News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accessories fit

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, August 28, 2009, 05:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Will a 68 power steering unit bolt up to a 78 440 block? And will a 68 a/c unit bolt up to a 78 440 motor?

Thanks

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well both mostly bolt up to the waterpump housing which are pretty much the same layout through the years (except some of the newer years have the outlet going towards the pass side of the block)
I'd say yes to both.
They would have to have the big block specific bracketry though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on August 28, 2009, 05:48:48 AM
Well both mostly bolt up to the waterpump housing which are pretty much the same layout through the years (except some of the newer years have the outlet going towards the pass side of the block)
I'd say yes to both.
They would have to have the big block specific bracketry though
I have a matching numbers 383 in my 68 now and have an opportunity to buy a 78 440 for what I think is cheap and want to know what parts I can change over. Such as distributor, water pump, oil pan, a/c ,ps pump, valve covers,. I know I will need a new intake. Can I switch over the parts mentioned?
I may not buy this block because my motor is correct but I may be able to buy this 440 cheaper than I can have my 383 rebuilt. Any comments?

Thanks

62 Max

With the exception of your distributor and a complete set of belts,everything else will work as long as you transfer everything.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 62 Max on August 28, 2009, 10:19:40 AM
With the exception of your distributor and a complete set of belts,everything else will work as long as you transfer everything.

Since the 440 is a 78 will I have to use an HEI distributor? Cant use my old one?

62 Max

Any big block points distributor will work or 72 and up electronic if you convert it.

TylerCharger69

I agree....everything mentioned....except for the distributor!!!   I've asked the same questions too!!!  And the 402 oil pan can be used in place of the 933 as well.....make sure you use the right pick up tube though...Even the heads can be swapped!!!

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 28, 2009, 05:16:19 PM
I agree....everything mentioned....except for the distributor!!!   I've asked the same questions too!!!  And the 402 oil pan can be used in place of the 933 as well.....make sure you use the right pick up tube though...Even the heads can be swapped!!!

I have the heads.

TylerCharger69

Ive also learned that you can use the 383 distributor providing you change out the shaft with a 440 version.....if you happen to have those parts!!!

Sixt8Chrgr

Does someone have a picture of what part you change out on the distributor?