News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ever have this happen?

Started by mopar0166, August 27, 2009, 07:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

last night on the way to a show, i hit a drip with my charger, the hood popped open???/??? and screwed up my hood, the brackets and fenders?/  :brickwall:

I'm considering calling the insurance company on this one because we all know how much those body panels are!!  

needless to say , i was entirely bummed out last night at the show and had to leave early.     any suggestions

by the way the latch and safety latch both were good and i always pull up on the hood to make sure that is closed correctly!    :shruggy:

terrible one

I've heard of that happening. Good thing you made it home safely after that! This can be my justification for hood pins.  :coolgleamA:

mopar0166

i have an orange 69 charger, and maybe one a a general lee   but were the hood pins optional for a 69?  or would they just look out of place.  

saw them on a challenger and cuda and later chargers  

called the insurance company and the body shop to get an estimate tonight

I'm guessing to do it right the front clip(hood and fenders) should be replaced?  

Ghoste

I had in happen in a Chev I owned years ago, not a pleasant situation to find yourself suddenly in.

451-74Charger

Hood Pins !!
gotta have them when you have the aerodynamics of a brick

mopar0166

ive been looking into it, and did find that it was a rare option in 69.   so i could get away with putting them on, cant wait to see the estimate to get my front clip fixed :brickwall:

terrible one

Eesh yeah that's going to be no fun. So did the hood damage the cowl/windshield/top of the fenders as well? Any pictures?

b5blue

OH CRAP! That's why I have locking hood pins...you can't even open the hood without the key. What a bummer! :o

mopar0166

ill have pics tonight, the cowl is fine, manaully the hinges hood and mounts for hood on fenders. 

who knows what will be repairable but i have been looking at a AMD catelog all day.

mopar0166

estimate is 2300 for a new hood hinges, straighten the fenders and to repaint

Musicman

I had that happen to me in a Chevelle on the interstate... wasn't my car... or anyone elses after that.
You can't do 70 down the interstate at night with the hood up and not hit something. :D

mopar0166

its been fund finding a second person to give a damage qoute as well.

69bronzeT5

Hasn't happened to me but I have a similar story. My dad had to chain down the hood of his old '71 Camaro RS Z/28 or else the hood would pop open when driving it. Well, when he sold it, he told the new owners to make sure they chain down the hood. They more of less said "Yeah, whatever". Well....a couple of days later they phoned to say the hood flew open and destroyed it and the windshield :slap:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi-hampton

Reminds me of the time I was taking my 74 Camaro for a little spin around the inside of my fenced off Storage area. Had a fiberglass L-88 hood with 4 hood pins, One at each corner & no hinges. Since it was just a little spin not on a main road failed to use the pins. Big Mistake, I must of got a little carried away going to fast because the next thing I know I seen the hood start to wobble & then start to lift in slow motion. Next thing I know it shot off like a rocket about 50 feet in the air. I lock up the brakes & stop & jump out to see it falling to earth. I'm thinking it will shatter in a million peices. It hits the Ashpalt totally flat & hardly a scratch. Couldn't beleive it :o :o LEON.

Rolling_Thunder

did your car have the secondary hood catch ?  Isn't the point of said catch to prevent this from happening ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

268RTs4ME

Doesn't sound like his safty catch was working to me...

TylerCharger69

Never had that happen, but I'm wondering as well....Is there a secondary "catch"  latch there?  Should be.

Ghoste

Yep, and that's why I never completely trust them.  I don't have hood pins on mine and I only had it happen that one time 20 some years ago but it's still always in the back of my mind.  I can't tell you why the safety catch didn't hold.  Interestingly, except for the original post all of the replies that have experienced have been in Chevs.

b5blue

Well the 14 Chevys I had left a trail of parts everywhere I went........that's why I won't own one. :shruggy:

mopar0166

here is some pics, like i said its doesnt look bad but it is

mopar0166

mopar0166

mopar0166

more

b5blue

Ghoste