News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger kill story from back in the day.....

Started by A34, September 02, 2009, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A34

I wrote this up years ago for my club newsletter. Found it tonight looking for some other files. Thought I'd post it here. Hope you guys get a kick out of it.

1969 Charger R/T vs. 1971 GT-37
Flashback to late May 1983, first Saturday after graduating High School, I'm cruising in my trusty Green 1969 Charger R/T, 440 4-spd car, and run into a fellow Senior in his car. We didn't run in the same crowd, so we never spoke during school, however, we'd often pass each other while cruising the 2 lane highway that ran through the middle of town. We'd always rev our engines at each other, bounce the front-ends and other stupid crap teenagers do. But, we never met side by side until this night. He pulled out from a gas station on the main drag just as I pulled out from a side street onto that same stretch, meeting each other at the same time.

He had a Red 1971 Pontiac GT-37. I believe it was a 400 auto with the typical cam, headers and carb. My car was stock, but of course it was a Big Block Mopar! Anyway, we drove up through town for the next couple of blocks goosing the cars. We stopped at an intersection, which just happened to be beside an old walk-in movie theater that had been converted to a Holy Roller Church. The Church was letting out at the time we pulled up to the light. The sidewalk was full of very serious looking people.

The GT-37 driver brought it up against the stall, which got the attention of the Churchgoers. I tried to be cool and idle the 440 up to 1500 rpm while holding the clutch. I got nervous and ran it up to about 3500 and the light turned Green. I dumped the clutch and left the line absolutely smoking the tires, bias-ply's mind you - G-60-14's. So did the GT-37, but not quite as bad. As my car slid right, I could see he had me by a fender off the line due to my over-revving. I still remember the open jawed bystanders as we left the line. My car quickly ran up to the shift point and I nailed second.

When I hit second, it was like the Charger hit warp speed, I left the GT-37 in the weeds. I literally pulled him so hard that by the time I was in mid third gear, I backed out of it because he was wayyyyy behind. I waited for him to catch up. He pulled up beside me and gave me the obligatory loser nod. I was cool, and gave a slight nod back. That's right, I won, you lost. Don't mess with Mopar. Yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, it was late by the time all this happened, so I drove home. As I pulled in the driveway, I heard something funny. The car didn't sound right. Oh no, had I hurt it? I got out and listened, it was missing.  Hmmm, not good. I popped the hood in the gravel driveway and dug out the flashlight. As I scanned the engine compartment, it hit me. Number 7 plug wire was swinging in the breeze. I plugged it back and she purred like a kitten again. So, not only did I beat the GT-37, but I did it on 7 cylinders!  Ok, ok, it was a 400 Pontiac, but hey 7 cylinders is kinda cool don't you think?

I left for Army basic training shortly thereafter and didn't think much about it. Just another easy kill. Then, my running buddy from high school, Jimmy, sends me a letter. In it he detailed how the GT-37 driver was running his mouth about how fast his car was. Jimmy, being the ultimate cool guy, saunters up in the middle of the crowd and states that he knows where a certain Green Charger is, if he really wants to race and thinks he's fast. The GT-37 driver wasn't a happy camper at that announcement and publicly turned down Jimmy's offer, receiving several derisive remarks from the crowd. That letter really brightened up my day after being yelled at by Drill Sergeants all day.

I did not see the GT-37 driver again for many years. But, around 12 years after that fateful May night, there was a car show close to my hometown. I happened to be in town visiting the folks. I decided to drop in, and he was there with his car. I was impressed he still had it. Looked like he had just painted it, it was missing the decals. No mistaking it was the same car. I didn't see him until I was getting ready to leave.  I resisted the urge to go up to him and say, "Hey, the last time I saw you; you were in my rear view mirror".  Instead, as I was finishing a conversation with someone, he walked by, looked at me, did a double take, I nodded and smiled, and he moved out swiftly. I thought to myself, "Well, I guess he doesn't want to talk to me." I left and went back to my folk's house, not thinking much about it. I regret not following him and at least saying, "Hi".

Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

mopar_nut_440_6

Awesome story. There is nothing quite like the feeling of grabbing a gear and feeling the rear end hook and the front end jump. All you 4 speed guys know what I am talking about.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

TexasStroker

Nice kill and write-up...Guess some folks just never live it down...

Very commendable for not rubbing it in his face...especially since you were firing on .875 of your true potential  :lol:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

tan top

awesome story  Dude :yesnod:  , love reading about stuff like that  :popcrn:  :2thumbs:

:drive: ......... :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Tilar

I remember living those kind of days fairly often. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose. Cool story, Thanks for posting that.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A34

Deo Vindice

Davtona

LoneStar Mopar

Great story!  So do you still have the green charger?

A34

Quote from: LoneStar Mopar on September 06, 2009, 09:36:11 AM
Great story!  So do you still have the green charger?

Yes, here's a reunion pic of my best friend, Jimmy, and I from 2007.
Deo Vindice

LoneStar Mopar

I am truly impressed that not only did you have such a great car as a youngster but that you had the foresight to keep it all of these years. It looks like you took good care of her over the years. It is a shame that when I started driving and got my first car that cheap used cars were mid 80s junkers.

A34

Quote from: LoneStar Mopar on September 06, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
I am truly impressed that not only did you have such a great car as a youngster but that you had the foresight to keep it all of these years. It looks like you took good care of her over the years. It is a shame that when I started driving and got my first car that cheap used cars were mid 80s junkers.

Thanks Man. It's one of the few things in my life I had any foresight on.
Deo Vindice

Road Dog

Great story! I cruise thru my old haunts in Elzabeth City ( 3 or 4 hours east of me) once in awhile in the beast. The old Sonic is there , but all the old warriors are long gone (except mine). When pull I go into the Sonic and look around at the kids there ,it's kinda fun knowing they could near be grandkids of the kids I cruised with in the late 70's.  

Oh and back then my car had slotted wheels too (A F/X's).
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

mopar73

MoparManJim

Ya know, when I first red the headline, I thought a charger was killed back then, but when I click and red what was said. I was  :coolgleamA:  :yesnod: