News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Foreman72's 1972 Charger Resto Thread (UPDATE: WORK ON SAT 3/20)

Started by Foreman72, August 16, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Well everyone, i've been hangin around here for 3+ years and for 1000+ posts...i think its about time i begin my own resto thread huh :lol: well heres the story behind my 1972 charger...So about 5 years ago my family was at my aunts house for easter.  My aunt lives in a farmhouse that has been in my mom's family for 7 generations; very historical location.  Over the course of the day, I was talking to one of my uncles about cars and i mentioned i loved muscle cars.  Then he went and talked to my mom for a while.  I went on hanging out with family and then he came back and said he had something to show me.  We walked out to the barn on the property.  Its in pretty rough shape and filled with all sorts of old things from wagon wheels to oil drums to tractors to boats.  But i saw this car.  This green car.  My uncle said this was his car when he was in high school.  Then he gave it to his girlfriend who used it for awhile.  then she got a new on so he put in the barn.  That was 20yrs ago.  He said, I've been trying to think of something to do with it and your mom said it was ok if I gave it to you so guess what?  He handed me the key and I couldn't even see straight.  For the rest of the day I was in that barn pouring over my new treasure.  Now 5 yrs later I have studied everything possible about this car, picked up every parts mag I could, read all the mopar mags ect ect I could and of course joined here.   :icon_smile_big: ...and the best news is, i have found a garage for it and it'll be moving there on tuesday!!

plans are pretty simple...its got a 318 which i think im gonna replace with a 360, put in a 727 and a 8 3/4 rear...bring the interior back to original with the exception of a few things...paint it F7 green (its currently F3) and throw on some cragars...of course sitting at the bottom of a barn for 20 years can do a number on a cars frame and floor...so i have some work to do...but i want to do as much of it myself as i can...the goal is my signature picture

i'm leaving for college soon so unfortunately i won't get to do much work on it right now...but i'll bring some smaller pieces to work on when i have some free time...

so here are some pictures...its really not as rusty as it looks...i cleaned it off the last time i was there and it looks a lot better...wish me luck guys...a life long project will begin on tuesday :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

thanks!!

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

more
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger440RDN

Solid start for a project! I would definitely get the bucket seats for the interior, maybe a roll cage too :2thumbs:

jaak

Can't wait to see some progress on it Eric.....now break out that new tool set you got for your b-day and get to work!!!!!! ;D

Jason

Foreman72

Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 16, 2009, 03:18:16 PM
Solid start for a project! I would definitely get the bucket seats for the interior, maybe a roll cage too :2thumbs:

ah i dunno...i kinda wanna keep the bench man...i dunno...i had a pole up about this very thing not too long ago...still undecided...and the cage? its not gonna be a 10 sec car :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Charger440RDN

Quote from: Foreman72 on August 16, 2009, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on August 16, 2009, 03:18:16 PM

ah i dunno...i kinda wanna keep the bench man...i dunno...i had a pole up about this very thing not too long ago...still undecided...and the cage? man its not gonna be a 10 sec car :lol:

Yeah I know but I think a roll cage looks good in a 3rd gen even if it is for show :smilielol: you might pull up next to somebody at a light and they will think twice about racing when they see the CAGE :lol:

BIRD67

Man it doesn't look too bad, it'll look better once you clean it! Man once you get it done we'll have to go cruisin!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

rick.d

That is a cool story. Ive had two 72 Chargers over the years and have always had a soft spot for them. I almost bought a 72 Rallye, 440 4-spd that was sitting in Epping Auto Salvage for years when i was growing up in Raymond. If you need any help with it, (tools/labor/ect) send me a pm. I think im not to far from you?

NHCharger

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

When you said it was in a barn I thought you meant "barn", not the bowels of a barn. That stone foundation and frozen puddle scream "moisture/rust alert". I love how the screw jack and tree are holding the floor above from collapsing on your Charger.

Where bouts is this garage that your moving the Charger to?

I'm going to make a serious attempt to hook up with you next weekend to drop off your radio. If your Charger is local I'd love to check it out.

I can give you some tips on disassembling it, I'm good at that :D :D
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mikesbbody

Great story Foreman and all the best with it  :2thumbs: have you decoded it at all? the reason I ask is I see it has RT/Rallye Taillights which were only available in 72 on the Rallye having said that, it does not have a bulge hood...

HemiTom

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TUFCAT

I think everyone's dehumidifiers kicked on when they opened this thread!! Wow. That barn looks like an underground Appalachian cave!!

Anyway, I've always admired you on this site and especially how mature and polite you have been.  I also noticed how well you go about gathering information. You sound like you already have this plan well thought out, and you'll proceed nicely with it when the time comes.  :2thumbs:

Don't forget to get that old girl into the sun for some drying time, and good luck on your first year of college. Enjoy.

chargerman67

Good stuff. I am you 8-9 years later. Did the same thing. Couldn't really work on it throughout college. At least as much as I wanted to. It was still my love though. Now I am graduated, finally making money for the car. I have a lot of lost time to make up for. But now I have the means to do it. Good luck with everything!  :cheers:
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

Foreman72

Quote from: HemiTom on August 16, 2009, 08:18:49 PM
Foreman72, dont know if you are already there but if you are not..check out:
http://www.1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

i believe i was the first one to do so from the thread you started... :lol:

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 16, 2009, 07:38:53 PM
Great story Foreman and all the best with it  :2thumbs: have you decoded it at all? the reason I ask is I see it has RT/Rallye Taillights which were only available in 72 on the Rallye having said that, it does not have a bulge hood...

the taillights are one of my favorite things about it...i was pretty surprised myself since i haven'e seen another 72 that has them that isn't a ralley...and i kno my uncle didn't put them on...i have decoded the tag...this has been double double checked... :icon_smile_big:

E44   318-2 Barrel    D34   Std Duty TorqueFlite Auto Trans   W = Charger   H = High   23 = 2 Door Hardtop
G = 318   2 = 1972   G = St. Louis, MO, USA     GF3   Paint Code: Medium Green Metallic
S = Sport    2 = Vinyl Bench   F6 = Green     GF7   Upper Door Frame: Dark Green Metallic
313   Date Built: 3 / 13 / 1972   436348   Order Number: 436348     V4W   White Canopy Vinyl Roof
U   Built to Specifications for USA Order     B41   Front Disc Brakes, Rear Drum Brakes     B51   Power Brakes
G11   Tinted Glass All   G37   Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Chrome/RAC Mirrors   H51A/C w Heater
U25   8.25 x 15 black side wall Nylon     J52   Inside Instrument Panel Mounted Hood Release
L31   Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal    L37    Concealed Headlamps    M21Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M25   Wide Body Sill Molding   M28    Front Bumper Periphery     M31   Belt & Hood Molding
M36   Rear Bumper Periphery/Deck Lid Finish Panel    R11  Music Master Radio AM
V7W   Longitudinal Accent Stripes - White   Y16Sales Bank Order  26   26 in. Radiator

Quote from: rick.d on August 16, 2009, 07:24:38 PM
That is a cool story. Ive had two 72 Chargers over the years and have always had a soft spot for them. I almost bought a 72 Rallye, 440 4-spd that was sitting in Epping Auto Salvage for years when i was growing up in Raymond. If you need any help with it, (tools/labor/ect) send me a pm. I think im not to far from you?

can't thank you enough rick...yeah i live in manchester...thanks man :2thumbs:

Quote from: NHCharger on August 16, 2009, 07:38:12 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

When you said it was in a barn I thought you meant "barn", not the bowels of a barn. That stone foundation and frozen puddle scream "moisture/rust alert". I love how the screw jack and tree are holding the floor above from collapsing on your Charger.

Where bouts is this garage that your moving the Charger to?

I'm going to make a serious attempt to hook up with you next weekend to drop off your radio. If your Charger is local I'd love to check it out.

I can give you some tips on disassembling it, I'm good at that :D :D

brian the puddle is there because we had to dig some to get it up on the stands...i mean of course its been damp down there and all but it hasn't been that bad...man made puddle :lol:

the garage is up the street from the barn...it is also my aunts but its a concrete floor thats clean and such...

both the car, barn and garage are in andover mass...which is a touch far for you  :lol:

and as far as dissaembly tips...i can always use those...the service manual and the haynes got nothing on personal experience...

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 16, 2009, 09:22:46 PM
I think everyone's dehumidifiers kicked on when they opened this thread!! Wow. That barn looks like an underground Appalachian cave!!

Anyway, I've always admired you on this site and especially how mature and polite you have been.  I also noticed how well you go about gathering information. You sound like you already have this plan well thought out, and you'll proceed nicely with it when the time comes.  :2thumbs:

Don't forget to get that old girl into the sun for some drying time, and good luck on your first year of college. Enjoy.

:lol: yeah the barn is pretty sweet stuff huh :rofl:

and as far as the votes of confidence and such, thank you very much sir...means a great deal...looking forward to seeing how things go...for both college and the car...thanks :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

BROCK

TUFCAT summed up perfectly how I too feel - you're a cool dude.

If you are set on converting it to the 72 SE quarterwindow, as in your
sig pic, the only real challenge will be the mouldings.  A previous owner
pried mine off, snap, useless.  I found a pair - but patience & PMs are
key.  The plugs, even handmade, couldn't come out any worse than
the originals.  The bondo from the factory can be a quarter inch thick. 
That is stock :eek2:  Tuffcat Whiskers does now offer the correct
felts for the 72 SE - Maybe KWS got to them :scratchchin: & the
glass stays put - no reason to change it IF there were a difference.

Keep Rockin Bro,
We're on your side!

b

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Foreman72

well the pic in my signature is actually a photoshopped pic...and the base photo i gave DS was an SE...but mine is just a regular hardtop...so no conversion planned :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Bob

Good luck Eric  :cheers:
That dirt floor is your worst enemy right now.
Bob

CDN72SE

Cool story and the car kinda looks like it's waiting to see the light again. Can't wait to see the resurected photos. Good luck with it.
1972 Charger SE

oldrock

eric, I thought you already had yours restored... Looks like you have a good project on your hands though. Just stick with it and over time you will get it done. I know Josh is really enjoying his 72 which is pretty similar to yours. In fact we were cruising around in it some today and had two different guys comment on it. The old chargers are pretty rare these days but amazing how many over 40 guys instantly recognize them. We were putting gas in Josh's today and a guy pumping gas immediately stopped what he was doing and walked over. Asked us if it was a 72 which impressed me. Said he had once many years ago with the same 318.

I will be watching your restoration thread with alot of interest since we might get some good ideas from you. Be sure to keep the pics coming as it progresses.