News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Customer with a 74 for sale. Is he asking too much

Started by Brickster, August 25, 2009, 10:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brickster

I have a customer that is a disabled WW2 veteran. Today while doing an oil change on an off topic vehicle he mentioned that he has a 74 Charger SE for sale. Of course the first question was "how much?" he says "15" I say "fifteeeeeen thousand?" and he replies "yep". Now don't get me wrong it is a well kept, unrestored, garaged car but it is also a 318, auto, bench seat, 3rd gen. Is he way off base asking 15k or is it about right? Sorry I have no pictures. He mentioned that the only damage is on the passenger side door sill where he drags his wheel chair into the car.

Blown70

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

it better be in the "survivor" category to think about getting that much for (1) SE and (2) 318 car.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ZSmithersCharges

Ive got a hunch it probably doesn't need restoration and that the motor and tranny are probably original.  He also probably has the price high because he doesn't "really" wan't to sell but if you panned out enough cash he would.  Put simply everything has a price tag... except family... and cars that I have adopted into my family  :rofl: But that's just my hunch prove me wrong... get some pics!

Tilar

Personally I'd say it's way too high. I saw a 74 SE from Texas go through ebay that was an original owner car with 85k miles on it with a 6900 buy it now and it didn't sell. There are better deals.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Tilar on August 26, 2009, 03:53:43 AM
Personally I'd say it's way too high. I saw a 74 SE from Texas go through ebay that was an original owner car with 85k miles on it with a 6900 buy it now and it didn't sell. There are better deals.

Its high... its not way too high though according to NADA. http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1974&m=1052&d=2467&c=7&o=10668~10675&vi=69776&z=45243&da=-1

rav440

my question is how old is this guy . if hes a WWII vet the youngest he could possibly be is 79 years old and thats joining when he was 15 years old lieing about his age to join in 1945 . anyway what im getting at is if i were you and your interested in the car talk to him and explain the value of the car and make him an offer . chances are he watched an auction on TV and seen a 3rd gen go for a good buck so thats why he wants so much .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Polygon

Here's what I did a few years back. William, friend of the family, wanted to sell a 1959 Jeep Wagon. Been in the family since new. Nice shape. The local 'Classic car dealer (back in the boom) said $16,000. I'm thinking, that's way too high.

Since he wanted to sell, I put it on eBay for hin with a reseve of $12,000.

It bid up too $4,900. I said to him, now you know what buyer are REALLY willing to pay for it. So I put it on a BUY-IT-NOW for $5,500, and it sold.

William paid me $100 for my time and I did it as a favor.

William, the Jeeps owner, is now in a nursing home, a WWII Vet who went ashore on D-Day+4. A really neat person.

S
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Tilar

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 26, 2009, 04:03:07 AM
Quote from: Tilar on August 26, 2009, 03:53:43 AM

Its high... its not way too high though according to NADA. http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1974&m=1052&d=2467&c=7&o=10668~10675&vi=69776&z=45243&da=-1

NADA pricing will take a while to catch up to the economy and relies on auctions and dealer input from actual sales for their pricing. The average Joe won't get NADA prices except in a few rare cases. Of course a pic of the car he's looking at would help.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

I've usually found the NADA guide (and it's relatives) to be notoriously inaccurate personally.

ZSmithersCharges

Fellas fellas I wasnt saying it was right I was just saying for reference purposes only  :lol: I can dream cant I?  :nana: But in all seriousness I was just poking fun I know NADA is kind of rediculous most times.  Not to mention the price is "high retail" so that is the price a dealer would expect for it, not your average consumer so yes you are correct on that one.  I do believe a dealer could probably sucker someone out of 15k in a heartbeat again in the right condition/mileage/#'s matching.

41husk

I have a 73 U code with a functional air grabber hood rumble bee sticker fresh paint and a healthy 440.  I have put in at least 25k and because it is a 73 and this economy, I would be lucky to get 15k for it.  That doesn't mean I would take 15k.  This guy has a 5 or 6k car at best (hard to tell with out seeing it but 318 SE not real rare)That he probably bought it new for under 5k.  I am guessing that if all was layed out he would take much less, but you never know.  Maybe it was his first ever new car, or one of his children were born in the back seat or some other such sentimental reason.   
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger440RDN

After selling several cars I have to say that the old saying is true "YOUR CAR IS ONLY WORTH WHAT SOMEBODY ELSE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT" no matter what type of car it is. Selling a car can be a humbling experience. No matter how nice it is people will find a way to pick it apart and talk the price down. Everybody wants something for nothing. :lol: But yes that asking price is a pipe dream in this current economy.

Nacho-RT74

NADA guides got lower prices a little bit. Last time ( maybe a year and a half ago ) I checked mine it was on 22K, now on 19K ( max retail )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 27, 2009, 03:09:07 AM
After selling several cars I have to say that the old saying is true "YOUR CAR IS ONLY WORTH WHAT SOMEBODY ELSE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT" no matter what type of car it is. Selling a car can be a humbling experience. No matter how nice it is people will find a way to pick it apart and talk the price down. Everybody wants something for nothing. :lol: But yes that asking price is a pipe dream in this current economy.

Right so its all about finding the person that is willing to pay what you want for it.  Obviously someone who works in a shop is not the right customer which is why this post was spawned.  But the guy asked so he told him anyways.  I guarantee hes going to get what he wants out of it because hes obviously firm on the price so he must feel its worth it in some way.  As said if the car is all original with low miles its doesnt neccesarily need a resto to be worth 15k because it could be in fine condition from the factory i.e. garage kept.  Therefore making it worth more money because you know all the body work is solid and if there are any imperfections in the paint its strictly from the manufacturer not some whack job who did a shitty resto.  I think he'll get his cash.  Maybe not from this guy... but from someone with a little doe and a good eye for value.  Perhaps a collector.  15k is nothing to those people for a quality car.

Charger440RDN

Have you ever noticed how long it takes for classic cars and muscle cars to sell in those books like Auta-Buy and Hemmings? Most of those cars are pristine and restored, some are survivors, but a lot of people are not buying them. I think they have most of them wayyyyy over priced and if you notice some of the same muscle cars have been in those books for 2 years plus.

ZSmithersCharges

:shruggy: It all comes down the the condition of this car. Which without pictures or video... is pointless to argue. But saying it was mint it is very possible. Besides I don't think the old guy would mind having it in one of your mags for a year or two or more... hes not going anywhere fast.  On the flip side if this car is in any way at all less than perfect, then no it would not be worth 15.  I'm not arguing the likelyhood of the car being immaculate because its probably not.  My point is simply this, there is a 3rd gen survivor that is worth 15k at least somewhere out there, it may not be this one but 3rd gens hold value too.

ACUDANUT

chargerjy9

I have a 73 SE with a 400 4bbl,working A/C, fairly optioned up. I bought it 6 years ago with 2,765 miles on the odometer. It is an unrestored survivor. After I bought it I removed the factory installed spark plugs and wires put modern radials on it, replaced all the belts and hoses so that I could drive it. The only parts not original to the car, other than maintainance items are new shocks, mufflers and a rebuilt steering gear box. today it has 13K on the odo. It was appraised 3 years ago ( it needs a new appraisal) for $24,000. It is insured for 28K, I am thinking of upping the amount. I believe that 3rd gens are coming of age now,yes, even 73 and 74s
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

41husk

I hope your right, but I believe in this economy no prices are going up.  I would like to see my Wanna Bee worth at least the $ I have put in it some day.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 27, 2009, 10:58:04 PM
Have you ever noticed how long it takes for classic cars and muscle cars to sell in those books like Auta-Buy and Hemmings? Most of those cars are pristine and restored, some are survivors, but a lot of people are not buying them. I think they have most of them wayyyyy over priced and if you notice some of the same muscle cars have been in those books for 2 years plus.
I bet hemmings love to take their money for their Bogus over priced add's too. :Twocents:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: chargerjy9 on August 28, 2009, 06:41:54 AM
I have a 73 SE with a 400 4bbl,working A/C, fairly optioned up. I bought it 6 years ago with 2,765 miles on the odometer. It is an unrestored survivor. After I bought it I removed the factory installed spark plugs and wires put modern radials on it, replaced all the belts and hoses so that I could drive it. The only parts not original to the car, other than maintainance items are new shocks, mufflers and a rebuilt steering gear box. today it has 13K on the odo. It was appraised 3 years ago ( it needs a new appraisal) for $24,000. It is insured for 28K, I am thinking of upping the amount. I believe that 3rd gens are coming of age now,yes, even 73 and 74s

Its not just 68-70 that are increasing in rarity its all of them and with that being said even a 74 is 35 years old! Thats a long time for a hunk of metal to be floating around without being mortally wounded especially in the hands of the drivers we have today.  I believe a 73-74 in mint condition unrestored will hold value up to a measily 15k because even in our current economy that is CHEAP for a perfect condition classic.  With that being said thank you for your input Chargerjy9 :2thumbs: