News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Foreman72's 1972 Charger Resto Thread (UPDATE: WORK ON SAT 3/20)

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Very cool man! I was wondering how yours was coming along!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

NHCharger

Looks like your front seat might need to be reupholstered ;)
I have a spare bench from my parts car kicking around if you are pinching pennies down the road and want to use it. You can throw a seat cover over it until you get yours redone. Or if it's cheaper get mine recovered and keep it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mopar73

69bronzeT5

Good luck with the car. You got a lot of work ahead of you ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Foreman72

car coming out today fellas...i can't wait

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 16, 2009, 07:38:53 PM
Great story Foreman and all the best with it  :2thumbs: have you decoded it at all? the reason I ask is I see it has RT/Rallye Taillights which were only available in 72 on the Rallye having said that, it does not have a bulge hood...

interested in your thoughts on this mike...do i got a 1 of 1 charger here :D :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

mikesbbody

interested in your thoughts on this mike...do i got a 1 of 1 charger here :D :lol:

You do have a 1 of 1 Charger simply because it's your's!  :2thumbs: if your Uncle? didnt put those Tailight's on there someone else did hang on to them! worth some $ they are  :cheers:

mopar73

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 18, 2009, 09:48:29 PM

You do have a 1 of 1 Charger simply because it's your's!  :2thumbs: if your Uncle? didnt put those Tailight's on there someone else did hang on to them! worth some $ they are  :cheers:
:iagree: :iagree:

Foreman72

well last night we got to the barn with intentions of hauling the charger out of the barn...we started the prep, opened the barn door (which hadn't moved in 20 years) cleared a path thru the brush that had grown up...cleared everything out of the way and began planning our exit...we filled up the tires and took it off the jack stands...it wsa awesome to see it stand under its own power...of course the tires didn't hold air for more than 1/2 an hour but it was still cool to see

so we jacked up the rear, put some 2x6 under the rear tires and used a comealong to ratchet it over...we moved it so that it was at a 45 deg angle to the exit door...the only thing left to do was to was to push it as close as we could to the door so we could get it hooked on to the truck...so i put the key in and shifted into neutral (see pic) for the first time in 20 years...moved it from P thru to D a few times just to make sure it was actually in neutral...so then i got out and we started pushing...no where...it would have been easier to push a yacht...so we jacked up the rear again...and we managed to get the rear passenger wheel to spin after use of some leverage...we moved to the drivers side and this thing won't go anywhere...tried a 3lb sledge to loosen it up...nothing...by this time it was about 9 and light was minimal even with a halogen lamp...

so long story short, it won't move...i soaked the brakes all around in wd-40 in hopes that it might penetrate so that when we go back on saturday we might be a bit better off...

it was suggested to me that i get a 4 way bar and some pipe to get the lugs off, then take off the drums and put a wheel back on...thats just for the backs...no idea what do do with the discs on the front...

so its at a stand still guys...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...i just want this thing in the garage before i leave for school...but we'll see what happens

Eric "Foreman"

b5blue

1st remove all 4 tires and rims 2nd remove front calipers and check that rotors spin (if they don't fix that) 3rd remove drums (could be a pain but do it) 4th service "E" brake so it works (Lube it good and cycle it till it works OK) 5th clean up drum and guts of rear brake till you can stop that thing with the "E" brake if you need to! Don't ask me why it's important to be able to stop it if you need to......ideally you would get the brakes functioning at least marginally but at least the "E" brake. Do that much first!  :Twocents:

Foreman72

Quote from: b5blue on August 19, 2009, 11:31:47 AM
1st remove all 4 tires and rims 2nd remove front calipers and check that rotors spin (if they don't fix that) 3rd remove drums (could be a pain but do it) 4th service "E" brake so it works (Lube it good and cycle it till it works OK) 5th clean up drum and guts of rear brake till you can stop that thing with the "E" brake if you need to! Don't ask me why it's important to be able to stop it if you need to......ideally you would get the brakes functioning at least marginally but at least the "E" brake. Do that much first!  :Twocents:

nah i don't need it to stop now, i need it to roll.. :lol:

but good tips for when it comes time to get it to stop
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Foreman72

i could try that...i think it has more to do with things rusted out than anything :shruggy:

whatever i can try
Eric "Foreman"

69bronzeT5

Damn, looks like the time in that barn did a number to the brakes and everything :rotz: Good luck man! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

terrible one

We ran across this problem when "un-fielding" my buddy's Sport Fury. The rear drums were locked up completely. The parking brake was not set in this case, however.

I suggest you jack up the rear of the car, go ahead and remove both rear wheels (even the one that moves a bit) and see about getting the drums off of there. We used a combination of screwdrivers, hammers, and a crow bar. As posted previously, once you take the drums off and free up movement of the axles you can simply bolt the wheels back on without the drums.

Or if you want to get it to the garage to do anything you can use a comealong to drag it onto the trailer and then back off again at the new home, as long as you have a winching point there (another vehicle works). It can be a bitch but I have loaded a locked up car onto a trailer with a comealong and unloaded it with the aid of a tree.

Foreman72

Quote from: terrible one on August 19, 2009, 01:31:03 PM

We ran across this problem when "un-fielding" my buddy's Sport Fury. The rear drums were locked up completely. The parking brake was not set in this case, however.

I suggest you jack up the rear of the car, go ahead and remove both rear wheels (even the one that moves a bit) and see about getting the drums off of there. We used a combination of screwdrivers, hammers, and a crow bar. As posted previously, once you take the drums off and free up movement of the axles you can simply bolt the wheels back on without the drums.

Or if you want to get it to the garage to do anything you can use a comealong to drag it onto the trailer and then back off again at the new home, as long as you have a winching point there (another vehicle works). It can be a bitch but I have loaded a locked up car onto a trailer with a comealong and unloaded it with the aid of a tree.

yeah...we used the colmealong as much as we could...we don't really have an ancor point...we i supposed we could use the truck as anchor...what about the fronts :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

mopar73

Been there, done that.  It's crude but it works.  You may find that trying to get the rear drums off will take more than a little persuasion to remove.  Give it a try, you might get lucky with a few hammer blows to loosen them up.  As for the front calipers, just remove them.  They'll never come loose.

TexasStroker

Very cool story...

When do you leave for college?  At the very least you can feel good about getting the car up to the garage....the car will certainly appreciate it!  I'd imagine a jack, some stands, and a BFH will come in handy.  Hopefully you can free things up tonight.  If you've got the time you could just clean it up a little bit...you'll appreciate not having to do it when you come back home trying to fit in some working time.

Good luck!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

terrible one

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 19, 2009, 01:35:22 PM

yeah...we used the colmealong as much as we could...we don't really have an ancor point...we i supposed we could use the truck as anchor...what about the fronts :shruggy:

Ah right on. Yeah man trucks make pretty good anchor points . . . positionable and you can hook up to the hitch or wherever.

As for the fronts . . . have you determined that they are stuck for sure? First thing I would do is spend the 10 minutes jacking up each front wheel to see if it's stuck or not. If so, I recommend what these guys said and would remove the front calipers. That should be pretty easy . . . just two bolts to crack and a hammer should have them off pretty easily. You also would need to remove the hose if you wanted to go through the trouble but it's probably shot and could just be cut. Believe it or not you will probably have an easier time with the discs than the drums as far as getting them unlocked.

Good luck man! I know you won't be able to concentrate on anything else until you've got it where you want it!

Foreman72

Quote from: terrible one on August 19, 2009, 02:51:54 PM
Believe it or not you will probably have an easier time with the discs than the drums as far as getting them unlocked.

Good luck man! I know you won't be able to concentrate on anything else until you've got it where you want it!

you think the discs will be easier huh? well...lets hope...

thanks for the info guys...
Eric "Foreman"

Green71R/T

oldrock

our front calipers were stuck and we freed them with some careful prying with a large screwdriver and prybar. Had to replace ours since they were rusted up and were just barely working even after soaking overnight. The good news is Napa caries the calipers and with core exchange they were pretty reasonable. Keep the updates coming and pics too.

Foreman72

Quote from: oldrock on August 19, 2009, 09:13:06 PM
our front calipers were stuck and we freed them with some careful prying with a large screwdriver and prybar. Had to replace ours since they were rusted up and were just barely working even after soaking overnight. The good news is Napa caries the calipers and with core exchange they were pretty reasonable. Keep the updates coming and pics too.

will do...more work scheduled for saturday...

Eric "Foreman"

b5blue

Now is a good time to start a photo log if you have a camera, reference shots early in the 1st stages can help "down the road" when memory fails.(I still strongly recommend getting that E brake to function)