News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats the biggest mistake made while restoring your charger

Started by riggs626, July 30, 2009, 07:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

I was just curious about what peoples biggest mistake made while restoring there charger themselves

Bob

Quote from: riggs626 on July 30, 2009, 07:30:09 AM
I was just curious about what peoples biggest mistake made while restoring there charger themselves

Cheap shortcuts. Trust me, I know. :Twocents:
Bob

69*F5*SE

Not reseaching every aspect of restoring one before you start.

451-74Charger

69 OUR/TEA

Painting it another color besides black.Just kidding,as others said,cheap shortcuts,and not investigating before you do something.

PocketThunder

Thinking that a restoration was a better idea than spending $15,000~20,000 more the first time and getting a car already done.   :-\
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

blowing up my first 440 :-(

Do it right the first time.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

challenger70

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 30, 2009, 08:45:19 AM

Thinking that a restoration was a better idea than spending $15,000~20,000 more the first time and getting a car already done.   :-\

:iagree: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

tan top

not doing it now    :yesnod:
with the repop trunk gutters  :yesnod:   took me a week of evenings to  fabricate & fit  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopar0166

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: challenger70 on July 30, 2009, 09:42:35 AM

Add me to the list. Maybe twice, since I'm having the bodywork done twice...  :rotz:

Magnumcharger

Replacing all of the rusty panels with Goodmark taiwanese parts...which were the only ones avaliable at the time.
And they're way too thin.

Now I'm in a moral dilemma....to do the car justice, I'm forced to cut off all of this inferior sheetmetal and replace it with AMD panels. ::)
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

1969chargerrtse

Getting expensive junk repo parts and not having the guts to take a stand and return them.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: Khyron on July 30, 2009, 09:20:13 AM
blowing up my first 440 :-(

Do it right the first time.
been there done that , twice  LOL

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

gasoline_24

Hiring someone to do the body work and paint thinking it would cost $25,000 and paying $55,000.

PocketThunder

Quote from: gasoline_24 on July 30, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Hiring someone to do the body work and paint thinking it would cost $25,000 and paying $55,000.

Holy Crap dude!!!!!   :o  :o  See my comment above..  :brickwall:  :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

No mistakes really, just cost alot more than expected. I had fun doing it. :2thumbs:

694spdRT

All in all it was a good experience.....to now have behind me. ;)

There are things that I would have done differently now that it is done. I would have spent more time making sure I had ALL the parts I needed when I needed them so that some little $5 part doesn't keep you from working on the car for a month until you find it.

On to the next Mopar project, just not as intense.  :eek2:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

68charger383

Quote from: challenger70 on July 30, 2009, 09:42:35 AM

:iagree: :horse:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Johnnys70SRT

Not stopping my friends from taking MY car apart !!!! Car was from California and the only problems it had were paint fading on the body lines and lots of small road dings. They took it apart only to desert me. Missed out on 20+ years of cruising because of it.
Now many bodyshops later and thousands of dollars lost, I am hoping to get it back by August 31st,2009. Yes, it will be better than new once I complete it, but 20 years lost on enjoying it can not be replaced.
Look for future updates as my car progresses.

69*F5*SE

Brock Samson

i would have to say, not keeping a tight leash on the shops that did work on my car,.. some of it was communication Bad communication,.. and I have to take half the responsibility for not breathing down the managers' necks while the work was going on,.. Things were done incorrectly and some damage actually occurred while the car was in their possession,.. some examples:
Lug nuts only finger tight led to Pass front wheel coming off car while coming down a steep hill and making a turn..  :eek2: seems some one went to lunch prior to tightening them...
Improperly tuned engine (vacuum line issues) led to a backfire blowing brand new mufflers right off car. This "Inspection/Tuning" was done at a California State Smog Certification station, (They were not liable and I had to eat the cost of another new set of mufflers and the tow home which also damaged my Charger...  :flame:
Rear seat side panels vandalised while in the shop getting new V.top. there the perfect Int. Vinyl panel was apparently slashed with carpet knives by young thuggish vindictive/jealous shop worker/s... I should have known something was up when they gave me the serious stink-eye when i came in the shop to pick up the car,.. I didn't notice the damage till much later and the shop owner claimed it came in the shop damaged. and refused to take any responsibility.
Not specifically specifying where S.E. Emblems and Gold Pass. side Pentastar were to be located, so the S.E.s were drilled into the very center of the roof panel  :o and the Pentastar was about 4 inches too high...  :-\
I had to threaten legal action to get these problems resolved. Infact a friend who worked in a law firm actually impersonated a lawyer and visited the shop at which time everything got fixed pronto.
There was also the time my Charger was left outside in a sketchy area where "JOSE" was carved into the Pass side fender in one inch block letters.
sure there were other mistakes, but overall these cause me the most grief. Most of these damages would have been avoided if I had been much more adament and present visiting the shop to make sure the charger wasn't parked on the street and the items were to be installed properly in the correct location.
Not everything is avoidable however. if some young punk (shopworker) decides to screw your car up you can't defend against that.

Neal_J

Two interrelated things. 

One, underestimating the costs. 

Two, not understanding the poor quality of some repop parts.  While they may look great in the Year One catalog but don't fit, feel or last like the originals.  Consequently, I've bought many parts twice - the repop following eventually by an NOS or nice used original part.  Buying parts twice thus brings us back to the first thing I listed.