News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The problem with the new Challenger.

Started by 71 Bee Man, November 25, 2005, 04:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

:icon_smile_evil:

The thing that "irks" me about the pictures of the prototype Challengeris that I reckon they're nothing more than a tool to get people taking notice of Chrysler.

Fair enough you say, but my point is, remember how great the prototype Charger looked.? It had everyone talking and everyone was suddenly thinking about Chrysler. What we got in reality was a far cry from the mean machine we saw.

I reckon the same will happen here. Sure, looks great, would probably go great, and would sell like hot cakes.

Will we get it - probably not. So why bother with a prototype like this? To get people talking Chrysler.

Peter ;D
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Silver R/T

you're possibly correct, they need anything to bring their sales up. But it wont change fact that turds dont sell well
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Andrew

As ghost has already mentioned, the '99 charger concept was a chrysler, the 2006 charger is a DCX car, so unless there is another big change at DCX, It probibly wont change too much before production.

With this being said, we cannot gurantee it will look like this, it is only a concept that looks alot like the drawing, and some of you may know that car designers draw alot of pictures and make alot of concepts, most of which we dont see.

6pkrunner

When the companys were flush in money - the 50s mainly, they were spinning out concept cars all the time to judge public reaction. Today the R&D money isn't so loose and the cars are much closer to a viable production platform. From there there are many factors in play to massage the car from a narrow niche to a broader spectrum and costs are taken under consideration every step of the way.
And yes the idea of vthese types of cars is to get the public to take note of the company.

bull

In respect to what 6pk said, I would think since this particular concept vehicle was actually build by DCX rather than an outside firm (as has been said by others) one would think it might stand a much better chance of seeing daylight than say the '99 Charger concept. I just hope they don't screw us over twice because they have the perfect opportunity to do so -- one I can't help but think they will capitalize on. I hope I'm wrong but I won't be holding my breath. Vary rarely does a concept car make it into production intact.

Spartan

What I see different this time from the last Charger snafu is the success of the retro Mustang.  There is a proven market for it, and die hard mopar guys are screaming for it.

One thing I have noticed about DCX and the new Charger, they have been on their heals defending it since its introduction.  Not supporting it or praising it but defending their decision to make it a grocery getter. Hopefully they have learned from past errors.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

69_500

If I'm not mistaken I do believe that Plymouth is the make that brought back the retro styling of cars. Or do you guys not remember the Plymouth Prowler. That is the car the showed us that retro was still in. Ford tried it once with the T-bird, and it wasn't a big success. They stuck to it, and are cashing in big on the Mustang now. Mopar could do the same thing if they build the Challenger in the configuration that the prototype is.

cudaken

Well we can cross are finguers and we do stand a better chances this time around. Also remember the P/T crusier as done very well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

TheGhost

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 25, 2005, 04:59:58 AM
you're possibly correct, they need anything to bring their sales up.

Really?  Chrysler is the only American auto company to make a profit this year. :eyes:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TruckDriver

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on November 25, 2005, 04:58:55 AM
:icon_smile_evil:

The thing that "irks" me about the pictures of the prototype Challengeris that I reckon they're nothing more than a tool to get people taking notice of Chrysler.

Fair enough you say, but my point is, remember how great the prototype Charger looked.? It had everyone talking and everyone was suddenly thinking about Chrysler. What we got in reality was a far cry from the mean machine we saw.

I reckon the same will happen here. Sure, looks great, would probably go great, and would sell like hot cakes.

Will we get it - probably not. So why bother with a prototype like this? To get people talking Chrysler.

Peter ;D
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

2fast4u

Well.....on the other side of the coin .....they did a Viper prototype and made the production model pretty close to the mark......not to mention, the mustang is favored over the Charger and the GTO coming in 2nd to the Mustang.  I don't know...retro seems to be the big hit these days.   All the new Chargers that I see out and about usually have middle aged or older well to do people owning them....not the crowd they intended it to hit....sales are sales no matter who buys them as far as DCM is concerned.
    I'm sure Chrysler would love to have the sales that the Mustang is generating!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

zstalker

If recent history has taught us anything...an example in S.A.T. style:

I'm not really that pessimistic, but the idea just came to me...heehee
~Erik~
This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
I was wrong.
This changes everything.

Headrope

Quote from: 2fast4u on November 25, 2005, 09:20:52 PM

All the new Chargers that I see out and about usually have middle aged or older well to do people owning them....not the crowd they intended it to hit....sales are sales no matter who buys them as far as DCM is concerned.
     I'm sure Chrysler would love to have the sales that the Mustang is generating!

2fast

Three things:
*You might want to check your source regarding the Charger target demographic.
* Sales are sales as far as any automotive manufacturer is concerned.
* I doubt Chrysler would want to have the sales that the Mustang is generating. Sure, Ford is selling some Mustangs, but as a company both its sales and stock rating tanked. Additionally, by going retro with Mustang, Ford has positioned its only reliable seller at the head of a dead end road. Fans of Mustang now have only new option packages from back in the day to look forward to.
Chrysler has been smart. In addition to generating gripes about Charger it generated interest in a two-door (hence the Challenger). All the while selling cars. We have been screwed .. by marketing genius
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Andrew

Quote from: zstalker on November 25, 2005, 11:32:12 PM
If recent history has taught us anything...an example in S.A.T. style:

I'm not really that pessimistic, but the idea just came to me...heehee
~Erik~
Dont you just love it when members decide to post pictures of raw fecies?

yellowcuda

I want one I want one!!  I won't get my hopes up that it will look just like that, but I will start saving my coins just in case. ;D

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)

Ghoste

I don't think it was marketing genius Headrope.   I think it was just a happy accident.   They thought people would line up around the block to buy their new family car just because it said Charger.   They were amazed and puzzled when the "Hemi" campaign took off like it did and they were hoping for nostalgia lightning to strike twice.  I think the backlash truly shocked them.   I agree with the outcome as you've surmised, but it was all a lucky break.

BigBlackDodge

Mini's, VW's, PT's, HHR's, SSR's, Mustang's...................I see tons of these everywhere. Retro sells! I even saw my first Ford GT yesterday riding aorund town! ;D

BBD

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on November 26, 2005, 11:02:13 AM
Mini's, VW's, PT's, HHR's, SSR's, Mustang's...................I see tons of these everywhere. Retro sells! I even saw my first Ford GT yesterday riding aorund town! ;D

BBD
:iagree: Retro definitely sells.

I think the reason being is that the age demographic for these cars is right in the 40-50 year old area...with the exception of the VW, that's a chick car. ;)   Buyers in this age group drove muscle cars & hot rods during their younger years & now there's a chance to buy a car that reminds them of their youth, but is more refined & modernized...an already finished hot rod that can be used as a daily driver.

Just look at the age of the average guy driving a Prowler, or SSR, or GT. The same folks will be snapping up that Challenger too...if it actually ends up looking like the prototype car. I know this 41 year old sure wants one! :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

RT DAVE

I have the same problem with the "new" challenger that I have with the "new" mustang; they aren't new at all.   Am I the only one that wants a good, new (ie not just a modernized version of an old car) muscle car?  Probably.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Blown70

Quote from: RT DAVE on November 26, 2005, 12:40:59 PM
I have the same problem with the "new" challenger that I have with the "new" mustang; they aren't new at all.     Am I the only one that wants a good, new (ie not just a modernized version of an old car) muscle car?   Probably.     

Well I will agree to a point, however 30+ years of technology(spelling)  Is much nicer in a car.  Maybe not to you.  But I love the RIDE, and Comfort of my 2000 Firebird Trans Am Covert.  For a sporty car it rides pretty dang nice and Can take a corner pretty dang nice too.  Accelerate to 100 on an on ramp.

So I do have to disagree, Looks Retro but nice modern day stuff inside.

Tom

Lightning

speaking for the 20 year old crowd here, I like the idea for the new Challenger, it's one of the very few new cars I would consider buying, If I had the money.  Maybe DCX just hit the mark right this time.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Old Moparz

I didn't know there was a new one, must have missed it.

:D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TeeWJay426

The success of the 'Stang at Ford didn't go unnoticed at DCX...... it's probably the only thing keeping Ford afloat now, other than trucks. The backlash against the Chagnum also wasn't ignored. If nothing else, it can be viewed as a easure of redemption. A lot of Chrysler loyalists, myself included, would have no part of the Chagnum. I could put one in my driveway tomorrow if I had the desire for one, but I'm going to wait for the Challenger. If I was to buy anything brand new in current production, it would be the Mustang. Retro does sell, and it's a matter of style- the technology under the sheetmetal has been updated; I don't think anybody wants to go back to bias ply tires or drum brakes. Only the style is recycled, and it's what the majority of the public wants.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Telvis

Yep, if it looks anything like the concept I will buy one.

BigBlackDodge

The REAL problem with the Chally is that it's not on the dealers lot right now!!!!!!!!!! ::)

BBD