News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANOTHER Year One Rant...

Started by Rolling_Thunder, September 08, 2009, 06:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Alright guys...    I am officially boycotting Year One...   This company has been the largest bane when it comes to parts on my restoration...       I have ordered a wiring harness from them...   told me one month...    took ten months...       I now purchased a windshield gasket from them...   and after 3 weeks it still is not here...   they said it was "in stock" ---   It would be one thing if it was a cheap part...    but honestly - $80.00 gasket and $18.xx for shipping...    that is 20% of the purchase price for shipping...     and it STILL is not here         haha     

Anyway    Just thought I would post up my bickering as my project is at a stand still
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

twodko

I avoid buying anything from the ever arrogant YearOne unless no one else has the item I need. Their prices are always higher than other sources and the shipping costs are outrageous! I feel your pain.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jb666

They are horrible.

I bought something from them 6 months ago. I TOLD THE GUY ON THE PHONE I NEEDED IT QUICKLY. I paid for UPS 2nd Day Air. 2 days, 3 days, a week goes by.. I called and asked where my part was, he says "Oh I'm sorry, that's been on backorder for weeks. It won't ship out for 6 more weeks". WTF!! Why wouldn't they tell me that when I ordered..

So now I do what I can to avoid them.. Been doing pretty good too, thanks to the people here!!!

jaak

I quit using them 6 or 7 years ago....they suck. I know they have some exclusive Items but probably 95%  (or more) of what they carry, can be bought straight from the manufacturer or another vender cheaper, and with cheaper shipping.

Jason

Ghoste

They were a great resource at one time when Len Athanasiades was still running the show but ever since they went corporate they've followed the path of many (most?)corporations-screw the customer, how much money can we make and how quickly can we make it and why didn't we make more than that today?  :Twocents:

SnoPro440

Rolling_Thunder,

I have an extra gasket if you want it.  Part # WCRD715.  Long story short, I ended up with an extra because the shop doing my car thought they "lost" the first one.  You can have it for $80 with free UPS Ground shipping. PM me if you want it.

Thanks, Troy
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

mopar73

Same story, different day.  Back a couple years ago they just started advertizing for the 3rd gen quarters and I put an order in for both sides, well a half dozen phone calls and 4 months go by before they finally tell me that the vendor they were going to use (HAA, HAA) couldn't get it right and they didn't have any idea when they would be ready so I just cancelled the order.  Just about that time Tabco came out with there's and although a little more money for the quarters to buy, the shipping was cheaper,  so it was almost a wash.  Not a big fan of YO

Road Dog

Hmmm..... never had a problem with them. Even on returns.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

rav440

yep im not impressed with them at all . prices are sky high shipping is sky high everything you want is on back order " make me wonder that when you order the part , they shop around for the cheapest price they can find ?"
the web site SUCKS the BIG one  :flame: oh and hardly nothing for a 73-74  :flame:

they are a last resort for me and ill even wait before that .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Shakey

Rather than buying direct from them, one can always contact one of their many distributors around the continent.

gasoline_24

I agree they are overpriced, but you just have to wait and order with the discount code and get the 25% off.  This usually beats the other guys.  In addition, I have a ton of extra unused parts that I will be returning.  Some I bought in 2007.  I will get a full refund with no questions asked.  Ths sure beats othes that charge a 25% restocking fee after 60 days.

Ghoste

Quote from: Shakey on September 09, 2009, 07:44:24 AM

Rather than buying direct from them, one can always contact one of their many distributors around the continent.

Or one of their many suppliers.  I don't think they actually reproduce anything themselves anymore, they just middleman it from everyone.  Except for the lock they have on wiring harnesses with M&H there are a lot of other options out there.

bull

I've only used Year One once but it was an order for more than $1,300 worth of stuff so I could get the 25% off deal. Not all the stuff came right away but what didn't come in the first batch came shortly thereafter. IMO Year One is not the sort of place you should buy one or two things at a time because they're just going to grab a big box and fill it with your order as quickly as possible. The more stuff you buy that will fit in that one box the cheaper the shipping on each little item will be. They're just not set up for shipping efficiency in that sense like the smaller companies are.

Nacho-RT74

I think I forgott the last time I visited the YR1 website, and if I made was just for ilustration purpouse... and I have the DVD they gave on Carlisle last year. I dunno where I put it. Never did smell my PC.

I think in fact some years ago was a reference to us ( even the shipping charges  ::) ), but we have forgot about the existance of that shop, on same proportion they forgett they could have a market around here
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RAC95054

Quote from: twodko on September 08, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
I avoid buying anything from the ever arrogant YearOne unless no one else has the item I need. Their prices are always higher than other sources and the shipping costs are outrageous! I feel your pain.

Tom

I am in total agreement on this one.  I too have been avoiding them, and have done really well at that for more than a year now!  It's bothersome to see them on the various Speed Channel shows, getting praised for their stuff, and donating parts to projects.  I'm guessing that's why we have to pay more for their parts, because they spend too much on marketing!

Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

TylerCharger69

Well...I may as well rant a little too.   I ordered a turn signal switch from them back in July of last year!!!  They said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery....September came around...I called  "Well....it's on back order"  they claim.  December came around....."The part is coming from Canada"   (WTF???)  I finally told them to refund my money that I got tired of waiting seeing as how I've been pulled over TWICE for no turn signals.  (Luckily...I showed the police officers the reciept order...so no tickets)  When I told them to cancel the order....They wanted to charge me a "Restocking" fee!!!   "Wait a minute!!!  I never got the part, so how can you charge me these fees?"  Well....to not have to pay restock fees.............................I'm still waiting.    There's my  :Twocents:

jaak

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 09, 2009, 06:19:35 PM
Well...I may as well rant a little too.   I ordered a turn signal switch from them back in July of last year!!!  They said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery....September came around...I called  "Well....it's on back order"  they claim.  December came around....."The part is coming from Canada"   (WTF???)  I finally told them to refund my money that I got tired of waiting seeing as how I've been pulled over TWICE for no turn signals.  (Luckily...I showed the police officers the reciept order...so no tickets)  When I told them to cancel the order....They wanted to charge me a "Restocking" fee!!!   "Wait a minute!!!  I never got the part, so how can you charge me these fees?"  Well....to not have to pay restock fees.............................I'm still waiting.    There's my  :Twocents:

Restocking fee??? It wasn't stocked in the first place! That is just rediculous.

Jason

lexxman

Ok then.I haven't used then yet and I guess I won't be.Most of my part so far I've gotten local and he gets his part from a number of places.The one time I called year one the guy didn't sound very....ah awake?I would have had better luck talking to a 6 year old. :lol:

TylerCharger69

Quote from: jaak on September 09, 2009, 06:22:03 PM
Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 09, 2009, 06:19:35 PM

Restocking fee??? It wasn't stocked in the first place! That is just rediculous.
that was MY point to them....THEY didn't have it and told me they had to have it shipped from Canada!!!  Someone told me shortly afterwards, that most of what Year One advertises or sells...doesn't even come from them....they are more or less....a middle man if you will....but that's what I was told....I don't know how much truth there is to that though, but I'm leaning toward it.
Jason

bull

Silver R/T

I try to avoid shopping from them
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FastbackJon

Just had to buy a dipstick tube from them since I couldn't find it anywhere else.

$11 shipping for a $7 part. Figure that one out!

Gouging on S&H should be illegal.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

aone415

Ha I was gonna post a rant in a separate thread but thought better of it for 2 reasons: 1) this thread already exists and 2) no one ever responds to my threads anyway.  But I digress, Ordered a the signal switch wiring harness from Year One 7 weeks ago was told 3 to 4 weeks max, still don't have it.  Sent an email to YO asking for a status on the switch and was told that they wont have the switch until Jan 2010 at the earliest WTF???? the worst is that had I not inquired abuot the part, I'd still be waiting for it to come.... AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

jb666

Quote from: aone415 on September 12, 2009, 06:59:34 AM
Ha I was gonna post a rant in a separate thread but thought better of it for 2 reasons: 1) this thread already exists and 2) no one ever responds to my threads anyway.  But I digress, Ordered a the signal switch wiring harness from Year One 7 weeks ago was told 3 to 4 weeks max, still don't have it.  Sent an email to YO asking for a status on the switch and was told that they wont have the switch until Jan 2010 at the earliest WTF???? the worst is that had I not inquired abuot the part, I'd still be waiting for it to come.... AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL

Same thing happened to me... Paid for 2 day shipping to find out it was weeks away.. They have seen the last of my business.

dkn1997

I usually buy when my dad gives me the old year one gift certificate every christmas (of course their stupid website has no way of redeeming it so you HAVE to call which is retarded) or I bought with a 25% off code when I had about 1000.00 worth of stuff to buy.  I have to say that back in 1996/97 when I was first buying parts for my car, they were great.  The web was not what it is now and it wasn't as easy to find parts.  It was a great reference for me too because they did have good explanations of part applications and diagrams of front suspensions, break drum assemblies, etc....

But I do avoid them when I can because of the raping they give you.  It's a matter of how important hassle free returns are for you...and the fact that you can buy all of your stuff at one place.  It's a real PIA if you have to order from 4 different places because they don't have all the stuff you need.
RECHRGED