News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stealth Heads

Started by Purple440, August 06, 2009, 06:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

Hey guys I need help talking to machinists who would potentially inspect/work on a set of Stealth heads, after I buy them.  I've called a few local places and I can sense their eyes rolling when I ask if they'd inspect them and do any necessary cleanup.  From reading the posts on getting a new set of aluminum heads, it seems I should be getting them checked by a machinist before installing them, no? 

What should I be asking for from a machinist?  Any advise on what to do on stealth heads (if anything) before installing would be appreciated. I know about the 10* locks/retainers.  :yesnod:

-480 lift / 230@.050
-eddy rpm intake
-stock stroke

Thanks,
- Doug

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 06, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Hey guys I need help talking to machinists who would potentially inspect/work on a set of Stealth heads, after I buy them.  I've called a few local places and I can sense their eyes rolling when I ask if they'd inspect them and do any necessary cleanup.  From reading the posts on getting a new set of aluminum heads, it seems I should be getting them checked by a machinist before installing them, no? 

What should I be asking for from a machinist?  Any advise on what to do on stealth heads (if anything) before installing would be appreciated. I know about the 10* locks/retainers.  :yesnod:

-480 lift / 230@.050
-eddy rpm intake
-stock stroke

Thanks,
- Doug

Doug, give Dwayne a call....he can do a quick cleanup and valvejob correction on those heads.  :yesnod:

He did a set of Eddy RPM's for me and is doing a set of Indy's for me as we speak.  :2thumbs:

Have them drop shipped to Dwayne and he can ship them to you when they're ready to roll !  :coolgleamA:

His shop # is 802-951-1955

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

Ron I have read about Dwayne plenty from your posts.  Where is he located?  I would love to do this as he's obviously trusted by you.  I'm guessing he's up there in Canadian country?  I'm in Minnesota so I'm close enough for some good fishing, but not sure about sending heads?

- Doug

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 06, 2009, 09:42:24 PM
Ron I have read about Dwayne plenty from your posts.  Where is he located?  I would love to do this as he's obviously trusted by you.  I'm guessing he's up there in Canadian country?  I'm in Minnesota so I'm close enough for some good fishing, but not sure about sending heads?

- Doug

Doug, he is in Burlington Vermont....about 4 hrs SE from me. Lots of guys ship stuff from all over the country to him....even the west coast guys send their stuff out to be massaged. Last time i visited there was a complete 540 race engine that was waiting to be rebuilt & dynoed....it came from Oregon ! Shipping is no big deal and well worth it for the quality of the end product. It's nice being able to sleep well at night knowing your heads are top shelf. Nothing leaves that shop unless it's 100% ready to run.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gasoline_24

:iagree: :iagree: I second Ron's suggestion.  I haven't seen his work, but Duane just finished up my heads about 10 days ago and they are now with my engine builder.  I was very impressed with Duane. He was willing to walk me through everything and took time to explain what I didn't know, which is a lot.  Thanks for the suggestion Ron.

firefighter3931

Quote from: gasoline_24 on August 06, 2009, 10:59:10 PM
:iagree: :iagree:I second Ron's suggestion.  I haven't seen his work, but Duane just finished up my heads about 10 days ago and they are now with my engine builder.  I was very impressed with Duane. He was willing to walk me through everything and took time to explain what I didn't know, which is a lot.  Thanks for the suggestion Ron.

You're welcome Gas.  :2thumbs:

Between Dwayne's machinework and Wayne's assembly work you are indeed in good hands.  :bow:

I see many trouble free miles of tire buning fun in your future.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Musicman

Yea... what they said  :iagree: If your going to give them to someone, Dwayne's a good choice... no worries :cheers:

gasoline_24

things are coming together.  I can't wait until I get the call from Wayne telling me I can come down for the dyno.

Purple440

Should I get the heads un-assembled and have him assemble with the new 10* locks/retainers?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 07, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
Should I get the heads un-assembled and have him assemble with the new 10* locks/retainers?

Nope, order the heads complete and just have Dwayne do a nice valvejob and port cleanup. The Comp locks & retainers are a $75 upgrade that is well worth it....Dwayne can get those for you ; he's a Comp dealer.

Doug, we wouldn't steer you wrong.  ;)

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: gasoline_24 on August 07, 2009, 05:15:43 PM
things are coming together.  I can't wait until I get the call from Wayne telling me I can come down for the dyno.

I'm looking forward to those dyno numbers too !  :coolgleamA:

Once you get everything home you'll have to start a new thread with the build details and dyno sheets. Once that's all posted up i'll archive it in the Proven Combo's section....where it belongs.  ;)

Ron

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 07, 2009, 05:41:19 PM
Quote from: Purple440 on August 07, 2009, 05:24:11 PM

Nope, order the heads complete and just have Dwayne do a nice valvejob and port cleanup. The Comp locks & retainers are a $75 upgrade that is well worth it....Dwayne can get those for you ; he's a Comp dealer.

Doug, we wouldn't steer you wrong.  ;)

Ron

Hey I have no doubt about that Ron   :2thumbs:  I just hadn't considered what you've suggested.  I had always assumed the "Dwayne" dude was in Canada when I read about you guys working with him.  Ok so fully assembled and then don't buy the Comp kit from 440Source..got it. 

I called Engle the other day to see how there cams would work with these heads and the springs they come with.  Chris said the spring pressure ect would work just fine with their cams.  At some point I want a k56/k58 grind and I don't want to have to change those.

Topic Change!
In talking with my dad, he's of the opinion that if we ever change out this http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1555&gid=245 Lunati Bracket Master II cam, we'll go roller instead of another flat tappet.  Any thoughts on that, or what the above stated Engle cam would change in my engine performance?

Thanks!
- Doug

firefighter3931

Doug, a k56/58 grind would be a huge improvement over the current Lunati stick....improved idle quality and vacuum for easier carb tuning and more HP and Torque. Rollers are nice but the cost & maintenance can be the deal-breaker for most folks. Figure on at least $1500 to make the switch ; cam, roller lifters, adjustable rockers, new pushrods, valvesprings, bronze distributor gear, electric fuel pump...the list goes on.  :P

The k56/58 will work with your stock rockers/pushrods and the Stealth heads. Performance will be very strong, maybe not roller cam strong, but impressive none the less. I'd much rather see you spend some cash on a nice Proform 750 double pumper.  ;)

Ron

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 07, 2009, 08:23:33 PM
Doug, a k56/58 grind would be a huge improvement over the current Lunati stick....improved idle quality and vacuum for easier carb tuning and more HP and Torque. Rollers are nice but the cost & maintenance can be the deal-breaker for most folks. Figure on at least $1500 to make the switch ; cam, roller lifters, adjustable rockers, new pushrods, valvesprings, bronze distributor gear, electric fuel pump...the list goes on.  :P

The k56/58 will work with your stock rockers/pushrods and the Stealth heads. Performance will be very strong, maybe not roller cam strong, but impressive none the less. I'd much rather see you spend some cash on a nice Proform 750 double pumper.  ;)

Ron

Ron what does an electric fuel pump have to do with it?  I think my 120gph carter should be fine?

Double pumper?  My Eddy 800 AVS is running great!  I love this thing, seriously....my plugs have never looked more tan/brown.

- Doug

Purple440

Anyone what to venture a guess as to the performance gain from going from 452 iron heads to the stealth head?  I see the flow numbers, according to 440source.com, are 280-290 CFM compared to 215-220 CFM on the iron heads.  I don't know how that translates into real world HP/Torque.

c00nhunterjoe

it all depends on your cam/carb/compression ratio combo, but i would say you are safe at 50 hp minimum, with 100 hp as a max

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 12, 2009, 07:34:19 PM
Ron what does an electric fuel pump have to do with it?  I think my 120gph carter should be fine?

Double pumper?  My Eddy 800 AVS is running great!  I love this thing, seriously....my plugs have never looked more tan/brown.

- Doug

Doug....roller cams use a billet core which is not compatible with the fuel pump pushrod. The electric fuel pump comment was in reference to roller cams. If you go with a flat tappet cam it's a non issue.  ;)

Quote from: Purple440 on August 22, 2009, 07:41:10 PM
Anyone what to venture a guess as to the performance gain from going from 452 iron heads to the stealth head?  I see the flow numbers, according to 440source.com, are 280-290 CFM compared to 215-220 CFM on the iron heads.  I don't know how that translates into real world HP/Torque.

The 440 Source numbers are optomistic....real world is 260 cfm. That being said... you should see a solid 50hp increase assuming your stock heads are unported.

Ron

khodne

purple440, there are a couple of us just east of you in St. Croix county that are using Stealth heads.  Some had Eddy's on and some 906's before.  All of us are pleased with the Stealth's.  The post's on 440Source's item's have been taken into consideration and none of us have had any problems.  Good luck and keep your cylinder index high.

Purple440

Thanks for the feedback khodne - are you in the Stillwater area or over the bridge?  If you guys are doing any cruising I'd be happy to join up.  I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Stealths, but not this year.  Did you use a local machine shop or just bolt them on out of the box?

And yes, based on my Garage Logic, I'll keep my cyl index high!  :2thumbs:

- Doug

khodne

We all live in St. Croix County.  Used Quality Engine in Fargo, N.D.  They do excellent work!

Good Luck.

Blown70

Quote from: khodne on October 26, 2009, 05:49:29 PM
We all live in St. Croix County.  Used Quality Engine in Fargo, N.D.  They do excellent work!

Good Luck.

THEY DO GREAT WORK!!! If you have a motor this is known as the best shop in our area... I live in Fargo.

If you want to see Dwaynes work, I can show you the work on the INDY SR. he did for me.... He HAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.....

Tom

khodne

I'm from Fargo as well.  My dad and I have had a couple of motors build there over the years, have never had any problems.  Wayne just finished my 500 stroker last spring.  They are just starting on my dads engine.  Can't beat their customer service!!! :2thumbs: