News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Performance Crate motor 360 380hp

Started by 79JON, November 22, 2005, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

I was just wondering if anyone has bought a MP 360  380HP crate motor.    Are they pretty good??  how do you like it?  etc

Chryco Psycho

a friend bough a 390 Hp crate , not impressive , it cost a lot more & made 217 RWHP on  a Mustang dyno, while a 360 I built cost 30% less & made 280 RWHP

Silver R/T

lesson learned build your engine with help of Neil :) you can usually build better custom combo engine at home than to mail order crate engine and you'll get more power too
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

79JON

Thanks for the replies,   I didnt think those numbers would be that low.   WOW :rotz:  
just over 4K for 217hp isnt what i want to do then.   HAHA

cudaken

I have to point something, it all new, never ran. Parts of are engines are starting to wear out that 15 years ago we would never think would. BB Heads are starting to have the Rocker stands break. New is good, but I guess there are still a lot of low miles 360's that have not been bulit.

Besides, you think Ma Mopar stands a chances aginst DR Mopar ;)
I am back

Chryco Psycho

True ... a crate is all new parts & that is definatly worth some , although a seasoned block is better than a new one

dkn1997

I would also point out that that crate motor, even if it put out the numbers, is still not built for your car.  When you build your own, you pick the right parts (cam/comp ratio/intake) for what YOU want to do.  Ma has to make that crate motor "pretty good" for everyone whereas you can make your motor "very good" for what you run.

better off to start out with a known good block, steel crank.    I would toss everything else when doing a rebuild. I had a local shop build my '71 440 short block. the only thing we re-used was the block/crank/rods.  That was 6 years ago and if I had it to do over, I might even consider not using the stock connecting rods with all of the choices out there now.
RECHRGED

Chryco Psycho

essentially the crate really didn`t come up short on power , on a engine dyno measuring gross hp with no accessorys being driven it would make close to the advertised 390 hp
it does kinda illustrate how far from reality a gross HP rating is though

kamkuda

A buddy of mine dyno tests the Mopar Crate engines.   I was at a pull for the 360/380Hp and all the engines made more than the 380hp promised.   Pretty close to the 400HP mark
They do deliver on their promise.  

With that said, I personnally like to engines built to the purpose required as dkn1997 stated.