News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windows Vista Help - Need to reset my Dad's old passwords HELP!!!

Started by TruckDriver, August 29, 2009, 09:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

My mom gave me all of my dads computer stuff, including a 2007 HP Pavilion. My dad (for whatever reason) had the laptop password protected. Is there a way around his password without eraseing the hard drive? I need to get into the computer to find out if there is any needed info for my mom on it. But I need to get around that password.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Tilar

There are 3 or 4 things you can do on this page that might do it,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

Then there is this.   http://www.windows-logon-key.com/index.html

I know a way to do it in XP if you have command console installed, but I don't know if Vista uses the same commands and structure.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TruckDriver

I can't even log onto windows at all. I tried everything I could find by Googling and stuff.

The Windows Logon Key 6.0 thing would be good, but I am not sure if it is a download or I have to wait for it to come in the mail?
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

You've probably tried this but how about just guessing the password? :shruggy:

Tilar

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on August 30, 2009, 10:18:59 AM
I can't even log onto windows at all. I tried everything I could find by Googling and stuff.

The Windows Logon Key 6.0 thing would be good, but I am not sure if it is a download or I have to wait for it to come in the mail?

It's downloadable. There is also this one, http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and like Bull said, Try different variations of things your Dad might have used as a password. initials, date of birth, a hobby or car or tractor that he might have liked, social security number, childrens names, and of each of them try all caps, then just a capital first letter... Many older people seem to use their names or at least last name and maybe a number.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on August 30, 2009, 02:04:31 PM
You've probably tried this but how about just guessing the password? :shruggy:

I tried every password that I can possably I can think of.
PETE

TruckDriver

PETE

jb666

There's so much crap out there when you search this subject..  At one point, one of our sales reps left, and we took the laptop back from him. Obviously, we couldn't get in. I went in and did a system restore, but as a result lost everything.. It wasn't important though, we just wanted to give the system to another rep.

Good luck with the quest. In the meantime, have you attempted to go into the system directories through safe mode and poke around?? You can find any "saved files" that way. Just transfer them over to a thumb drive and go on your way (entire directories if you'd rather).

captnsim

The floppy is just the old timers way of saying "drive/device". Copy the program to a usb drive then boot from the device you copied it to.

TruckDriver

Quote from: jb666 on August 30, 2009, 08:05:51 PMhave you attempted to go into the system directories through safe mode and poke around?? You can find any "saved files" that way. Just transfer them over to a thumb drive and go on your way (entire directories if you'd rather).

I tried the safe mode yesterday already, and even that won't let me in because of his password :shruggy:

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 30, 2009, 07:59:59 PM
Try 'password'

BBD

Tried that yesterday already, nothing

Quote from: captnsim on August 30, 2009, 09:20:39 PM
The floppy is just the old timers way of saying "drive/device". Copy the program to a usb drive then boot from the device you copied it to.

I don't own a USB drive.
PETE

captnsim

You don't have a SD card with a usb reader or any form of storage device that will hookup to both computers? Lots of differant ones can be had real cheap. 20 bucks or so in various forms...
You will need to use some form of retrieval service or password hack program to access this computer. Safe mode or DOS manipulation will not work to retrieve files. A fresh install of the operating system will allow you to recover use of the laptop at the loss of all files...

Troy

You could try using Linux on CD if you just need to read the drive. A bit more involved would be to partition the drive (not format!) and install a second operating system of your choice.

A decent USB thumb drive costs less then $15. I have a small one I'd give you for free.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

captnsim

Great idea Troy...Just be aware you may run into some encription issues for the password protected files with vista using the Linux boot disc or the partition/second OPSys but worth a try as it will not hurt any files on the computer.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Troy on August 30, 2009, 10:53:18 PM
You could try using Linux on CD if you just need to read the drive. A bit more involved would be to partition the drive (not format!) and install a second operating system of your choice.

A decent USB thumb drive costs less then $15. I have a small one I'd give you for free.

Troy

I'll take it if you are willing to give it up.

Quote from: captnsim on August 30, 2009, 11:25:31 PM
Great idea Troy...Just be aware you may run into some encription issues for the password protected files with vista using the Linux boot disc or the partition/second OPSys but worth a try as it will not hurt any files on the computer.

I tried to install Windows XP, but it keeps telling me that it can't detect a hard drive.  :shruggy:  But once I get what we need off of it, I plan to wipe it clean, and reprogram it.
PETE

Troy

I should have been a bit more clear - you can run Linux from the CD without touching or installing anything on the hard drive. That way you can browse around looking at files and not worry about overwriting or damaging anything. You need to partition the drive before trying to install Windows XP (on the new partition) or it will install where Vista was. That's definitely not what you want. You need to find a program that will safely partition the drive without deleting the existing files (basically moving the existing stuff to one end of the drive before splitting the drive into two drives). I can't remember the name of any that I've used right now but several come free with various Linux install CDs. Like I said, this is more involved than just booting an OS on CD. If it were a regular computer I'd say just remove the drive and stick it in another PC as a secondary hard drive but laptop drives would require some sort of adapter.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TruckDriver

PETE

451-74Charger

Download hirens Boot CD (Linux) and use the password reset tool on there
You can search for it on rapidshare or another service.
I use it all the time ;)

lisiecki1

you might download PHLAK.....there may be something in there you can use....(Professional Hackers Linux Attack Kit)......Just make sure you virus scan anything you download, hackers can be real a$$holes....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phlak+download&aq=0&oq=PHLAK&aqi=g10
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

ChgrSteve67

The easy way to get the date off is to by USB hard drive adapter and plug the drive into another computer.
Then just copy the data off. Very few people password protect or encrytp thier data.
I use one simular to this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3265860&CatId=3770

After you have a copy of the data you can reinstall the OS and programs again.

TruckDriver

Quote from: captnsim on September 03, 2009, 11:05:48 AM
Any luck cracking the laptop?

Hell no... other then being ripped off $50.00 by this link http://www.windows-logon-key.com/index.html

I bought it, and it doesn't work, and they are not answering emails.

I am done down loading stuff now for it. I have no clue as to how Linux works. It's over my head. So I am going to pay a local computer place $40.00 to crack it.
PETE

captnsim