News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More vacuum leaks

Started by Purple440, August 29, 2009, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

Hey guys, I had some vacuum leaks between the intake and heads earlier this year and I've since replaced the intake and this time included a gasket on each side of the valley pan to ensure proper sealing.  Well, I've still got this engine shake thing going on (for years now) so I double checked the intake seal today for the hell of it with some carb cleaner, and whad'ya know, I STILL have a vacuum leak on the passenger side, and maybe a small one on the drivers side!  :brickwall: :brickwall:

Anyone had this problem?  Possible warped head?

- Doug

TylerCharger69

Did you use any sealer?    :shruggy:

c00nhunterjoe

have the heads or intake been milled?  if not then i use just the valley pan with a good rtv that is oil proof. i prefer ford 7.3 diesel silicone. this stuff is nasty, it seals anything and everything. fuel, oil, water, antifreeze, none of it effects it. i have never had it leak on anything i have ever used it on.
its a bit pricey and only available from the ford dealers.

Purple440

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 29, 2009, 07:42:44 PM
Did you use any sealer?    :shruggy:

Just some adhesive to get the gaskets to stick to the valley pan for installation.  Am I supposed to use sealer along with gaskets?

Ok I just read this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59292.0.html and it looks like my heads being blueprinted along with the block, it may have changed the geometry of how the intake sits on the head.  Unfortunately I don't know how much they took off to get everything flat.  If they took off enough to cause this, then that may explain why my compression is so high.

I looked on Summit for gasket variations from Edelbrock and it just listed one, which is probably what they sent me with the RPM.  Any suggestions?

Purple440

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 29, 2009, 07:51:29 PM
have the heads or intake been milled? 

Just the blueprinting, but I guess that counts.  No milling for compression raising though.

firefighter3931

Doug, did you have to elongate the intake bolts to install it ?

Fwiw, i use Ultra copper on both sides of the valley pan and don't use the paper gaskets....let it set up overnight before final torque.

The Felpro 1215 is the 440 intake gasket with the heat crossover block off.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TylerCharger69

Hmmmmm...I wonder if the block has been decked to the point that the intake sits too high, causing vacuum leaks??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 30, 2009, 03:26:33 PM
Doug, did you have to elongate the intake bolts to install it ?

Fwiw, i use Ultra copper on both sides of the valley pan and don't use the paper gaskets....let it set up overnight before final torque.

The Felpro 1215 is the 440 intake gasket with the heat crossover block off.  ;)

Ron

My builder didn't call me back today, but I don't remember anything about elongated bolts.  Using the same bolts on the RPM as we used on the original M1 dual plane.  Using the 1215 gasket currently based on your recommendations  :yesnod:.

Hmmmmm...I wonder if the block has been decked to the point that the intake sits too high, causing vacuum leaks???   

That's what I'm thinking, or the head work.  My builder said that blueprinting wouldn't take off that much material, but what else would make sealing be so difficult? 

- Doug

Purple440

Got a camcorder today for the sole purpose of showing you guys what I'm dealing with.  The vid is 3:26 long, nothing too exciting.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUEiYNLpUY

- Doug

[edit] This is extremely slow on youtube - start it and pause it while it loads.  What's up with youtube these days? 

c00nhunterjoe

all i can say from that is try using ford powerstroke diesel silicone. its only available at ford dealers and is a little pricey, but it is well worth it. this stuff will seal anything and is oil proof. i use it on everything car related and even the house. it works great for patching roof leaks too. its available in standard tubes or caulk gun sticks.

as for the video- you hold more vaccum than i do....lol 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on September 28, 2009, 08:06:39 PM
Got a camcorder today for the sole purpose of showing you guys what I'm dealing with.  The vid is 3:26 long, nothing too exciting.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUEiYNLpUY

- Doug

[edit] This is extremely slow on youtube - start it and pause it while it loads.  What's up with youtube these days? 

Honestly....that engine idles better than most i've had.  :lol: Have you checked your motor mounts Doug ? That might account for some of the shake ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Vac looks good to me, way more than my 440 pulls.  The shaking...thought they all shook when you put big hairy man cams in them.
I'm with Ron, check the mounts.  Can you say SOLID MOUNT?

Purple440

Thanks guys.  Yep I'll check the mounts, hadn't considered that because it's not a constant shake even though when I put the camera on the dash it seemed so.  Maybe it is just my cam after all.  I think the vac leaks are gone.

:cheers:

- Doug