News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever use F.A.S.T EFI setup?

Started by 68RRFlyer, August 17, 2009, 06:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp 

Just curious if anyone has ever used this kit before and how'd it work for you?  I'm leaning more towards massflo-efi's kit since it's a complete new intake setup, but this sort of intrigued me along the way.  I just read a review about it in Street Rodder magazine, but not much in the article other than fluff from the writer.  Looks cool, anyway! :icon_smile_big:

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

Rolling_Thunder

Mass flo has learning issues with big cams and self tuning it is supposed to be great at...         The FAST is a throttle body injection kit which is OK for street cars and such but full sequential is far superior...      I was originally going to get a Big Stuff 3 controller for all my EFI goodies for my 440 -  but then I got the 6.1L Hemi ---  I still have the EFI intake and crap

If you want more technical info about what works and what doesnt and cost vs. benefit shoot me a PM as I researched just about every EFI system out there.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ChgrSteve67

I would recomend you find someone that does FI conversions and programming for a living and talk with them extensively and if you decide to do it work with them very very closely.

This is not a plug and play project no matter what anyone tells you.

I have been running TBI and I have had it with the computer babysitting and sensor malfunctions.
Not to mention the extensive electrical system changes and issues with not having a sump tank.

The only way I would do it again is with a motor and computer that is already setup and ready to go like the 6.1 HEMI motor.

mauve66

i saw a 6pak setup using FAST EFI at Mopars at the Strip from FBO sytems i believe, supposedly they have been using it for a couple of years on a Jensen interceptor 440 motor

sur elooked cool and can use a stock aircleaner for stealth mode
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Blown70

RICK, knows his stuff.....http://www.fastmanefi.com/

He is a member of moparts as well.  Was in the past associated with Mopar engines west.

Best of luck

Tom

Fastmanefi

Thanks for the kudos.
Rolling Thunder is correct, mass-flo systems have issues with big engines.

Go to my web site, technical downloads, and download the file "All you wanted to know about EFI but was afraid to ask-2.doc.  This discusses various EFI approaches.  I tried to attach it to this response but the system will not allow me to attach a .doc file. 

Then call me and we can discuss the trade offs.

Rich
www.fastmanefi.com
209-247-6497

suntech

QuoteThe FAST is a throttle body injection kit which is OK for street cars and such but full sequential is far superior...     

I am not sure if that is correct. They have 8 injectors in the kit!! Correct me if i´m wrong, but i am pretty sure it is sequential :scratchchin:

One guy to talk to is Tim Banning, at www.forhemisonly.com  :2thumbs:

He is a great guy to talk to and deal with :2thumbs:

Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

68RRFlyer

Rich,

I'm going to look over your site and give you a call.  It'll be going on my 383 in my 69 Charger.  Thanks for the info guys. 

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: suntech on August 18, 2009, 05:08:37 PM
QuoteThe FAST is a throttle body injection kit which is OK for street cars and such but full sequential is far superior...     

I am not sure if that is correct. They have 8 injectors in the kit!! Correct me if i´m wrong, but i am pretty sure it is sequential :scratchchin:

Rolf

The EZ-EFI kit from FAST looks to replace the carb with a throttle body with 4 injectors mounted in it...     making it one injector per throttle bore...     I would assume these injectors pulse just like normal port injectors = they are just mounted higher in the intake track...        I know FAST makes other kits that are multi-port but they require more work to build...      if the EZ-EFI kit was sequential that would be pretty interesting - not sure if it is though ---   anyone know for sure ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Blown70

One guy to talk to is Tim Banning, at www.forhemisonly.com  :2thumbs:

Rolf

Sorry have, and Tim said he really was NOT the guy to speak to about EFI... this was two years ago.... JUST FYI... Richard is who you will want to speak to.  Keep in mind TIM is great with HEMIS,even ( mechanically injected) supercharged ones.  Just not EFI at the time... He did not sound like he was interested in going there either.

YOU can DO EFI, SUPERCHARGED too.. Richard like to put 8 injectors direct to port then 8 in the supercharger hat..... You really do need to cool the charge going through the supercharger, a lot of heat with that compressed air......

Tom

Blown70

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 18, 2009, 08:11:51 PM

Rolf

The EZ-EFI kit from FAST looks to replace the carb with a throttle body with 4 injectors mounted in it...     making it one injector per throttle bore...     I would assume these injectors pulse just like normal port injectors = they are just mounted higher in the intake track...        I know FAST makes other kits that are multi-port but they require more work to build...      if the EZ-EFI kit was sequential that would be pretty interesting - not sure if it is though ---   anyone know for sure ?

Throttle body for air intake the injectors are set in the intake port ( of the intake) not directly in the head..  View some photos on Ricks sight.  I maybe going the Fast efi, NOT the EZ efi set-up.  Time will tell.  I have looked at several different companies and also, will even consider running mechanical injection on the street.   Again, not set in stone...... Still need to do some research on this.....

Tom

Fastmanefi

QuoteI am not sure if that is correct. They have 8 injectors in the kit!! Correct me if i´m wrong, but i am pretty sure it is sequential :scratchchin:

NO - The EZ-EFI system is NOT sequential.  You don't really need sequential when you are injecting where the carb would go.
Key Point:  In order for a system to be sequential it needs a cam signal (a crank signal is once per crank rev - a cam signal is once per cam rev) so that it knows where the engine is in it's cycle.  That's the function of the dual-sync distributors.  The EZ-EFI works with your distributor and has no way to know where the engine is in it's cycle.

Think of the EZ-EFI as an electronic carburetor.  It's not as good as the port injected systems because the manifold is still wet.  Port Injection can be sequential or not, but obviously sequential is better because the system can time when the injection pulse occurs and you can adjust each cylinder independently.

suntech

I was not aware of the EZ system :shruggy:

The one i have been looking at, is with 8 injectors, and getting the crank position from the distributor. I am not going to use their throttle housing.

Totallt agree that the throttle housing with injectors ( That basicly feeds the manifold plenum) is just " an electonic carb"!!

Might be that Tim was not in to EFI two years ago, but he is now, and he is a FAST dealer.

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Blown70

Quote from: suntech on August 19, 2009, 11:47:20 AM

Might be that Tim was not in to EFI two years ago, but he is now, and he is a FAST dealer.

Wow.. ok, well good to know.  I have spoken to Richard via phone,  and would be worth reading up of FastEfi on his site.  I know you have most of your stuff in line but Rich, has some great info posted and is worth the reading time.

Cannot wait to see your build Rolf, that will be a beast.  I am hopping to buy an aluminim hemi next year fall and start toying with it...with Rich's help.
Tom

suntech

Cant wait to see it myself :2thumbs:

It should be a beast, but i am not looking for every single horsepower i can find, because there will be more than i can get on the ground anyway :shruggy:
What i am looking for is a "timecorrect" hemi, with quality parts, that works!!Plus ofcause the benefit i get with a lighter engine, and the improved car balance that gives. That 611 thing started as a joke!! With a 4,75 stroke crank, and 4,522 bore would bring us to a nice even metric number...............10 litres :D

studio57

i had  the dual quad ez- efi kit on my 572 hemi and it did suck big time !! bad support and it works on idle and wot.. but i waisted month on testing it...+3000dollars. now i have electromotive and will test it in few months after the new setup is ready for dyno ,

Tim in ForHemisOnly has good service and support just bought new solid roller cam+ stageV cnc heads + single plane dual quad intake... Tim did give us lots of free tips.. :)

suntech.. did send you email :)
572 Aluminum Hemi + 6speed autom. 1968 Charger XV-motorsports Level II suspension.