 AM
Quote from: myk on April 01, 2012, 04:46:08 AM
It'd be worth changing the color of the car just so I don't have to listen to all of the General Lee s**t anymore.  "When am I going to paint the door, flags, numbers, etc, etc, etc?"  HOW ABOUT GODDAMN NEVER....

Well, let's see...You have what appears(If the car in your sig. is yours) to be albeit incorrect wheels, but similar to the Vector wheels of the General Lee and it's an orange '69 Dodge Charger...
Wow, I never woulda figured you'd get the GL sh*t....

I bought it that way and I actually like the way it looks-sorta.  It's in the body shop now but I'll probably keep it orange.  The wheels will become gunmetal torq-thrusts.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the Torino, Firebird or VW Beetle guys don't have to hear the "hey man, when are you going to apply the blah blah blah and install the blah blah blah so you can look like the Starsky & Hutch/Knight Rider/Smokey & the Bandit/Herbie car?"

Non-car people are just annoying like this...