News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My official Daytona clone thread! Pictures!! IT RUNS!!!!Video!!`

Started by Charger-Bodie, July 29, 2009, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Sittin ready to shoot primer....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69*F5*SE

Charger-Bodie

OK. Its in finish primer now. I will be letting it set for about a month before final blocking and PAINT!! ....Cant wait to see it painted. Im getting excited.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

General_01

First it was  :buff: :buff: :buff: :buff:

Then it was this in primer  :paintingpink: :paintingpink: :paintingpink:

Then it will be more of this   :buff: :buff: :buff:

Then it will be this in white   :paintingpink: :paintingpink: :paintingpink:

Then it will be   :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Looking awesome Brian! :cheers: :cheers:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Charger-Bodie

Thanks!!

...............And now its back together and it will sit and rest for about a month just be be sure that the materials have released any and all solvents. Then I will get to shoot more white.  :paintingpink:  :buff: .....I need a break anyway though.

jaak

Looking great!
What do you use for your "finish" primer?

Jason

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: jaak on May 02, 2010, 12:52:47 PM
Looking great!
What do you use for your "finish" primer?

Jason

Its Sikken Colorbuild plus. Tintable and very easy sanding,but pretty expensive.

AKcharger

Wow, just tuned in, I'll echo the same comments everyone else has...incredible work! I do have some questions:

1) When you installed the new sheet metal why did you sand the EDP coating off? I would have thought it would supply additional corrosion protection?
2) Why did you elect to "lead" you seams as opposed to plastic filler? I know it's period correct, but I would have thought the added hassle and heath issues would make it less attractive...especially since only you will know?
3) What were your priming steps? Looked like some kind of Epoxy for corrosion, then a sealer, then finish primer?
4) Any word on those 70 repro fenders?

Thanks in advance and again, Super job!

P.S. I', getting a gull wing spoiler for my '72 so then I'll be a wing guy too, just like you guys!  :icon_smile_tongue:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AKcharger on May 02, 2010, 02:07:36 PM
Wow, just tuned in, I'll echo the same comments everyone else has...incredible work! I do have some questions:

1) When you installed the new sheet metal why did you sand the EDP coating off? I would have thought it would supply additional corrosion protection?
2) Why did you elect to "lead" you seams as opposed to plastic filler? I know it's period correct, but I would have thought the added hassle and heath issues would make it less attractive...especially since only you will know?
3) What were your priming steps? Looked like some kind of Epoxy for corrosion, then a sealer, then finish primer?
4) Any word on those 70 repro fenders?

Thanks in advance and again, Super job!

P.S. I', getting a gull wing spoiler for my '72 so then I'll be a wing guy too, just like you guys!  :icon_smile_tongue:

1) I like to have an evenbuild of products from the metal up on the entire car,plus sanding the edp coating off helps to leval of some of the press marks and imperfections from the surface.

2)I chose lead (and most of it was the lead-free solder because it doesnt shrink at all,even the best filler will shrink some if its 1/4 inch thick in the seam trough and thin right next to it. Things expand and contract at different rates and that's when you will see a halo or ghost seam. I cant be having that.

3)The priming steps where....Epoxy,then body filler,then Poly-Surfacer(SlickSand),then 2k urethane Sikkens Colorbuild primer surfacer.

4)I haven't heard anything about the repop fenders since I stopped waiting and went with these used ones.

69 OUR/TEA

AKcharger

I'm "pickin' up what your layin' down" Thanks for the answers...I'll be checking in on the progress, good luck!

69RT3X9

Hi Brian,

Its been a while since I have posted anything, and I don't mean to sound like a broken record after reading many of the other posts, but the work you have done on this car in such a short amount of time is incredible!  My car is not even out of winter storage yet and you almost have this Daytona ready for paint!  Wow, your skills are incredible!  I am looking forward to meeting you and having you do some work on my car someday!  Thanks for sharing the details of your project with us.  Reading your new updates are my favorite part of the week!  Keep up the great work!     :2thumbs:   :cheers:

-Jon

six-tee-nine

hey Brian, 

Besides the awesome job on your daytona, does anyone ever mention the fact that you have a pretty cool shop to work your hobby. I can only dream about a place that large in my back yard......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 04, 2010, 01:36:49 PM
hey Brian, 

Besides the awesome job on your daytona, does anyone ever mention the fact that you have a pretty cool shop to work your hobby. I can only dream about a place that large in my back yard......

Its not in my back yard,although I wish I had a building like it in my back yard. Its a full time collision repair shop, not as fancy as some,but I will put our work against anyone around.

ZSmithersCharges

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 04, 2010, 02:41:41 PM
hey Brian, 

Its not in my back yard,although I wish I had a building like it in my back yard. Its a full time collision repair shop, not as fancy as some,but I will put our work against anyone around.

The shop looks like business is a little lean now or is it a weekend?   I've been doing crash work since 1968 so I know what its like making a living at it.  :'( :'(
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 11, 2010, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 04, 2010, 02:41:41 PM
hey Brian, 

The shop looks like business is a little lean now or is it a weekend?   I've been doing crash work since 1968 so I know what its like making a living at it.  :'( :'(

We are actually very busy. We just pride ourselves on not having peoples cars in our shop on the weekend. We provide loaners,but it still sucks to be without your own car on the weekend if you want to take off and go somewhere.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RallyeMike

Wow, this is impressive. You have a lot of talent and drive. I purposely did not go into the car biz because I thought it would leave me tired of working on my own stuff. Maybe I made a mistake. Great read - can't wait to check back in and see the finished product.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69 OUR/TEA

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 24, 2010, 02:18:44 PM
Yeah!!!! :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:  maybe some sanding and buffing going on??????? :scratchchin:

No paint yet. It is mostly sanded though......

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 24, 2010, 02:09:01 PM
I don't find any words for the work you do Brian. :2thumbs:

Per

Thanks Per!!

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

694spdRT

Is there a ghost in your shop...look at all the orbs in the last pic. :o  Either that or it is snowing in late May.  ;D

Seriously, keep up the great work Brian.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi