News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please help me find more sources for forged piston suppliers (383)

Started by bull, August 09, 2009, 09:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Quote from: bull on August 13, 2009, 09:12:40 PM
Well, well. Funny stuff happens when someone actually grabs the micrometer and does some checking. I was talking with the builder earlier in the week and we discussed the engine in detail whereupon we decided a practical approach to things would be smarter. Basically that line of thought involved more facts and fewer assumptions which appears to have paid off. Turns out the old 383 was bored to something less than 4.28 so it looks we can now bore it to exactly .030 over and go with the more economical Speed Pro forged 30s rather than hunting down a set of custom-made .040 over pistons. Like the saying goes, when you assume it makes an ass out of u and me. :icon_smile_blackeye:

well, maybe just you this time :D

glad it worked out for you.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bear

Just so you know if you plan on getting the speed pro .30 over pistons from Summit they don't have them in stock and they wont be made until the fall. But when I got my engine rebuild kit from them they gave me the option of either the KB hyper or Ross forged ones. I took the KB ones and they didn't charge me the difference for the upgrade so they may do the same with the Ross ones too :shruggy:

bull

Hmm. I thought the .030 over Speed Pro sets were plentiful. :shruggy: At any rate, my engine builder told me he has access to a set of new forged 30 over pistons and I don't know the brand for sure yet but I think he said they were Speed Pros. Whatever they are he said a local vendor had them in stock. Now I have to pray that the blueprinting specs will allow their high-tech machine to clean the cylinders up nicely at 4.28. :-\

alcusswhen

Quote from: bull on August 10, 2009, 10:07:17 AM
Quote from: Blown70 on August 10, 2009, 09:54:12 AM
Quote from: bull on August 10, 2009, 07:21:39 AM
Quote from: Blown70 on August 10, 2009, 01:33:37 AM
:shruggy:  Punch the block out to .60 over, done...... anything else?

Oh, I never thought of that. :nutkick:

Ok, well at least at my machine shop that would be a cheaper option than all the others you got going on....... and from the sounds of  it you dont have many options, EH?   :pity:
Yea, but going to the final bore just seems like chugging your two-gallon jug of water two hours after getting lost in the desert or going all-in the minute you're dealt a full house.

Anyway, my machine shop quoted me $2,600 which includes a $400 allowance for pistons so even with Diamond I'm still going to be at or near $3k which isn't too bad. And last night I found a couple guys on Moparts who deal with Diamond so I might get them cheaper than I thought. I just don't think it's a good idea to go from .030 over to .060 over unless I absolutely have to.

The 426 max wedge has the same bore as a hime and you wouldn't have to cut off anything. You can also look at 413 wedge pistons.

Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T