News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Were 2nd gen lower control arms originally cadmium plated?

Started by bull, August 20, 2009, 09:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Or do they just look like they were? Any idea what cadmium plating generally costs on a part like that?

I'm not too sure I want to go with the look-alike method detailed here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16204.0.html

Rolling_Thunder

originally the arms were coated is cosmoline...    which gave them a goldish hue...    I usually have arms powder coated black like the K member but that isnt 100% original
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 20, 2009, 10:01:33 PM
originally the arms were coated is cosmoline...    which gave them a goldish hue...    I usually have arms powder coated black like the K member but that isnt 100% original

Are you sure about the cosmoline? It seems to me they look just like the cad-plated stuff like brake boosters and such. Is cosmoline gold?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes most were dipped in Cosmoline....some made it out painted black as well AFAIK.

There are a few places that have paint to replicate the Cosmoline look.... Totally Auto maybe or Resto Rick ????
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

runningman

Here are some pics of mine in this thread that I had powder coated http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55775.0.html  They look brighter in the pics then they actually are though.  Not totally correct but I like they way they came out.

Matt

bull

Somebody somewhere mentioned clear coat over cosmoline to encase the stickiness. I have to wonder why the factory used cosmoline on the LCAs but nowhere else. :shruggy:

Shakey

I painted mine using Eastwood's Gold Cad to replicate the Cosmoline look without the mess and the month of leaving them hanging before they could be touched.

I read about this on Jet's website (69HEMI).

Troy from TX who just bought the Daytona did a good job of his and posted some pics.

bull

I called my local paint supply shop and although they had nothing to offer they said Krylon makes something that mimicks the cosmoline/cadmuim finish. I'll have to look into it. Eastwood is great but I wish they would deal with distributors instead of mail order only. For some reason I have an issue with paying for shipping on stuff like paint. Odd or hard to find parts is different but paint? Nah.

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on August 20, 2009, 09:16:20 PM
Or do they just look like they were? Any idea what cadmium plating generally costs on a part like that?

I'm not too sure I want to go with the look-alike method detailed here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16204.0.html

Curtis,
See my reply to that thread in your link above. I basically painted them steel gray for protection, & used Eastwood's Heavy Duty Anti-Rust in a spray can. It is essentially Cosmoline in a spray can. Multiple coats are needed to get that gold hue. They remain sticky for a long, long time.
If you can't deal with the stickiness, perhaps look into Eastwood's Carb Renew spray paint. It is used to mimick the gold finish on Holley's and other carbs, and might be a close alternative to Cosmoline for you.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on August 21, 2009, 02:19:44 PM
Quote from: bull on August 20, 2009, 09:16:20 PM

Curtis,
See my reply to that thread in your link above. I basically painted them steel gray for protection, & used Eastwood's Heavy Duty Anti-Rust in a spray can. It is essentially Cosmoline in a spray can. Multiple coats are needed to get that gold hue. They remain sticky for a long, long time.
If you can't deal with the stickiness, perhaps look into Eastwood's Carb Renew spray paint. It is used to mimick the gold finish on Holley's and other carbs, and might be a close alternative to Cosmoline for you.

Thanks. I remember seeing your project; it looks very nice.

So how long is a long, long time?

runningman

Bull, free shipping from Eastwood through the weekend.  You have to enter the code ship89 into the coupon code box during checkout.   :2thumbs: