News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 1st old Charger found and bought it back.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, August 18, 2009, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 20, 2009, 08:52:54 PM
Quote from: FLG on August 20, 2009, 08:36:03 PM
Offer him what you think is fair and go from there. Or better yet show up at his place with the amount of cash you want to spend on it, you would be suprised how quickly people change there mind when the money is right in front of them.

:iagree:

Easier said than done when I live 600 miles away now!    Don't have an address or anything yet.

I do believe I will try to negotiate for what I think is fair tho.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

If anything get the VIN/fender tag info & we can track it......

Good luck compadre :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 20, 2009, 08:11:53 PM
Wholey crap...  got a reply.

IT IS MY OLD CHARGER!!!!!!     :o

Now wtf do I do.   :scratchchin:

:dance: :dance:  thats great news !! still alive after all this time  :coolgleamA:

try to talk him down on price  :yesnod:   ..who am i kidding  !! if that was my old car !! i would be  on my way to buy it  :yesnod:  chance fo finding your old ride again !! is like finding a needle in a hay stack ....  try offering him less once your there  though , but don't let it go !! sorry dude  i'm just getting carried away , thinking if  it were mine  :yesnod:

looking forward to seeing the next part of this story  :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopar0166

good stuff, im really glad to hear that it worked out for ya!    I wont go to heavy on the fact that its your old car or he might wanna keep the price high on  you.   good luck, have cash and say you'll take it right then and there

moparstuart

2nd gen charger R/T  7 k maybe be alittle hi but if it were my old car , I'd be on my way to get it .  :Twocents:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Not to be a "butthead" but $7k is not that far out of whack for a '69 R/T IMO. I paid $5,500 for my non-R/T 4-speed '68 5-6 years ago and that was the going rate back then. It needed a quarter and a half replaced plus a Dutchman, package tray, rear valance and corners and an outer wheelhouse. My motor wasn't stuck but it didn't run worth a crap either. However it was complete and had the original engine. I'd say $7k isn't a smoking deal but it is reasonable.

Has this guy tried barring the 440 over to see if it really is stuck? Even if they're stuck doesn't mean they can't be rebuilt.

charger_fan_4ever

$7k is high if it needs frame rails and unibody work.

But if its mostley complete and has a solid frame rails , unibody, body #'s all match the Vin & fender tag I'd say fair even if it wasn't a previously owned car.

The classifieds in the online section is full of rusty non r/t 2nd generations in boxes for $5k and more.

Everywhere you look you see a rot box 318 for $5000 or more.

694spdRT

It is a neat story for sure. Does the guy remember you? He might either give you a break because of that or try and stick it too you because of the nostagia.

Either way I would try to get the car back if it is important to you and you can swing the $$$.

BTW: Just curious what you sold it for back then. Technically you would only be paying the difference if you want to justify the new purchase price. ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Old Moparz

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 20, 2009, 08:57:29 PM
Offer him what you think is fair and go from there. Or better yet show up at his place with the amount of cash you want to spend on it, you would be suprised how quickly people change there mind when the money is right in front of them.

Easier said than done when I live 600 miles away now!    Don't have an address or anything yet.

I won't give you any input as to what you should do, but do you see that thing under my Road Runner?

The black thing with the wooden deck?

With the wheels, & fenders?   

That drags behind what you tow with? 

It can go from New York to Michigan you know. :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 21, 2009, 02:44:18 PM

I won't give you any input as to what you should do, but do you see that thing under my Road Runner?

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BrianShaughnessy

Thanks for the offer Bob.   I don't expect my jeep is the greatest tow vehicle tho!

I already got one quote ...  I expect others also.   

But I still haven't bought the car yet.   He might have tried to call or maybe not.  :shruggy:

I just got power back 1/2 hour ago.   Storm blew thru and knocked trees down in the neighborhood. 

quapman

My two cents say try to buy it for around $5k and as stated before, bring the cash. Who doesn't like cash?

Hopefully, I'll be doing a similar deal and getting back one of my old JS29U0B's from way back...

Old Moparz

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 21, 2009, 05:37:47 PM

Thanks for the offer Bob.   I don't expect my jeep is the greatest tow vehicle tho!

I already got one quote ...  I expect others also.   

But I still haven't bought the car yet.   He might have tried to call or maybe not.  :shruggy:

I just got power back 1/2 hour ago.   Storm blew thru and knocked trees down in the neighborhood. 

My truck can pull it, it just depends on the time frame if you decide to buy it. Should be no more than a looooong weekend round trip. :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

firefighter3931

Cool story Brian....offer him a few hundred more than you sold it to him for 30 yrs ago.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

Quote from: quapman on August 21, 2009, 06:45:36 PM
My two cents say try to buy it for around $5k and as stated before, bring the cash. Who doesn't like cash?

Hopefully, I'll be doing a similar deal and getting back one of my old JS29U0B's from way back...
True, But who would take anything but cash these days ? :shruggy:

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

quapman

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2009, 08:42:44 PM

Have I ever told you guys what a great grasp I have on the obvious?  :eek2:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2009, 08:42:44 PM

I take change... as long as it adds up to the same amount as cash.. maybe more for my effort in having to count it all  :nana:

BrianShaughnessy

Wire transfer complete...  transport arranged.

My advice for anybody who finds a car....   STFU until after you buy it.  And if it says FIRM... well...  maybe it means that.    :Twocents:

I apparently sparked a lot of interest by posting this....   fortunately I prevailed.
Unfortunate for others.        In a few months I'll be knee deep into this project and probably wishing I hadn't.

I didn't know it was my car... I only suspected it.    Now I know the details that it was / is my car.  Will post up more pics next week I suppose.

Anyway...   put another quarter in the jukebox - play that song again.    Round and round and round and round we go...  when the resto gets done nobody knows.

Rolling_Thunder

Hey Brian - if I understand you correctly you just got your old charger back - CONGRATS!  I don't plan on selling mine but can only imagine what getting her back years later would feel like!    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

terrible one

That's awesome that you got the car. Shame on those who tried to steal it out from under you after seeing the thread. Sounds like you probably sacrificed more than you wanted to/planned to at first but that's one hell of an opportunity!

BrianShaughnessy

Let this be a lesson for anybody that gets talked into selling their old car and
who goes around kicking themselves for selling "that" car and regretting it.   I got a chance.  As freaking weird as this situation is and was - I'm getting a second chance!
It's blowing my mind - this guy was freaked out also.   

I'm actually quite grateful to the guy that has held onto the car for so long...  It'll be a real time machine for me.  I'm grateful he held out instead of handing it over to somebody with not quite enuf $ and also grateful he turned away some GL wannabe's.

I did not expect last week to be looking at another project,  I had no real desire to start anything much lately,  maybe except get the stroker into Black Betty this winter.
I had no real desire to start shoveling cash into another hole in the road....  but here I am.

Now the stroker shortblock will be going somewhere else.

teamroth

Brian, i am dying to know because I am supposed to go look at a 68 that needs some work with an older rebuild on a 360. Did you give him his asking price? If you don't wanna put it out there i understand, very curious though. Best of luck man. :cheers:
Oh and don't play the lotto anymore, you just used up all your good luck.... :smilielol:
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 24, 2009, 08:27:26 PM
     Wire transfer complete...  transport arranged.

My advice for anybody who finds a car....   STFU until after you buy it.  And if it says FIRM... well...  maybe it means that.    :Twocents:

I apparently sparked a lot of interest by posting this....   fortunately I prevailed.
Unfortunate for others.        In a few months I'll be knee deep into this project and probably wishing I hadn't.

I didn't know it was my car... I only suspected it.    Now I know the details that it was / is my car.  Will post up more pics next week I suppose.

Anyway...   put another quarter in the jukebox - play that song again.    Round and round and round and round we go...  when the resto gets done nobody knows.

you got it then , great stuff  :dance: :dance:  ..hows the saying go " you can go home again " :coolgleamA:
looking forward to seeing pictures & more info !!  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html