News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullit Chase behind the scenes...

Started by NYCMille, August 20, 2009, 09:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I don't think it's been posted before.  I have seen it but anyone who hasn't needs to check out the link, lots of great Charger footage.

69bronzeT5

Awesome, I haven't seen it before. Hey, is that a '69 between 7:06 and 7:12 :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RECHRGD

I have the DVD but haven't watched it in awhile.  I remember driving my original '68 RT to the movies and watching Bullitt.  It never failed that there were always people that were jacked up after watching the chase scene and wanting to race me.  I obliged them on more than a few occasions.  I never liked the fact that the implication was there that the Mustang could run down the Charger.  Back in the day, I went up against several 390 Stangs, and it was a no contest deal.  They were dogs.  For the movie though, they did do some mods to the Mustang and put smaller tires on the Charger to try and even things up.  I had an article at one time that had all that neat kind of information in it, but have no idea where it is now.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

MichaelRW

A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

bull

:2thumbs: Thanks for the link. I didn't realize until now that that was actually Bill Hickman on camera. I knew he was the stunt driver but it's unusual for stuntmen to be seen on film. I guess one clue is that he had no lines. :coolgleamA:

RECHRGD

Quote from: MichaelRW on August 20, 2009, 05:12:33 PM
Here's a 1969 article from Car Life magazine: http://www.ponysite.de/carlife.htm

Not the article that I'm thinking of, but good just the same!  Thanks,   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Todd Wilson

Neal_J

The video was fun to watch.  Thanks for posting.

While I've always enjoyed the chase, I've always felt it was equal parts hype & susbstance.   It's great fun to watch and epic for the era in which it was filmed.  However, under close scrutiny its sorta lame.  First & foremost, a Dodge loses to a Ford?  How many hubcaps does the Dodge lose?  How many times do they pass that same VW & Pontiac?

Living near SF and knowing the streets well, there is just no way that they're doing anything close to 100mph in any of the street scenes.  The VW and the Pontia care clearly doing no more than 5 mph so I'd say most of the chase is done at less than 50mph. 

Still cool but sorta lame too.

Mike DC

If you wanna get technical, it was probably even slower that it looks.  The footage of the hill jumping looks like it was recorded a bit undercranked to me.  (Ends up being slightly fast-forwarded in the final print.  Gravity is acting too quickly on those cars in the film.)

You gotta see it for what it is, though. 

It's shot for theater viewing, which means they kept the cars small enough in the frame to keep from making the audience barf with motion sickness. (The newer generations of action filmmakers in the last 20 years, raised on television & VCRs, no longer grasp this concept at all.)

It's shot for the pre-VCR era, which means there was no expectation (and no alotted budget from the studio) for them to give it perfect editing & details like a modern show that holds up under repeated slo-mo viewings.

Back in those days it was pretty impressive to hit 100 mph in a movie chase EVER, let alone in a lot of the footage.  The other famous chases of that time, Seven-Ups, Vanishing Point, French Connection, etc . . . lots of shows released immediately after Bullitt, but none actually before it. 
The Bullitt filming was so early in car-chase history that they never even put a rollbar/cage in any of the cars. 

Sublime/Sixpack

I think my favorite thing about the chase scene is listening to the sounds that 440 MOPAR makes.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak